Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS beaver batteries

Old 06-21-2002, 01:07 PM
Hubb
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS beaver batteries

Horizon seems soon (?) to release the new gws beaver parkflier. I am very interested in purchasing it as soon as it is available. It does seem that the power unit is the same as the gws zero.

so what I am wondering is how have you all solved the battery pack issue with your zeros? what packs are giving the best run time, power, weight, etc.

also what is the best ESC to purchase for this power system? is 10 amp adequate or overkill? I will buy these items separately as I have micro servos and a rx ready to go for it.

thanks for any response

Hubb
Old 06-28-2002, 01:23 PM
JTinCT

I have a GWS Beaver and the flight pack that will be for it. It came with Mini servos at .92 oz. They were too heavy so I just used some picos from an onther plane. The motor is the same as the Zero 300 C w/ 10X8 prop. The flight pack had a 6 cell 600 mAh pack that fit perfectly in the battery slot in the bottom. Interestingly I put over 800 mAhs into it on the first charge. The flight time and power are great. If you use the 600 pack be sure to cut out the formed foam before you glue the fuselage sides together. The instructions show this, but it's explained actuallyafter the sides are glued together.
I am using a GWS 5 amp esc. This is fine becuse I am pulling about 6.5 amps static. If you intend to go with more cells you will need a higher ampere ESC.

I have a 6 X 350 NiCD pack that I have not used yet. I have a good feeling that I will still get a decent flight time on it. JT
Old 08-19-2002, 05:15 PM
greg-RCU

I have the Beaver and the 350 Mah pack gives a decent climb and flight time but only after it was cycled a few times. - or perhaps I did not have a full charge on it the first few times. Can't wait to try the 600mAh and a decent charger.

Anyone know of a NiMh pack that would work?

Also PLAN or even connect your linkages and put a hole or guide for the antena BEFORE gluing the fuse halves together. A step that I missed was to actually GLUE the wing strut rods into the connectors. One pulled out during a spin recovery and the wing folded immediatly! btw - a pic in the instructions shows a strut mount on the fuselage sideways! The tabs should be vertical so the strut angles up without twisting the mount.

What about the thrust line? The instructions say to mark it on the power system mount but don't reffer to it after that. Seems to need a lot of right trim to stay level under power.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:34 PM
bennettjoh

Default New GWS Beaver Owner

I just bought a new GWS Beaver on September 1. Assembly instructions were a little confusing at times but I am pleased with the end product. It is a great looking little airplane. The battery pack required to fit in the compartment on the bottom of the plane is very hard to find in my area, none of the local shops carry it. So I had some ideas! and they worked very well.

My setup:
speed control: gws 400, battery: nicad 8.4V 600mAH , gws micro servos, Hitec Focus 4 TX, gws micro rx, eps300c motor and gear box

Note!..the speed control and battery i used, were taken from my gws zero which uses the same system as the beaver but gws offers the upgrade for the zero,with the 400 speed control (upgrades from the standard 100 speed control) and the 8.4 volt 600mAH battery (upgrade from the standard 7.2v 600mAH battery) if you want to check this setup, look on horizonhobby.com website at the zero page

The new gws 400(15 amp) speed control fitsright in where the gws 100(5amp) speed control was, with no change in the center of gravity of the aircraft.

The battery: the new 8.4 volt battery, does not fit in the battery compartment and neither do many others ! except the specific battery pack made for the beaver which is hard to find !

I closed the plastic cover on the battery compartment and placed some industrial strength velcro (walmart) on each side of the compartment cover and one small piece right in the middle of the cover. Attached the other piece of velcro to my 8.4V battery and stuck it on the bottom of the beaver over the battery compartment cover.
The battery fits very well, and looks like it belongs there since the battery is sleek and black and curved. It looks like an external fuel tank found on the real beavers and other similar planes.

Run the power wire from the battery into the battery compartment and connect it. Then close the cover and attach the battery with the velcro.

I had no problems with balance and the center of gravity did not change on the beaver since I made sure the battery was centered longways on the fuselage and balanced with the rest of the airplane's center of gravity.

The new battery really improves the performance, take off is almost instant !! about 3-5 feet !! With full power, almost straight up. Landings are about the same as if you would use the 7.2V 600mAH battery since weight is about the same. Flight time is about 11-15 minutes.

I guess i could have cut the battery compartment to fit my new battery but i didnt want to cut my new plane and this setup allows me to use various battery sizes in the same spot.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:54 PM
bennettjoh

Default New GWS Beaver Owner

I am very pleased with the performance of the Beaver. I am a novice builder and flyer of rc airplanes. Ive only recently owned a hobbyzone firebird XL, so my experience was limited. The Beaver flys stable and predictable and at a slow enough speed for me to stay ahead of it. Ive done some tight turns and figure 8's and even one attempt at a loop. The battery was a little weak during the loop attempt and the maneuver ended up with the plane halfway into the loop upside down and stalling. It nosed down and came right out of the loop and became stable again... wheww ! It flies straight and level with little or no trim needed. I have not had any problems with torque of the motor making it fly weird. I had a few hard landings in short grass which broke a propeller, but that is from my lack of expereince and skill rather than the airplane. The wheels supplied are flimsy and plastic, the spokes of the wheel break very easily and make the wheels wobble if not checked and repaired. I would like to find some either foam or rubber wheels which would do a better job on landings but not add too much weight.

I dont have access to a flying club and I am scared of hard surfaces such as concrete, so i find a patch of grass that is short enough for the plane to roll and use it as a strip to land and takeoff. (soccerfield to be specific) the slightly thicker grass on other parts of the soccer field allows for soft landings for a begginer like me.
CAUTION!! if your plane ever noses over or the prop binds in any way, CUT THE POWER FAST !! or you will fry the whole system
any ideas or suggestions on the Beaver, please give input

I would definately suggest this plane to beginners and experienced flyers, its fun!
Old 09-05-2002, 04:41 PM
nathan1649

here are some pics of my beaver with battery mount modification
Old 09-05-2002, 04:51 PM
bennettjoh

Default pictures of beaver

ok once more, i will try to post a picture