Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Help with buying a Wingo

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Mark71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with buying a Wingo

Ok I am looking into buying a Wingo. I have flown before but has been about 3 years since I have. I am new to the electric park flyers.
First question: What the major differnce b/t the Wingo FK5450 and the Wingo HLFK5500. Other than one has 2 motors and one has one motor. What I am looking for is the flight time, flight characteristics.
Second question: I don't want to be stuck with a bone stock Park flyer. What would be better than what Hobby Lobby offers for the standard requirements(Batteries, charger, Motor, & speed control) Like I said I am new to the electric part. I am looking to have some good flight times and some good power out of it. Maybe in the future going brushless.
Thrid question: I am looking at the JR Quattro Lite for the radio. What are some pro's and con's to the set up. It comes with two JR S241 micro servos and R610M FM micro receiver.

Thanks for the help
Mark
Old 04-10-2004, 05:46 PM
WattsUp-INACTIVE

Default RE: Help with buying a Wingo

Mark,

I have the standard Wingo, so I can't comment on the 2 motor version.

I bought the "Wingodeal" from Hobby-Lobby last summer, and that was my first RC plane.
The deal came with the direct drive 400 motor, and an 8 cell 600ma nicd battery. Also a Hitec 555 receiver,Hitec HS-81 servos, Jeti 110 ESC and Hitec CG-340 charger. That setup gave me around 5 to 7 minutes of flight per charge. I then ordered some 8X1100 NiMh batteries. They give me 10-12 minutes. Much better, but the extra weight drove me to upgrade to the geared 8X6 prop from HL. The gearbox helps. A Brushless motor would help a lot more. My current all-up weight is around 26 oz with the heavier battery.

As far as flight characteristics, the Wingo is easy and predictable. It will loop well (with airspeed gained from a dive), and make small radius turns. It is not capable of impressive vertical performance, so you can't use the prop to climb out of trouble. I now have 4 planes, but I keep flying the Wingo frequently just because it flies well, and looks cool in the air. I have also rigged up a parachute drop with a 3rd servo. My kids like to chase the parachute.

The plane took a lot of abuse from my inexperience, but I was always able to glue it back together and return to the air. It still flies well, and it is still a lot of fun. One tip: use a light glue like Elmer's Probond. I used 5 minute epoxy, and that caused excess weight gain. Being experienced already, you may not need as much repair glue as I did.

I use a simple Hitec Laser4, and that is all the Wingo needs. You may want to consider more radio for future needs. I am not familiar with JR radios.

Brian
Old 04-12-2004, 06:03 AM
Mark71

Default RE: Help with buying a Wingo

Thanks for the information Brian. That was just the right information that I was looking for. I had seen one flight at a off road track that we had built here in Augusta, Ga. I was really impressed with what I saw. The guy that was flying the wingo that had a Mod. Motor and battery pack on it. He was able to do some loops and some nice touch and goes with it. I just wanted to get some information on the gear box and battery recommondations.

Thanks again
Mark