Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Wow... Broken plane, but no crashs

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Wow... Broken plane, but no crashs

Old 02-05-2004, 11:43 AM
S.S.Shmavis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow... Broken plane, but no crashs

Well, I took out my Slow Stick for its first real flight at the local schoolyard. This plane is awsome! Power is decent, 4 foot turning radius, and great wind tollerance! I went ahead and tried a couple loops... ok, a lot of loops. The wing dihedral came out to be 15 degrees more. It cracked along one side of the center folding section. I bought some 5-min epoxy and will repair it. I also bought some bamboo BBQ sticks to reinforce the tail section, but how could I prevent the main wing from folding again? Should I use a bamboo stick to span across the center of the wing? What other things have people done?
Slow Stick -----> Extreme Slowstick [:-]
Old 02-05-2004, 11:46 AM
Whispers

Default RE: Wow... Broken plane, but no crashs

Go check out this months issue of model airplane news or go to www.airage.com. They took and made some cool alterations to a slow stick and turned into a 3-D machine. I bought one yesterday to do that. Good Luck!
Old 02-05-2004, 12:45 PM
Billiam411

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Shmave,
Bend the BBQ sticks to the dihedral of the wing, then drill a slot where theh wings connect and tape it there or something
Shmave.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:22 PM
S.S.Shmavis

could you give me an exact link to the article? I can't find it there...
Old 02-05-2004, 08:18 PM
peter93
My Feedback: (2)

Try this link. http://www.modelairplanenews.com/issues/display.asp
March 2004 - Backyard Flyer - Take your Slow Stick from mild to wild.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:02 AM
sledge4055

I had the same problem on my first slow stick only i totaly obliterated my plane as i drove it into a pile of trees that had been bull dozed and piled up in the lot i was flying in when the wings folded on me about 15 foot of the ground while atempting to pull out of a steep dive from a pretty good distance up .. so the second one i bought i used a med to low temp hot glue gun and glued the center fold of the wing together and then filled in the v on top of the wing with the same as best as possible to get what looks like more of a smooth contour in the center and taped over it. I then used pieces of brass tubes with the right dia. cut to fit right over the aluminum spar tubes and solderd the joint together over the aluminum inserted the fiberglass spars in the tubes with 5 min epoxy then instaled the spars as usual and taped the wing with 3 " packing tape on both leading and trailing edges of the wing as well as on top and botom of the center fold of the wing ... stiffend right up I even up graded to eps-350c powersystem same as on the gws formosa and have yet to have a problem and i gota say shes almost twice as fast as the first one i had with very little flex in the wing
Old 03-28-2004, 05:00 PM
Tucson01
My Feedback: (1)

I run the stock aluminum braces, only thing different is that I used 1 inch Fiberglass tape 6 strips from LE to TE then I used 3 strips
Wing tip to Wing tip and used the same tape on the Leading and Trailing edges $2.76 Fiberglass straping tape does wonders have not had a problem. No Flex I can do a 4 foot Loop.

I did install 1/8 Balsa rudder braces soaked in a bit of Ultra thin CA. Just dab epoxy in the spots where they attach , then epoxy them
to the spots.

I was flying yesterday and it was all over the place, inspection showed one Tail brace broke free. Epoxied and headed back out
what a difference it makes with those braces.