Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Sky Scooter Pro II questions

Old 07-16-2003, 02:03 PM
sargentw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sky Scooter Pro II questions

Will the Sky Scooter Pro II handle wind? How is the Scooters flying performance compare to other park flyers?

Thanks,
Old 07-17-2003, 02:27 PM
erics1611

According to the Hitec website, they say "The Sky Scooter will fly in a breeze up to 10mph".
http://www.hitecrcd.com/Funtec/firstflight.htm

There is almost always a breeze blowing where I live, but I don't know how fast it is. It seems to do ok but does noticably slow down when going into the wind. Someone here recommended trying a slightly bigger prop, so I'm going to try the APC slo-flyer 10x7 and see how it goes.

As for comparing to other park flyers, I'm just getting back into flying and only have 1 other one the Wattage J-3 Cub (got it on sale at Hobby People). It flies ok, but its a fast flyer and there is no speed control (just on/off). Its also so light that a breeze tends to knock it around and makes flying it a little more "exciting", whereas the Scooter is much more stable in comparison.

The Scooter to me is a whole lot funner to fly, and not having to try to land on a runway is a big plus too. Its hard enough finding open areas to fly around here, let alone finding one with asphalt / concrete for landing on. The Pro II combo was a great "gettin' back into it" kit for me as well.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:34 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I flew mine recently in 22mph winds. Going upwind was slow and sometimes just a hover. Plane handled it well. I was surpised!
Old 07-28-2003, 02:37 AM
tks1
My Feedback: (1)

The sky scooter is a blast for a quick flying fix. It does slow down into the wind a little but it handles well and stalls gently. I just bought a Sparky 400 and am very disappointed. I would take a scooter any day.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:11 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

I have flown my Scooter in 10-12 mph. winds with no problems. It does slow down some into the wind as others have said, but not enough to keep from flying it. I ordered some 8 cell 1800 Mah Nimh packs off ebay, I hope that will give it a little more oomph, and should increase flight time some too.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:27 AM
sargentw

Got my Sky Scooter Pro II in from Hobbypeople.com Looks pretty cool. For $149.00 bucks you get top notch 3 ch HiTec radio equipment, receiver, and servos all preinstalled. It also comes with a nice charger that also has a built in no brainier timer to keep you from cooking the NiCad pack that ships with the plane.

Also received my ball bearing Scooter gearbox and prop upgrade from servocity.com

To get started, I removed the gearbox and fired up the motor for an hour or two of no-load variable speed break-in. Good thing I kept an eye on it because there is no cooling method installed on the Sky Scooter and that motor got real hot packed in foam. I pulled the motor out and cut external vent holes that match the vent holes on both sides of the motor. I understand the upgraded ball bearing aluminum gearbox I bought will also act as a heat sync.

I painted the body and upper wing light blue (foam safe spray paint) and the underside dark aircraft grey. The existing gear on the motor seems hard to move/remove to install the new gearbox. The new gearbox has it's own gear to install on the motor shaft. I ordered another speed 400 motor from servo city with no gear on the motor shaft.

I should be ready to fly soon. I purchased scooter to practice with while I build another Terry Graupner. I welcome any comments and good ideas about the Sky Scooter. I appreciate all the feedback so far.

Fair Winds...

Old 07-31-2003, 04:20 PM
Mike Ledbetter

Default Sky Scooter II

I painted mine blue on top with yellow wingtips. The underside of the wing and the tail feathers are also yellow. Flies great with the stock set up. I used packaging tape on the leading edges and wrapped around the nose. Also taped the bottom of the fuselage where it scrapes during landings.

I drilled holes in the foam for added air movement around the motor. Finally, I put a bamboo skewer vertically through the front of the wing to hold it securely centered in the fuselage.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:00 PM
sargentw

The Scooter flys great! It turns on a dime! Looks cool too! Plenty of power. 10 min flights+ with standard pack and ball bearing upgrade.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:22 PM
cajunflyer
Banned
My Feedback: (-1)

here comes a couple of other pics...this is a fun plane to fly once you get a handle on it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	101232_42679.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	54106  
Old 08-12-2003, 10:22 PM
cajunflyer
Banned

Originally posted by Dave Barrow
I have flown my Scooter in 10-12 mph. winds with no problems. It does slow down some into the wind as others have said, but not enough to keep from flying it. I ordered some 8 cell 1800 Mah Nimh packs off ebay, I hope that will give it a little more oomph, and should increase flight time some too.
Make sure you do a forced air ram to keep the motor cool. I melted my hot glue and actually the foam around the motor. The hole was huge and I could barely get the motor to stay in place for there was no where for it to rest. I just got finished putting my new fuse together. Some guys like to take half a spoon and ram it in a hole on the side of the nose, I did the same. It seemed to make the nose very weak. I skided off into some tall grass on the side of my little runway and the nose snapped. So this is that I did ( see picture). I cut a small slit about 1/4 inch wide with about a 35 degree angle on the front cut. I then epoxeyed about 1/3 of a plastic sppon to the side. I also did the opposite on the other side. You just have to take the motor and hold it up on the side of the nose and figure where the opening will sit. Good luck.

Name:	101231_42679.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	54105  
Old 08-12-2003, 10:23 PM
cajunflyer
Banned

number 3

Name:	101233_42679.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	54107  
Old 08-13-2003, 11:13 AM
sargentw

Thanks for info.

I used white weldbond glue to reseat the motor. I also did the mods and added the metal gear box suggested here.
http://www.servocity.com/ServoCity/P...etup_tips.html

I purchased a 1600 mah 9.6v nimh Radio Shack battery. It fits in the slot and is slightly heavier.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:35 PM
Mike Ledbetter

Default Just burned up my motor

Running 5 battery packs without any cool-down. Popping in a new 400 with some bigger cooling holes in fuselage. I use epoxy for the motor mount. After that one burns up, I'm getting a whole new scooter and motor, but they're on BACKORDER now :disappoin
Old 08-13-2003, 06:12 PM
sargentw

It's on sale here for $159 + $15.00 discount if purchased before Aug 30th. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...p?&I=LXCTE7&P=7

Website says: Instock!
Old 08-13-2003, 06:16 PM
cajunflyer
Banned

yeah but if he already has one with a radio he can just get the arf kit for 59.99 at servo city...just be careful pulling the gear off the shaft of your motor and you can reuse it..that is what i did since i am using the stock gear reduction
Old 08-13-2003, 06:21 PM
sargentw

Good point.

BTW: How do you get those gears off the motor without messing up the motor bearings?
Old 08-13-2003, 06:25 PM
cajunflyer
Banned

well my motor was pretty much shot so i took the entire thing apart. I then set the gear inbetween a pair of needle nose pliers. Took my time and taped on the shaft . slowly but surely in came off. Just be careful for that gear is soft brass..I dinged mine up a little but it still works
Old 08-14-2003, 02:06 AM
PHIL I.

Default Brass gears are soft..

and they dont really last. If you take them of, they don't really work well again. I usually take a set of dikes and cut them off. If you cut along the teeth, not 90 deg. to the teeth, you will not damage the shaft cause the dikes will slip past it. Not bite into it.
PHIL I.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:34 PM
Mike Ledbetter

Default Yes, I just want the ARF for $60

I took off the brass gear with a pair of wire strippers. Put the shaft in the right sized hole, closed the tool and pulled straight up.