Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

glow powered park flyer

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 08:54 PM
uonlylivetwice
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glow powered park flyer

I don't know if this is realistic or not. I simply don't get to a flying field as often as I'd like, but I do have a nice park available to me, which is VERY infrequently used by anyone. Is there a 'park flyer' that would run on a small glow engine, say a .10 or .15, and could fit standard servos and a standard receiver/battery pack? If not, what would I need? Just small servos/rx/batteries? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2002, 06:51 PM
SRA Foam Flyer
My Feedback: (11)

Actually just about any electric spd 400 and up make great conversions. I have done several my latest was a firebat. It has slots prcut for standard servo's to. Just a few mods, the main one fitting a fuel tank, and it works great. Depending on how big you want to go, it usually just involves a ply firewall and fuel tank platform, and fuel proofing the aircraft. Somewhere between then and now they skipped making planes for 1/2a and went straight to electric.
Old 06-16-2002, 04:21 PM
turbojoe
My Feedback: (8)

I love it! I can always come to RCU and find the exact question I have already asked.
I too am thinking about a park flyer but it has to be glow powered. .10-.15 size. I'd also like to be able to use my existing radio gear. Any suggestions for planes or even plans for a first time park flyer?
Old 06-16-2002, 04:29 PM
SRA Foam Flyer

What aircraft type are you looking to fly. The requirements to power a spd 400 glider is alot different than a spd 400 aerobat.
Old 06-17-2002, 03:42 PM
uonlylivetwice
My Feedback: (2)

Default which plane

Personally, I am looking for a single plane I can have on hand to take to the park. I'll still spend most of the non-flying time I have on larger planes. The only requirements I would say I have is that it be capable of relatively slow, easy flight, and be capable of handling light wind. As for wingspan, etc. , I am open. Any rule of thumb to match a glow engine to a certain weight/wingspan plane?
thanks again!
Old 06-17-2002, 07:00 PM
SRA Foam Flyer

Maybe just look through hobby lobby's website and pick from there. When you select a particular aircraft most of them have a "here's how it comes out of the box photo" to get an idea of what your getting into.
www.hobby-lobby.com
Old 07-09-2002, 04:47 PM
fotta

I have a .15 powered SIG WOnder that I use for exactly that purpose. Easy to transport, uses standard radio gear, easy on fuel, fast, agile, hand-launched, inexpensive,.... what more could you want?
Old 07-09-2002, 04:52 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Kyosho, World Models, and Global make a .15 sized trainer that would work for you. For kits there is the Dynaflyte Butterfly.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:11 PM
bryman298l

kyosho makes a ferrias ep trainer that comes with a 380 motor that ive made into a .15 size plane. I made the ruder and elivater oversized and made the motor bolkhead alitle stronger with thicker plywood and put x braces behind it. i put S132h sevos in it those are old kind of micro servos but they work greet, they are the perfect size for it. I made it into a tripod stile by puting the landing gear farther back and put stering linkage on the front so that you can taxi it around. My fist flight with it was prety fun but the wing isnt the best. I made the mastake of not making the wing stronger with braces. I flew it with the stoke wing and i got to close to a bush and the wing ripted in haft and stuck in another bush. but i had an old glider wing that was snapted in haft so i cut the two end tips of the wing off and opoxied them together. The plane flys beter then before and is alot stronger. the entena got cot under the ruder and it cartweeled into the ground, picked it up and ceaned the dirt of and started it and it wasnt broken it still flew. I also did a power spin from about 100ft strate into the ground,(servos ran out of batery).picked it up and only thang broken was the prop and the remote needle on the engine. She still flys good need amonocote joob but still flys perfect, the wings indistructible! It douse perfect loops, tork rools, but is prety hard to fly inverted.

Bryan
Old 07-22-2002, 05:18 PM
dleppard-RCU

I am interested in electric to glow conversion also. I just saw an ARF Extra 300 from Wattage with about a 32" span that looked very nice to me. I like aerobatics, and I am wondering what size glow engine i would need in order to get unlimited vertical and still be able to slow down for short field landings. This plane was designed for a geared speed 480.

What about servo and receiver size?

What about diesel conversion with a small PAW diesel or its equivalent?

Thanks for your help,

Dave Leppard
Old 01-08-2003, 06:28 PM
tiggerinmk

I'm currently putting together a Ripmax Zephyr.

This plane has a 60" polyhedral wing and is a very lightweight structure.

The instructions are for glow or electric and the appropriate parts are included to mount either a motor or engine.

I'm building mine for glow and am putting an OS 15LA in it. I've heard that this will almost be too powerful for this plane.

All other posts I've read on this plane have been for electric so I'll probably post some piccies of my glow version soon.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:49 PM
Balsa

what about a SIG Rascal they are desighned for a geared 400 or a 0.49-.10 sized glow.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:07 PM
cabanestrut2002

Default dleppard-the wattage extra

this is my jamara extra(same plane as wattage but different colour scheme!)
converted from electric to .12 glow, was easily done and the performance is great, even knife edge. probably a bit fast for the local park , but a lazy bee would be ideal for a .15 sized park flier,.slow, tough(!), fun#
i get vertical with the .12 but only just, a .15 would be more than enough power for this extra, i am using a standard receiver with four micro servos(if you look close in the pic, i moved the tail servos from inside the mid section fuselage(under the canopy)to under the tail for less friction, it also cured thenose heavinmess without having to add dead weight.
i dont know enough about diesels to comment on that conversion, but they might be a bit noisy for a park!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	45999_20111.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	9133  
Old 02-08-2003, 11:57 PM
eballz

Default its possible

I have successfully built a glow powered park flyer that some of you describe. It was quite a daunting task to be honest, but then again, I converted a large control line model to RC. The kit was never designed for RC.

The model specs are as follows. Remember I had to modify the airframe significantly to accept the servos, fuel tank, etc. - but that may not be necessary if you are just converting from an e-power designed kit to glow. This was an especially small aircraft and a personal challenge to build. Developing a decent lift-to-weight ratio was especially hard considering the amount of wing available and internal components involved:

Guillows Spirit of St. Louis
Wingspan: 36 1/2 " (extended from 34 1/2)
Radio: 4 channel hitec micro reciever/servos
Engine: AP Engines Hornet .09 R/C (yes, its throttled)
Fuel tank: 2 ounces
Weight: 24 - 26 ounces RTF
Stability: Stable, but not in a moderate breeze =)
Flight times: 7 minutes on about 1 ounce of fuel
Crashed = not yet!
Old 02-09-2003, 03:29 AM
4 stroken ron
My Feedback: (29)

Default LAZY BEER

There it is. It took 13 post to get here but that is the correct answer tho the origanal post. 15 Powered Lazy Bee.
Or even a OS 25 4 stroker in the BEE.........Ah nice.
4 4 4 4 stroken ron
Old 02-10-2003, 03:47 PM
tiggerinmk

uonlylivetwice,

I was going to post a report on the flight characteristics of the Zephyr, but then I realized you originally posted the question last June!

Did you ever get a suitable plane?

If so, what did you choose?