Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Miss Bohemia Problems

Old 05-21-2003, 07:18 PM
pbunn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Miss Bohemia Problems

I decided to get into electric flying because I have a small field 1/2 mile from home and it looks like fun. I wanted to introduce my 11 year old son to RC also. I purchased a Hobby Lobby Miss Bohemia and installed two Micro servos and a JETI .05 controller. The plane flew great and I was amazed how slow and easy it flew with power and no tendency to stall. I flew it 10 times or so and loved it - THEN I flew it into a tree and broke one of the replaceable prop blades. I ordered another and replaced it and I cannot get the plane to fly with any power. It is really strange - It will not climb - there is no power! I called Hobby Lobby and they suggested a different battery which I bought for $30 and no difference! I cannot figure it out , the plane flew great and now it is what I remember the first electrics were like or worse. I have used three different batteries, and 2 props and I just get no thrust, , just enough power to fly straight and level from a hand launch - the first turn and it comes down. I am puzzled enough to think about putting a Black Widow .049 on it.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:50 PM
goofup

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does the motor sound the same? These little can motors do wear out, but 10 flights seems like a pretty short lifespan. Are you using the recommended number of cells in the battery, or using 1-2 more to give it more "umph" (and shorten the motor's life)?

Sometimes it the obivous... is the prop on backwards?
Old 05-22-2003, 10:29 AM
pbunn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have tried reversing the props (s) and have used both recommended batteries.
Hobby Lobby specially suggested a NI-CAD pack (I was using a Nickel Metal Hydride pack
when the plane was new) which I purchased and it did not help. It acts like the motor/prop combo just is underpowered. What would you suggest to use to replace the motor - a premium power motor type?
Old 05-23-2003, 07:06 AM
goofup

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If it flew great before the crash, it should fly great after... if the crash didn't damage the motor or gearbox. I'd try replacing them. HL doesn't sell the Miss Bohemia anymore, but they do have a replacement 280 for about $12, and another gearbox for another $12.

You didn't hear it from me (insert standard disclaimer), but if it would fit size-wise, you might even try sticking a Speed 400 in it. Aything but a (gasp, choke) a glow motor! (Just remember- it flew great with a 280 and it was designed for that size motor.)

Search this Thread