Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS Wing mounting

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 09:17 AM
gravityrules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Wing mounting

I just completed a GWS Mustang and have had a couple of the inevitable minor crashes. The foam glues back together nicely, but every crash has resulted in the wing mounting plate/nut getting ripped out of the foam. I'm wondering if someone has found an alternate wing mounting strategy (rubber bands, dowels, etc) that have proven more robust than the standard screw/nut wing attachment.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:39 AM
MAKODS

Default RE: GWS Wing mounting

Yes you can put dowel rods through the fuselage and use the rubber band method. There are many posts on ezonemag.com especially
guappomans post on the p-51 build. I now remove some foam from the rear fuselage mounting area with my dremel tool and put a piece of light plywood in there using Pro-Bond. I also put a piece of plywood on the bottom of the wing in the mount area. Get a small wood screw and fasten the wing that way. It is a strong mount because it is fastend to a larger area and of course the wood is stronger
than the plastic also.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:45 PM
gravityrules

Thanks Makods,

I couldn't find much on the ezonemag site, but I think I'll try your plywood suggestion.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:57 PM
miamiquasar

Hey guys,

I diddn't like the look of the stock mounting system from the start.Looks weak.So I mount my GWS wing using a few smears of silicone on the saddle & the mounting screw to hold it tight for curing.The wing is SOLID now & will not depart on a hard landing of if u cartwheel,nevermind the possibility of losing it in a high G manuver!

The wing has never come loose on my brushless 109 W/carbon fiber spar.

Removing it if you have to,takes only a few minutes.Remove the screw & apply gentle-steady pressure with your fingers to pry the wing off...the silicone will slowly let-go of the foam.

These models are the perfect size to transport in one piece too!

It's a VERY STRONG method of mounting the wing & actually strengthens the fuselage as well making the airplane one rigid piece.Seems to fly more solidly as well with no "play"in the wing/saddle.

Try it once she's all trimmed-out & you no longer need access to the gear/linkage...It really works well for me.

Regards,
M.Q.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:50 PM
gravityrules

Interesting idea! Do you mean silicone as in silicone caulk? I first thought "well I need to be able to easily detach the wing", but as I think about it some more, I can't think why I should need to. I'm running out of foam to attach the mounting nut/plate to (a little more gets ripped out on every "landing"). How much silicone - a bead or just dollops?
Old 05-01-2004, 11:31 PM
scott88-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

My friend and I have had the same problem with our planes. What you need is some epoxy and a piece of balsa about an inch wide, however wide your plane is, and at least a 1/4 inch thick. Tape the piece of balsa in to the plane temporarily, put the wing on and mark with a pencil or something where the screw will go. Take the wing off and remove the balsa. On the side of the balsa facing up cut out a chunk of balsa so the bolt and piece of black plastic can go in. Now glue the balsa in where you had taped it. Before the glue is completely dry check and make sure your wing will mount to the plane otherwise reglue it.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:38 PM
geo8498

The number of wing snap-offs on my Mustang have decreased considerably since I ran wooden dowels through and started attaching it with rubber bands. Less breakage at the fuselage sides too.

Doe anyone have the link about how to readjust the timing on the GWS motors?
Old 06-08-2004, 11:49 PM
miamiquasar

Hey GravityRules,
Sorry for the tardy reply but I've been busy,flying season is only so long here in Canada so...Yes,I mean caulking-type silicone & I usually use several small dollops of it.A "dotted-line"along the wing saddle & screw the wing back on & let cure.The bond is VERY strong & flexible as well.I rarely have to remove the wing...unless I really need a RX & can't spare one from something else.If you take your time & pry slowly(remove screw first),you can work the dots of silicone loose a little at-a-time from the TE forward & remove the wing when needed.I have the model inverted & facing me(on table/floor etc)& place my fingers on the top of the TE & use my thumbs to push on the fuse behind the wing & work it off.If you'd like a much stronger GWS warbird,give it a try!

Hope this helps.

Regards,
M.Q.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:41 PM
scollins

I have attached the wing on my GWS Corsair with small "rare earth" magnets from Radio Shack. I used the plastic pin setup on the leading edge like the directions say but instead of the screw and plate at the back I just drilled two holes the diameter and depth of the magnets and mount them so they are almost flush but still make contact with each other when the wing is put on. I fly a stock plane and haven't had any trouble with the wing coming off in the air. But when I make a not so perfect landing it allows the wing to come free with little or most of the time no damage. It has saved me alot problems. They must be "rare earth magnets" though or they will not hold. You will be amazed at how strong they are for their size. It works excellant for me. Have a great time with your warbird.