Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

You can do loops with a firebird II

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

You can do loops with a firebird II

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 12:40 PM
LTSharpe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You can do loops with a firebird II

I didn't think you could but it's perfectly possible because I've done it. You need a bit of breeze and get yourself up fairly high say a couple hundred feet at least. Then go into a spiral dive ie death spiral at full speed(I use left full rudder), then around 30 to 50 feet off the ground or so pull out with a hard right rudder(The direction you pull out has to be into the wind. ). How much throttle you give it and at what time is important as well because you don't want to plow into the ground. At any rate using the above procedure I have done vertical hairpin loops and today I had a more natural broader loop. My best loop was with the greatest speed. I dove from around 300 feet at least. Plane makes a great whine when you pull out. I keep expecting the wing to snap in two but it hasn't happened yet. I've done other bizarre maneuvers but I don't know the official names for them My loops have been all done with the standard wing and the 4.8 volt battery.

One note of caution: For one, don't plow into the ground because it's a real bummer..and second when you come back out of your loop you better have some good altitude and a big open area. My problem is I have trees around me in certain spots and if it's too breezy then I tend to plow into a tree or the ground when I bank back around to gain altitude into the wind again.

These FB's are to me just the most amazing little airplanes. I never thought I could have flown an RC plane before I got one of these. Plus no noisy gas engine or super dangerous propeller(I still wouldn't want my fingers in this though either..)

Spare wings are 10 bucks and even my local shop carries them so that's a nice plus.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:21 AM
xphasor

Default RE: You can do loops with a firebird II

Dude that sounds wild. I'm thinking you sound just about ready to do yourself the favor of putting together something with a symmetrical sectioned wing that INVITES you to behave inappropriately!
Old 03-26-2004, 12:29 PM
RC Sumo

AWESOME! Man...that is just fantastic that you can get that lil bird doin that!!! I have an Aerobird Challenger and almost crashed after I pulled my first loop from excitement. I can't imagine how cool it was to do it with your Firebird...much harder to do as you found out. I actually folded my last wing trying a high speed loop coming out of a dive...not quite fast enough to generate the a whine but the motor did sound different....was awesome to see though, pulled up @ 20 feet and WHAM! the wing folds( it was weakened previously by an encounter with a cherry tree) and suddenly I had a growling dying orange vulture falling to the ground. I didn't stop laughing for 2 days...it still makes me giggle. I'd take 10 of tose types of "crashes" versus encounters with trees and my impression of R/C Lawn Darts! Man are these things fun! I need to repair that wing and try that again.....[>:]
Old 03-27-2004, 10:26 AM
LTSharpe

Yup managed to do several loops now. Two were nice broad loops where I actually was horizontally upside down for a moment. I had an unfortunate accident a couple days ago now though. I went into a really high steep death spiral and for some reason the plane wouldn't pull out at the proper time, just wouldn't respond.. Well I plowed straight into the ground and buckled the wing and smooshed the nose some(more). Otherwise all is well I think Lot of big tall weeds here so landings are usually fairly soft.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:38 AM
RC Sumo

SWEET! I actually was able to pull a double loop and a mini spiral all in the same movement today for the first time! The dang thing sounds angry pullin speed and G's. Absolute best day flying ever. Days like today are what we get into this hobby for.

Check your control board mount after a hard crash....you don't want that loose. It can break in hard impacts...but you may not notice it @ first. But it will cause serious control issues.....
keep it up! I have a friend who is flying one of those and i keep telling him about your flights...i will need to send him here so he can read for his self. He has had a hard time with his Firebird

have fun!.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:57 PM
LTSharpe

Since I wrecked the yellow wing in a crash I am now t rying the red wing. Plane is REALLY responsive with it and the 4.8 v batteries. I haven't tried the 6v batts with the red wing. Anyway haven't done a loop yet with the red wing but I've come close. It's a little hairy because when you go into a spiral you go FAST and you better pull out or else your toast. I've pulled out so far but I have been more worried about maintaining control than doing a loop when I pull out! har har