Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

2 servo ailerons = Flaps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 12:06 AM
ctoms
My Feedback: (-3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 servo ailerons = Flaps?

Can a plane with 2 servos controlling the ailerons be programmed to have them act as flaps for a slower landing? If so, do you change flight modes to do it and then only have rudder/elevator control

I have a Multiplex Evo 9 radio so if its possible I should have the ability.

I am getting a GP DC-3 and it may be a useful option if possible.

Thanks
Charlie
Old 04-11-2004, 12:32 AM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: 2 servo ailerons = Flaps?

Look under Flaperon setup, and iirc it's in the very usefull tutorial from MultiplexUSA wesbite (basically you will use one of the sliders/knobs/sw to activate flaps). You will not loose your Aileron funtionality per se, as each ailerons even when deployed down will still react to aileron stick input and raise up a little to roll the plane.

The problem though, is you're increasing your chances of tip-stalling. Esp. on planes like the one you mentioned with outboard ailerons. When you have both angled down as flaps, you're effectively increase the Angle of Attack at the wing tips - this will cause the plane to stall (drop a wing tip) at much higher speeds (just as you're slowing down to land). There's a reason for flaps to be inboard (closest to the fuze) as you want the wing to stall there before the tips. imo Flaperons would suite full-span Aileron wings better.

You can program both ailerons to deflect upwards (spoilerons), in which case you're trying to spoil the lift created by the wing (plane will start to drop like a brick; okay, not that badly) without introducing the tip-stall tendencies of Flaperons. Usefull if plane tends to have a very long glide path on final aproach.

Another solution is you could install a seperate flap surface to the underside of the wing (inboard of course) and have a servo actuate the flaps down.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:57 AM
ctoms
My Feedback: (-3)

Default RE: 2 servo ailerons = Flaps?

I like the additional flap Idea. It would be easy to add them to the underside. Do they need to extend past the trailing edge or can they just lay under the wing?