Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kavan Fokker Dr. 1 Triplane ARF

I now see that Sig is the US Distributor for Kavan, can anyone tell me their honest thoughts on the Fokker Dr.1?

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Kavan Fokker Dr. 1 Triplane ARF

i have got one but havent built it yet. got mine from hobby people. i have been waiting on an article or something to see what the magazines think but have seen nothing. spent alot of hard earned money and wish i could get information about construction and flight as i think instructions are a little vague. hope to hear something!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am interested in this plane as well, but the steep price has kept me away, for now. I have asked the guys at the LHS and at my local flying field if they have any info about this plane, but the only thing they have said, is that it is way underpowered (easy to remedy) and prone to tip stalling. Scollins, how much $$ was your plane ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I checked around on the web, info is very sparse on Kavan. I did however find another site with alot of info on the plane rcgroups.com at the link below:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=Kavan+Fokker

It seems as if the box stock version is way underpowered and with proper upgrading it will fly well. Landing gear is weak and prone to breaking.

I haven't found a source that has the plane in stock, I think since Sig has taken over as US Distrubutor, there will be some delay in the availabilty. I don't even know if Sig has the plane in stock? If you buy it from them you will pay full retail for it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tower Hobbies has these and all the Kavan electrics on order...so it won't be long before you can get one discounted with full parts support. Don't be a sucker and buy it from SIG.

Yak
    The Cub is the safest airplane in the world; it can just barely kill you.

—Max Stanley, Northrop test pilot

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, its not the Fokker, but I have a Kavan SopwithTriplane and it is great. The stock motor was very weak, so I installed a s300 6v and now it flys very well. Hand launches easily with authority. Street takeoffs in about 3 feet. (no kidding). It does get bounced around a good bit in wind, but, overrall, it a great flyer. I have heard the same thing with the Fokker. The recommended battery only gave be around 2.5-3 minutes flight, so I went up to a 9.6 v 800 mah NIMH. Now, I get at least 10 minute flights. Good luck.
    \"Land Soft, Kill Quiet\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've got the Kavan triplane along with the Albatrose, Pup and DH 5. The triplane has been a favorite and flies almost as good as the pup (the best of the lot in the air). The trick is to get rid of the motor that comes with the plane. That should save you the pain I went thru. I went to a 280-bb motor and enjoy flying off the infield of my local baseball field and 3-5 minute flights with the 6 pack of nicad 350's. It can be tricky in the the wind but overall it's a joy to fly and alot of fun to watch while airborne

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi...do any of you 'Kavan" flyers have,or know much about their Ford Tri-motor on floats ? I have one in the box,and it comes with 3 280 motors with a 8 cell 600 ma ni-cd pack. I dont know much about electrics,but this sounds a little light to me. Thanx in advance....Allen
    Aint no sound like big and round

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

bought my triplane for i think $69.99. it was discontinued by them i think. i have a speed 300 in a scorpio albatros that didn`t fly worth a crap. guess i could put it in the plane. will it shred the stock gearbox? triplanes are my favorite and i would hate to destroy it. the balsa strut landing gear on the albatros was pretty weak also. anybody got a good idea of how to make it stronger without gaining too much weight?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I assume you have your Ford Trimotor out of the box by now. What do you think of it? Where did you get it? (I'm hoping to find somebody in Canada that sells it.) What kind of battery connectors does it use? Tower recommends a battery with the tiny red "electrifly" connector, but pictures seem to show the kind of connector that Hobby Lobby sells for Speed 400.
    I did some web browsing, but found amazingly little looking for ford, trimotor, floats. 2 or 3 stores, and you.
    David