Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Formosa Flight Problems

Old 04-22-2004, 09:29 AM
RoneDogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formosa Flight Problems

I took my formosa up for its maiden voiage last night and it wasn't too impressive. I need some expert advice. Here is what I have:

Stock Motor: (GWS 350c)
Battery: 7.4v 2sP Thunder Power
Propeller: 9070
Aileron Throws: 70%
Elevator Throw: 80%
Center of Gravity: Just behind (1/4 Inch) the slot for the fiberglass wing brace

It took about 40 feet to get airborne with a 5 MPH wind in my face. Once in the air it was like it was flying in slow motion. It handled fine, but it was definately not moving around too fast. When I flew away from the wind, it also did not fly very fast as well. I wonder if I've got the wrong prop set up, or the wrong battery, but I thought this set up would be satisfactory. My Estarter is somewhat lighter, but not a tone and has a 300c motor. When flown with the same battery it cruised around compared to the Formosa, in the same wind. My formosa motor sounds like its flying at full speed. I've read a number of reviews and it sounds like I'm going to need to invest in a brushless set up, but until I convince my wife I'm out of luck for now. Any ideas on how I could tweek the stock set up to get more umph? Can I go with an 11.v 3s2p TP and get more power without burning up the motor?

Thanks for the help!

Ronedogg
Old 04-22-2004, 09:56 AM
guyflys

Default RE: Formosa Flight Problems

Hi RB, I don't fly the Formosa but have run a couple of GWS 350c's I can say for sure it needs to be timed ( advanced ). I gained about 20% more thrust by timing. There should be a good article here on timing the GWS motors. ( I'd help but I'm no expert on tweeking ).
Good luck. -Ernie-
Old 04-22-2004, 01:58 PM
Fix-it
My Feedback: (3)

One thing to check is to make sure you have the prop on correctly. I have seen 3 people put GWS props on backwards. Looking at the front of the plane with the prop vertical the leading edge of the top blade should be on your left.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:45 PM
RoneDogg

Thanks guys...I'll check those things out see what I can do.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:23 AM
RoneDogg

I flew the formosa today. Prop was on right, Motor was running right. Perfect day to fly, sunny with no wind. The plane took about 30-40 feet to get airborne. It took a little circling to gain some altitude. I could not climb very steep because it would stall. After getting up there it was great to fly, but it definately lacked the power I had envisioned in my mind when I bought it. I was using a 7.2 2100 TP and a 8.4v 730 Mah NiMh. But it was still a lot of fun. I think I'm going to go to a brushless motor. I've looked through a number of forums and here is what I've decided would be a good buy.

Motor: Himax 2015 - 4200
Battery: 2s 7.2v TP, or 3s 11.2v TP
Prop: 9x7, or 10x7, or 11x7
ESC: Phoenix 25

Any thoughts on this set up? What prop/battery, etc. do would you recommend? Any problems I should watch out for with this setup? Basically, I'm looking to be able to climb the Formosa vertically out of sight and any perform any areobatics I'm capable of (not many), but I want to be able to have enough power and control to learn to fly planes like this. I'm still relatively new to flying, but I've gotten a huge bug for this stuff so any thoughts are appreciated.

As always, thanks for the help.

RoneDogg
Old 05-08-2004, 10:04 PM
davidinmi

I enjoy my Formosa very much. I'm using Tanic and Kokam 1500mAh 3S1P packs, a CC Phoenix 25 ESC, and a 2025 4200 Himax motor. I'm using the GWS 400C gearbox with an H (5.28:1) gear ratio. This is about the same as a 350C geabox with the C ratio. I swing 10x6 or 11x7 props on it. The 10x6 is good for about 15 minutes flying time with excellent performance. The stock 350C motor is a lot of fun with a 3S lipo battery, but the brushes are destroyed at the end of one 15 minute flight. I run a speed 400 motor on a GWS PT-17 bipe on the 400C gearbox with an E (3.40:1) ratio. The speed 400 motor holds up quite well with the lipos. My complete drive system for the Formosa is available from www.e-flightline.com. You may want to reinforce the fuselage for the brushless system. Here is a pictue of mine after the 21st flight. Oh - I add a stick from front to back of the fuselage over the battery to ensure that the battery pack is still in the fuselage at the end of the flight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26765.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	130448  
Old 05-11-2004, 11:53 PM
azfrench

Well, the stock motor is just enough to get the plane airborne. I have the formosa also and found the same thing you did. I added the 1060 prop and that seem to help a bit. I also timed my motor for the best power. The last thing I did which made the plane perform like a champ was to change my battery to a tp2100 3 cell. This will kill the motor fairly quickly if you are not careful with the throttle. But, it did perfrom very well with this battery. I upgraded to the himax 2025-4200. What a world of difference this makes in performance. I took apart my 350 after I put the himax in and to my surprise it was not bad at all. If you just use the extra power for takeoffs and climbs then throttle down for all else you should get the 350 to last a while. Hope this helps.

Rick.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:10 PM
crashingagain

Ronedog Run that Formosa with 2015-4100 and make sure you use a 3s pack and not a 2s and you will have plenty of power. The 2025s draw too many amps[image}
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61130.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	132041  
Old 06-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Epoxy Cup

Hi Ronedog

I have the Formosa also. I was a little dissapointed with the power to. Mine came with 2 props. The slow flyer one (with rounded tips) woks best fro me. I used a 2cell Litho and it was sick, Changed to a 8 cell 9.6v NiMh 2/3 AAA and it is great. I imagine a 3cell LiPo would be even better. Get the voltage up to 9.6 or above, and of course make sure the prop is on in the right direction. Even so it's not a fast plane. I am thinking of my geared Astro 010 for it but don't think it would gain me much. Anyway the plane fly's geat.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:08 AM
Spiff22

I have a 2S 1500 mah Kokam lipo and everything else on my Formosa is stock but I get decent performance. ROG in about 15 ft or I had launch underhanded with a gentle toss. I have been very pleased with it so far. My previous experience is with a Tiger Moth and Firebird so maybe my idea of speed is tainted but I don't need to circle to gain altitude. In a wind it climbs very quickly. I was thinking I would need to go brushless with this plane but have changed my mind for now.

Here's the rest of the setup:
2 x HS55 Servo
1 x GWS Pico servo
ESC Castle Creations 20P
Hitec Feather receiver
Flight times are 20 to 25 minutes
Old 07-05-2004, 06:48 PM
bzpond

I fly mine stock with 2 cell 1500 Tanic's. Performance is pretty good, using the rounded prop that came with it. I fly mine w/o landing gear, but I hand launch underhanded with no problems. I like flying it stock, but when this motor is dead, I'll go brushless.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:59 PM
enrique1123

I have a Formosa that I flew stock for a while, then I changed the prop to an Apc and it made a great improvement then. Then I went to 3S TP and a 9x6 prop and a Castle Creations Pixie 20 ESC, removed the landing gear- great improvement. After about a month of flying the set up the motor burned so I decided to spring for the brushless. Castle Creations Phoenix 25 and a Mega 16/15/6 with an APC 8x5 and a TP 1300 3S the new pack (12C) and now take off roll is about 5 feet, unlimited vertical, will fly leveled with less than half throttle, and I get 12 to 14 min flights with mixed performance. The Mega motors are the best investment if you want to fly the GWS birds ior anywhere you need a 400 size motor that cooks.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:52 PM
A10FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

I'm using a HiMaxx 2025 5400 with 6.*/1 and an APC 8X6 with a TP 2100 3S pack. 3 foot takeoff and unlimited vertical as well. The original setup was terrible for me. Now it's great!!