Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Aerobird control anomaly

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 03:33 PM
B2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerobird control anomaly

My Aerobird (original) does something strange. When giving right stick, the left rudder on the tail moves up and the right moves down just a little. This makes the plane turn right about level. When giving left stick, just the right rudder moves up, no motion on the left at all. This makes the plane pitch up quite a bit in left turns. Is there any adjustment that can be made on the receiver that will correct this? I noticed some pots on the circuit board. Is it in the transmitter? Any help would be useful.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:13 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Aerobird control anomaly

Since this is an original, I presume it is not new.

Have you changed the tail? You might have crossed the lines inside the boom when you were hooking them back up so that they are intefering with each other under certain circumstances.

Or, make sure the rubberband under the tail is equally tensioned. I pluck them like a guitar. If I get about the same note on each side, then they are equal tensioned.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:19 PM
ijustski

I suggest two things. The rubber band tension must be checked (make sure nothing is lose). Do the trim check. Set trims to the center and adjust the tails so they are even. You should have a nice tension (if not read below).
Make sure the servos are pointing at each other and nothing is obstructing them. You have to take apart the bird to view this. I have had a smiliar problem and this resolved it. Just the right crash will cause this to be problematic. Also makes sure your lines are tight and secure. If they aren't then you should make sure your computer is securely mounted in the plane. It comes lose after many crashes.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:15 PM
MD2020

Inside of the transmitter, where the stick controls the left & right movement, there is an adjustment that has the plastic spot welded in place. When I have had to replace My fuselage a couple of times (another story), I saw the same control action that you described. I popped the adjuster loose, & got it custom set for the new fuselage, & then stuck it there with a soldering iron. Each fuselage seems to be a little different.
You have to take the screws out of the back, & take it off, & put the batt's back in & study how it moves the elevons on the plane, & then adjust it so when you move left or right, the other elevon doesn't move. Be sure that the trim is centered.
After that, you have to re-adjust the lines on the plane for straight flight.

If you try this, good luck. I didn't have much difficulty, & it took less than an hour.

MD
Old 03-29-2004, 11:18 AM
B2

Thanks AEAJR and IJUSTSKI
It is new, It just sat around the store for a long time. Got a good deal on it.
The control lines and rubber band tension seem OK
I think MD2020 has the right idea. I was fooling around in the transmitter and seemed to make it better by messing with the trims. At least it seemed better on the bench but flying it was not as good as I was hoping. I will try again with the trims and see if it gets better.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:44 PM
Harry Mudd

My ABC did this same thing right out of the box. Not a big deal cuase I just threw it into pro mode and they both move normally.