Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ESC

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 02:45 PM
michael marshall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC

Can anyone tell me where I can find a new programible ESC. I am thinking of going to Li-Poly so I need a new ESC. (For CHEAP!!)
Old 02-22-2004, 12:42 AM
Craig c

Default RE: ESC

Micheal, Castle Creations ESC's see>(www.aeromicro.com)are kind of the industry standard for micro ESC's. Their 7 amp control goes for about 32.00$ and is really tiny. Their ESC's have programmable voltage cuttoff's. Their quality is excellent.

Dymond Modelsports>(www.rc-dymond.com)has some inexpensive units in their line up. Their 24 amp controller sells for 29.95$ also programmable.

You didn't mention what amperage you needed. So I'm just throwing out a few suggestions.

I might suggest, that you operate with a timer as well, if you plan on using lipo's. It's cheap insurance that could save your batteries.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:45 PM
michael marshall

Well I dont realy know I just got into RC'ing, I got an Estarter yesterday and I was thinking for going to LiPoly and getting over with it.
Any sugestions?
Old 02-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Craig c

Micheal having built the E-Starter myself I think you would want to try for the lightest package you can afford. The heavier the plane, the higher the stall speed.High speed/Not good for training.

I would opt for E-tech 1200 mah lipo's,they sell for 25.00$ (U.S.)a pack on average. The Dymond 8 amp Esc sells for 20.00$. Cirrus 6.2 gram servos sell for 17.00 $ a piece. Some people like the GWS servo's and Esc's, but I have had quite a few troubles with GWS electronic stuff, but maybe I've just had a bit of bad luck with their products. "Not their planes" I had another pico servo bite the dust today. Grrrrrrr. (Batteries America), sells a 2 cell lipo charger for 19.95$

To keep the E-starter as light as possible, use foam safe CA to glue fuse halfs together. Don't use CA on aileron guide tubes. I am flipping through my E-Strater instuctions right now and I will say that anywhere the instructions say to use GWS glue, you can substitute CA. Use epoxy as the instructions indicate.

Well, keep us posted on you progress Micheal, the items I have suggested, I use myself and have many flying buddies using the same stuff with great success. They are by no means the only options.

Craig.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:12 AM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

Keep in mind that any ESC will work with Li-poly. The problem comes when you rely on the low voltage cutoff. Many people including myself run Li-po on a standard ESC. As long as you keep an eye on your pack voltage and don't let it get too low, you'll be fine. After a few flights you should be able to use a timer.
OTOH I'm a big fan of Castle Creations, they make some great ESC's.

Jason
Old 02-23-2004, 07:17 PM
michael marshall

Well thanks for all your advice. I think I will be going with a normal ESC than. How long will they fly on Li-Poly 1200 mah. Once I thank all of you for all your help I wouldend have done this with out you guys.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:14 PM
Craig c

Micheal,I think about 12-14 mins on your E-Starter with the stock motor, with some power conservation. But you really need to check the batteries to know for sure.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:47 PM
Dr Kiwi

No one ever regretted buying quality - why risk a couple of packs of Lipolys at $25 each by saving $10 on an ESC - get the Pixie 7P or, better, 20P and be certain you are not going to destroy your expensive Lipolys by over-discharging them.

Cheers, Phil
Old 02-24-2004, 01:28 AM
Craig c

I have to agree with Phil, I think I mentioned earlier, the Dymond 8 amp ESC is PROGRAMMABLE ( in other words you can set the cutoff voltage your self) and it sells for just 19.95 $
Old 02-24-2004, 01:35 PM
sierra gold

ORIGINAL: michael marshall

Well I dont realy know I just got into RC'ing, I got an Estarter yesterday and I was thinking for going to LiPoly and getting over with it.
Any sugestions?
I will offer a suggestion that if you are new to RC, I wouldn't jump right into Lipos. I expect you will experience some crashes as a new pilot and NiMh are much more "durable" than Lipos. I would move to Lipos on my second plane.

Sierra Gold
Old 02-24-2004, 06:57 PM
michael marshall

ORIGINAL: Craig c

I have to agree with Phil, I think I mentioned earlier, the Dymond 8 amp ESC is PROGRAMMABLE ( in other words you can set the cutoff voltage your self) and it sells for just 19.95 $
Can you tell me where I can buy a Dymond 8 amp ESC?
Old 02-24-2004, 10:02 PM
Craig c

[link=http://www.rc-dymond.com]Dymond Modelsports[/link]<<<<<Click on the link.