Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

RT Models P-40 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 01:28 PM
Aja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RT Models P-40 ARF

Does any one have any experience with this model. I haven't bought it yet, but am looking into it. I want to put a SPEED 400 6V in it. However, from what I saw, it is fast. Would it be too fast for my yard (about 1.5 acres where I fly)? It seems like a good price for the quality. Any advice will help.

Aaron
Old 03-14-2004, 04:43 PM
Cubano8

Default RE: RT Models P-40 ARF

Aaron,

I was looking at this model from there web page, not bad for $70. It kinda resembles the TDL P-40. It might be the same kit, but for $10.00 less. I did see the short video, and yes it is very fast, so is the Yak. I know that e-flightline.com has a video on the TDL, but for some reason I could not load it in my computer. As for the speed 400, cant help you there, I fly brushless motors, as for the 1.5 acres it will be safe if your are going to fly a fast model for a little more breathing area.

Good luck
Old 03-14-2004, 07:42 PM
Aja

Thanks for the reply. I will take it into consideration.

Aaron
Old 03-15-2004, 10:59 PM
Mark Turner
My Feedback: (29)

Just for the record TDL only imports these birds from HET-RC in Holland. No not my or TDL's design. I simply choose to sell mine a few bucks cheaper than anyone else at this present time

The design was orig for a Speed 400 but everyone is going with more powerfull brushless motors. They are well made ARF's and for the monies spent you can't really go wrong for the price.

The P-40 is based on the design of David Collins from Texas as is the Yak 1 Dave has been designing for quite awhile and does a great job at it. HET-RC takes the design to the next stage with a well made low cost ARF.

They can be pretty darn quick on brushless power [8D] and with a speed 400 an acre or so should be just about right speed wise. I myself will be doing the P-40 on glow shortly so that should be interesting.

Several places sell these birds but if someone needs info feel free to e mail me. And several others are avail including a Mustang Renoracer and a Hein as well.

Thanks,
Mark
RT Models
Old 03-17-2004, 10:14 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be buying one , I have seem the plane on in person at a Pa hobby show, went back to buy one and they were all gone .The quality is second to none , all lasor cut , nice covering and very light .
Old 04-02-2004, 12:20 AM
TDL Model Systems
My Feedback: (2)

Hi guys,

I'm Sefton. I'm with TdL. I'm curious to know how many people can't watch the P-40 video. From the feedback I've received, it seems like the video works for some but not for others. I'm not really sure what that's all about. Perhaps it is a Windows Media Player version issue?? I really don't know. It works for us here. My question is for any of you who might be more knowledgeable about plug-ins and media files. What do I do to fix this? I want to make sure that everyone can see the video.

Help! Thanks..

-Sefton Price

TdL Model Systems
7500 Tyrone Avenue
Van Nuys, CA 91405-1447
Phone: 818-652-9366
Fax: 818-780-4611
URL: www.tdlinfo.com
Old 04-02-2004, 07:30 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see it no problem , confused about the power system used in the video but have no problem with seeing the film
Old 04-02-2004, 06:45 PM
TDL Model Systems
My Feedback: (2)

Thank you LDM. It's good to know that you can view the movie too. I think it's just a matter of the Windows Media Player version, so I'll offer the version download right next to the clip.

Thanks again. Take care.
-Sefton

Come by and see us online at www.tdlinfo.com
Old 04-04-2004, 01:33 AM
Mark Turner
My Feedback: (29)

Needed to edit picture upload
Old 05-18-2004, 06:52 AM
mohr_dave
My Feedback: (6)

Hey there. A quick note/log for anyone interesting in the ramblings of first flights with the Het-RC Yak from this past weekend.

Well, today was not an optimal day for the Yak (Het-rc) , but we took it up anyhow;- ) I decided that the 8x4 prop was a little much for the Cermark 480 brushless motor, but the 7x3 I had was not enough for it. So, I cut down the 8x4 to make a 7.5x4, turning a little over 11,000 rpm. The wind was a steady 20mph, with gusts up to blow you away. AND, the wind was directly across the runway. Did I mention it was raining? Yes, all in all a perfect day huh?

Anyhow, I had one of the senior members of the club fly the plane so I could get some footage. It is probably not the best video ever taken, due to lighting, the size of the plane, the extremely low cloud cover and my ability (or inability) to follow it, but I will post what I have once I download it. Hopefully this week.

The plane flew great! At a little over half power, the plane took off from my hand and climbed steadily. (Oh yeah, the battery is a Thunder Power 3S 2100maH) The power combination is great. This plane will go vertical without a problem, yes we tested that out With the addition of the rudder, there is nothing (!!!!) that this plane will not do. The only thing that we noticed about the plane’s flight characteristics that are different than posted on the site is that the slow speed performance of this plane is fine. I am not sure what anyone else is talking about when they say they have to fly it fast to have it be stable. In fact, with the “out of the box” setup, it flew more stable slower than at WOT. It seems that this is partially because it seems like there is some up-thrust built into the motor. I will correct this later in the week. This, unfortunately, also contributed to the shorter than expected flight. The plane required almost full down thrust at full power and during some “fun” maneuvers, like a series of high speed barrel rolls combined with a spin, the plane cork-screwed itself into the ground. However, on a positive note, this is one tough little plane! The only damage was to the motor mount beams and the wing mount ply. Yes, I will be removing the metric blind nut and replacing it with a 4-40 nut so I can use a nylon bolt to hold the wing down. I don’t know why they don’t put nylon in with the kit in the first place.

Anyhow, I have a very short bit of fixing to do on the plane, maybe fifteen minutes worth, the covering was not even scuffed, and it will be back in the air. That is, after I receive the new motor. The plane fared better than the motor and the end bell was blown off the motor. Next!

Well, that's it for now, video will be posted when I can, what there is of it....
Old 05-31-2004, 10:57 AM
mohr_dave

Hey again. Well, I have gotten my second flight out of the Yak this weekend. The first weekend's video did not turn out very well, due to the weather and poor lighting conditions. I did manage to get better video this weekend. Again, the wind was not ideal, as we had twenty to forty mile per hour winds. There is a shot of the flag in the first couple of seconds to give an idea as to the wind. Anyhow, the plane flew great. I ended up running a 8x3.8 prop, turning just over 11000 rpm. This was plenty of thrust, even with these windy conditions.

The video is in .wmv format. How do I upload a video to the site????

Dave
Old 05-31-2004, 11:03 AM
mohr_dave

Oops, forgot one other note. This Yak is distributed through http://www.warbirdkits.com/ through Het-RC.

Dave
Old 07-03-2004, 04:42 PM
mohr_dave

Video of the Yak flying: www.geocities.com/mohr_dave/yak.html It's in realplayer format and takes a little time to load, but it clearly shows what you can do with this plane. The prop that I finally settled on is an 8x3.8. Top speed is only about 40mph with this setup, but I really enjoy the abilities of this plane!!