Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Trouble flying T-Hawk - any advice?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Trouble flying T-Hawk - any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 01:22 PM
deeman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble flying T-Hawk - any advice?

Today, for the first time, I tried to fly my new T-Hawk. It did not go as well as expected and a bit frustrating.

Problem 1: The field I selected has grass (soccer field) and it is impossible to do a realt take-off. So, handlaunching is the only way - after launching by hand the plane climbs for about 4 seconds then nose dives into the ground. Could I be stalling the plane?? any other ideas?

Problem 2: My first run was actually the longest and best, but the planes elevator and rudder are obvioussly not centered. They are centered when you look at them (at least to me) but the plane kept banking to the right, and climbing in the nuetral position.I can and will tweak, but when the plane is airborn I am usually too tense to putz with the trims - I am just trying to keep it from crashing. Any tips on setting the rudder/elev. on the ground so it is pretty close to nuetral?

Problem 3: The plane came with 3 props and in 5 flights I managed to break all 3 on landings.

I do like the plane - I just can't wait to LEARN how to control it.

Thanks!!!
Old 04-17-2004, 10:56 PM
Raincloud48

Default RE: Trouble flying T-Hawk - any advice?

I can't help with your problem, but I am hoping to read the responces. I read the advertisment for the T-Hawk and was about to order one. My firebird does not like to fly with any wind, and thought the T-Hawk would be much better. I too had problems with hand launching my firebird. It didn't nosedive, but it lost altitude and many times would not pull up soon enough to avoid a crash. I figure my problem is "operator error" but it is frustrating to me to have a trashed plane before the battery ran down!
Old 04-18-2004, 03:17 AM
foreverNight

Are launching at full throttle into the wind? If you give up elevator, that can cause it stall and nose dive. Is this your first plane?
Old 04-18-2004, 07:53 AM
deeman

Forevernight -

Yes on all questions. I am launching into the wind, full throtle, full elevator and you guessed it! it's my first plane.

The more I think about it the more I think the plane is stalling. Maybe backing off on the elevator a bit will help - do you agree?
Old 04-18-2004, 07:56 AM
foreverNight

DO not give up elevator when you launch! just throttle, if you need elevator give slight up. and also i dont know how it is with the t-hawk but, check to make sure you didnt knock the tail boom out of the notch it snaps into
Old 04-18-2004, 08:07 AM
deeman

Thanks for the quick response. As soon as I get more props in the mail (I broke all 3) I will use your advice.

Thanks again!
Old 04-18-2004, 08:55 AM
foreverNight

If you still have the pieces for your broken props they can possibly be super glued fixed. I do it all the time for my slow stick.
( which by the way is out of commision!)
Old 04-18-2004, 11:06 AM
LTSharpe

My assumption on your hard takeoffs are that you're angling the plane's nose too far up when you throw it. As far as the props go I have a predator which is sort of that planes brother so to speak and oddly enough I have yet to break a single prop but it came with 2 or 3 spares and I have gotten another couple of spares free in parts orders(due to shipment damage or bad battery). As far as it turning, does it do this when your hand is completely off the stick?
Old 04-19-2004, 12:27 AM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

run with the t-hawk as you launch it..and dont be afraid to layunch it with force..make sure when you apply down motion on your joystick,,the elevator goes up....
Old 04-19-2004, 12:31 AM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

you amy want to order some upper servo gear sets..with your priop order///.they are inexpensive and will strip ouit on hard crashes//
Old 04-19-2004, 11:30 AM
deeman

Thanks everyone for the tips! I am certian that the hand launching advice provided here will help things out.