Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

park flyer 1/2 glider?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 07:13 PM
pioneer863

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default park flyer 1/2 glider?

Oups! Went flying today and my batt. decided to jump out at 300ft. well then the plane piched up and down continuously tell it hit the ground with a soft landing lucky for me!
Spent about 1hr and 10min looking for the batt. never found it[:@] it's nice to know that Mother Nature can land this thing better then I can.
I just thought it was a little funny that this thing flew well with no batt or human control at all and landed perfect. On the down side im out $37 for the cost of the batt..

only if I could have this luck all the time!
Old 04-01-2004, 10:49 PM
flying_frog

Default RE: park flyer 1/2 glider?

Wish I had that kind of luck. Guess you need to velcro that battery in better next time huh.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:16 AM
pioneer863

humm not a bad idea, I was just going to use tape tape to hold it in..
Old 04-02-2004, 09:40 AM
flying_frog

What kind of plane were you flying here.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:28 PM
U2Steve

If the battery was mounted close to the center of gravity, ejecting it wouldn't upset the plane's balance that much. You'd still get a good glide out of it, especially now that it's so much lighter!

If your plane will see high G-loads, it's best to have the Velcro going AROUND the battery, like a seatbelt, rather than just between the battery and the plane. Think of this: In a hard turn or a fast loop, you might see 4 G's or more on the plane. Your four-ounce battery now weighs OVER A POUND! Is that little patch of Velcro enough now?

Steve
Old 04-02-2004, 03:53 PM
flying_frog

I agree completely. That's why I was asking about the type of plane. If it's a Slow Stick or something similar, you can sandwich a piece of velcoe between the battery and the fuse AND wrap velcro around it. If the battery is enclosed in the fuse, you may have to make modifications in order to wrap the velcro around it...or wrap enough foam around it and wedge it in the fuse so it doesn't move around.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:52 PM
LTSharpe

The Predator has a simple yet clever way of retaining the battery. There is a large rubber band that attaches to the canopy and then wraps around the nose below it. That way that batt isn't going anywhere
Old 04-03-2004, 11:47 AM
pioneer863

It's a wing dragon and sits in its own compartment. I just need some Velcro or tape...
I found the battery today!!!! It’s a 9 cell Ni-mh 1000 mah (jetset Super) and still works
It’s just that this batt has lots of power I can do some wild tricks that jolts the bat around to cause it to fall out.
Thanks for all the ideas!!

p.s. a year ago I bought some heavy duty Velcro made for concrete and im holding a screen protector(about 4 to 5 lbs) for my big screen TV and it works very nice.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:58 PM
evil_nathan

wish i had read this thread 3 days ago....!

ended up doing a similar mod to my freedom flyer

battery flew out while inverted, but still hung on by it's leads - until the prop hit the leads.... left a nice big hole in the grass where it hit the ground...!!

hindsight is a wonderful thing - and i've had tons of inverted fun since i wrapped an elastic band around the fuse/canopy to keep it shut.