Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

My Beaver w/ home made flaots!

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

My Beaver w/ home made flaots!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 11:20 AM
scott88-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Beaver w/ home made flaots!

Today my friend and I bored, thought about what we could do to waste time. The thought of floats popped into both of our heads. We started to repair my Beaver because it had some major repairs needed. The horizontal stab was broken and the vertical also so my friend put balsa in for the foam stabs. While I made floats out of packaging for a new tv we just bought. Well after an afternoon's worth of work here is what we've got. Still in the testing stages. It's a little tail heavy so we'll add a little weight on the nose tomorrow and hopefully it'll fly great then out to the pond for some marine action.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38708.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	112007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26562.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	112008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91809.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	112009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58759.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	112010  
Old 03-16-2004, 09:51 PM
scott88-RCU

Default RE: My Beaver w/ home made flaots!

Tested the bird today in some grass and it flew fine. Then we went out to the pond and she wasn't stable. So I tried to do the most graceful landing I could and ended up nosed into the water. Funny thing is that the motor still worked in the water and so did the servos. The plane dried out and we're going back out tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28927.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	112253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75062.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	112254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60948.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	112255  
Old 03-16-2004, 10:25 PM
bribri543

Thats cool that your floats worked. I tried to make my own, but they were too heavy, even though it was styrofoam and half a soda bottle. I just got the dubro skis for christmas so that worked.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:10 PM
Keester

Nice effort on the floats! I just put together my first Beaver yesterday, I have a few planes and some experience and I didnt expect the beaver to be so touchy [I think I need to lesson the rudder throw] other wise it flies great. It really banks hard in a turn. I am waiting for some GWS floats to come in to my LHS soon. Want to try them on my hopped up Tigermoth too. Hey what prop are you using, it looks longer than the 10X8 they come with. I was thinking of trying a 11X8 up here at my altitude. I can usually go up a pitch and larger where I fly [around 5000 ft ele.] I also think your repair with the tail feathers is good too, I think they are a weak link in this model. balsa should work well.
Good luck
Keester
Old 03-17-2004, 05:38 PM
scott88-RCU

I used an 1147 on this attempt. I don't think it had enough speed though. I'm going to try a 1080 on my next outting. And I think I'm going to put ailerons on it to make it even more flyable because I really don't like the elevator rudder combo it just isn't an easy flyer thus why I didn't fly very long. My friend and I thought that even though the new rudder is identical to the last that the new one needs to be a little bigger.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:04 AM
scott88-RCU

I finally found time to inspect what went wrong on the bird and well. Even though my friend did a terrific job on the stabs the hinges didn't exactly cut the mustard. The rudder was attached by a large once used sticker and it had come loose. So instead of just moving left and right it could move forwards, backwards, up, and down. Not to say it was just that... it just looked like that was a problem to my eyes.