Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

CAmera attatchment

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 12:17 PM
20minpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAmera attatchment

[

I dont know if it can be done but I want to attatch a camera to my aerobird challenger,I know that the extreme just came out, and on the box it says it will be able to take pix with the xport.
All the dealers I have talked to act like they don't have a clue, is there any one that has rigged a camera to an aerobird, and if so can you plese pass on the know how?
thanx

Pictureless in Charlotte
Mark
Old 04-17-2004, 05:11 PM
Morb

Default RE: CAmera attatchment

I suppose it all depends on what Camera you want to use. Honestly, if it's a pencam like the Aiptek, the Aerobird isn't going to be able to haul it.

The only way I see the Aerobird hauling a camera, is if it was a single shoot film camera. Honestly, in my opinion, not worth it for the Aerobird.

Grab yourself a Slowstick for 35.00 US, and you'll be much happier, as the Slowsticks big wings make it a great Aerial platform.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:06 PM
20minpilot

Thank you MOrb, This is my third park flyer, the other two were challenger and Firebird,my friend got me into flying, the rest of our friends have choosen to be glued to the ground,,R/C cars and trucks! glad I didn't go that route,,, don't think I would get the same rush I do when I fly!
This is the first day of being a member of rc universe,,,and the articles I have read all suggest the slow stick,I believe tommorow I will go out and buy my first "put together plane"
I already have a 4 channel trans. I got it with the gas trainer(alpha 9) haven't flown it,,,because my friend let me try his spare firebird (2 channel) and I dont think I was quite ready for gas and 4 channels !! thanx again for the input,,,and if ya have time what kind of camera or video equip. should I be looking for,,is it hard to set up a servo to activate the equipment?
thax again

Mark
Old 04-18-2004, 12:13 AM
Morb

Drop me an email at [email protected] and I'll get you in the right direction.

Geof.
www.smoothair.ca
Old 04-19-2004, 10:49 PM
20minpilot

thanx Morb,, I shot ya an email
Old 04-20-2004, 03:40 PM
GravityTester
My Feedback: (25)

I've put a camera on my aerobird, the older model. I got one of the cheep wireless cameras from ebay. It worked great since the plane has virtually no vibration the picuture was clear. I know you had mentioned the x-port since my aerobird doesn't even have one I obviously haven't used it for a camera. but mounting a camera on a aerobird can be done and it works quite well.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:12 PM
RC Sumo

GravityTester
I would love to get the details of your setup...this is something I would really like to try!
Old 04-20-2004, 11:10 PM
GravityTester

like I said I got the camera off ebay for $25. I first marked the CG without the camera with a marker. my first set up I took the battery and set it inside the plane and it rested nicely on top of the circit board I set the camera on top of the wing held on with some other rubberbands on the wing. the cord simply ran out the side of the canopy.
the 2nd set up had the camera under the plane. This time I simply held the camera on the bottom of the plane with tape and some rubberbands this way worked good untill a rough landing (she lands alot faster with the extra weight) and it caused a wire to come loose inside the camera. so sadly I'm on the DL untill I get another camera.
sorry no pictures
I hope this helps
Old 04-21-2004, 12:58 AM
RC Sumo

may sound dumb here.....but how do you snap the pics? Do you setup another servo and RX?
Old 04-21-2004, 03:36 AM
foreverNight

what was the name of the camera so i can search e-bay? I tried to put a camera on my ss but, i didnt bother checking the cg results were a totaled ss[]
Old 04-21-2004, 01:31 PM
GravityTester

mine was a live video camera not a still shot camera. I don't remember the name of the camera but if you search ebay for a rc airplane camera you are sure to find one. the reciever for this camera hooks up to a tv or video camera on the ground.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:31 PM
RC Sumo

forevernight....you can find Aiptek cameras on Ebay. These things are small and lightweight.
here are a couple of sites for reference www.aiptek.com and for pic examples.. www.pencam.org.
This will most likely the camera I use once I figure out how to go about this....how would you setup a cam on your Aerobird?

-Shane
Old 04-21-2004, 06:16 PM
foreverNight

I have one of those aiptek cams. I tried to attach it to my ss using a servo to snap pics but, it crashed and i totaled the fuse. I want to see if it will work on my aerobird. it has a timer on it. 10 seconds then it snaps one shot. I know that sucks but, i want to try it. But, i dont think it ca handle the weight. On those e-bay vid cams how do you attach a power source for the reciever if your out in the field?
Old 04-22-2004, 08:14 AM
Fix-it
My Feedback: (3)

I read this post yesterday, went to Wal-Mart and bought an ARGUS DC1512 digital camera for $20, came with a USB cable to boot! It has a 10sec timer, so I rubberbanded it to the bottom of my Slow Stik below the batterey to keep the CG the same. 10 sec is not very long, and the climb rate is reduced by about 1/2, but the SS pulls the camera up without any great difficulty. managed to get a snap of the sidewalk, 1 of my driveway with a bit of the car, and one of the neighbors lawn.
I will put a servo on with servo moutning tape so the arm presses the shutter, plug it into the rudder channel ( 4 chnl rcvr - rudder on aileron now) and snap on command. The fact that I took pics from the plane 15min after I opened the camera shows that this is an off the shelf system that will work, and for less than $40 even if you have to buy another small servo to operate the shutter.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:19 AM
foreverNight

i did exactly the same thing. Use aeleron control to snap pics. It works perfect. my problem was i didnt check the cg and totaled my ss. oh well