Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Slow Stick CG

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 10:35 AM
flying_frog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Stick CG

Here is another question on CG...I am using Li-Po batteries in my Slow Stick. The wing LE is exactly where it belongs (4.75 in. from the nose), the battery is as far forward as it can go...does it make sense to have to add almost 3 oz. of weight to the nose to balance this thing. I have not added anything to the tail. Servos and receiver are as far forward under the wing as they can go. At a CG point of 65 cm from the LE, I cannot keep the plane on my fingertips without any additional weight. I know the Li-Po batteries weigh less than NiCad, but not 3 oz. Any suggestions?
Old 04-01-2004, 11:01 PM
NeoLogic

Default RE: Slow Stick CG

yea, I have a suggestion since I have the same setup... move your wing back. Mine is almost 6 inches from the front of the fuselage.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:42 AM
flying_frog

Thanks for the info. I moved it back to about 6" and it seems to be perfect. Going to try it out tonight....thanks!!!
Old 04-02-2004, 01:38 PM
NeoLogic

Good luck!

I haven't flown mine yet... still waiting for the radio. All the guys at the shop have the same setup, that I do. They have no problems
Old 04-02-2004, 01:45 PM
flying_frog

I have to repair a servo gear, but plan on taking itm out this weekend. I'll post a note and let you know how it goes...weather permitting.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:33 PM
Dopesick

You could also leave the wing where it is, and shift your servo's as far forward as you can get them.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:44 PM
flying_frog

I tried shifting them forward...still not enough. If I swap out the Li-Po battery with a NiMh or NiCd, that added weight helps, but I rather get the loner flight time.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:45 AM
Tucson01
My Feedback: (1)

Frog,

Did you try my setup? from the " Slow Stick Info" post?

Every good flying SS that i have seen or read about has the Battery forward of the Wing.

Good luck! Have a blast flying.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:50 AM
flying_frog

Tucson...I did move the wing back and the servos up. That balances perfectly without the extra weight. Went to fly it last night at a golf dome our club rents out. Went to leave and found that one of the servo gears were stripped and the receiver crystal was missing. Leads me to believe that one of my kids was playing with the plane and messed it up. Needless to say, my kids are now for sale.

So todays project is to fix everything, and weather permitting, try this out. Little windy here today so I may have to wait a few days. I'm dying to fly this.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:04 AM
Tucson01
My Feedback: (1)

Kids for sale... Hehe

I have wanted to put my wife up for sale a few times, you know... Has anyone seen my hobby knife or allen wrench set, tape, screwdriver, etc...

I put a dab of the 100% silicone on my crystal to keep it from removing itself

I got my FMA super20 mini ESC to intall today if weather permits I will try and get out and test it bit windy and rainy here in Southern Arizona haha. Snow on the damn mountains
this morning, Last week it was 90 degrees.

Good luck
Old 04-09-2004, 01:05 AM
czechyour6

I also tried the suggested LE back 6" from front and mounted a 400 mah battery in front of the wing, flys MUCH better and less squirly than before.