Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Sky scooter or predator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 05:36 PM
foreverNight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sky scooter or predator?

I'm bored with the aerobird. I'm building a gws zero but, i want something new to keep in the trunk of my car. I cant decide!
the toytronix predator looks cool but, so does the sky scooter pro.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:41 PM
LTSharpe

Default RE: Sky scooter or predator?

Well I can comment on the predator. It can easily do aerobatics and has good speed. Wings are 10 bucks a piece and tails are 6. Every spare wing comes with the reinforcing spar, decals and fiber tape applied. I have found it to be very rugged. Having never flown anything before with this level of responsiveness it was a bit overwhelming at first but since you've flown a 3 channel plane before you're probably ok. The only way I have seriously damaged the plane besides destroying wings is as it happens just today I nose dived it somehow and destroyed both servos, broke off the antenna and mashed the tail.

I do think my firebird II glided better. I personally don't like the single stick setup, I prefer two sticks like the FB. It's just a very good airplane but one drawback is the flight times are a bit short. You'll be lucky to get 8 minutes, as it really eats up the batteries quick. If you can get really high and glide you might do a lot better. One thing I am concerned with is that you are not supposed to leave the throttle on full for more than a minute. It's very easy to forget this rule and supposedly the motor can be damaged. I have not damaged the motor as of yet though.

So, I'm not sure it would be significantly different to peak your interest or not. I am considering one of the newer little twin engine pusher type planes and do something slow and gentle again for awhile since the predator is now out of commission.. I could also buy new servos for it but am thinking not.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:29 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

ltsharpe...more then likely you didnt break the servos..all you did was break the upper servo gear set,,,they are inexpensive and toytronix sells them,,,ive broken them on my t-hawk,,when i had hard crahses...very easy and cheap to repair...
Old 04-22-2004, 08:32 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

i think the skyscooter is a foam plane..and i just had a mini piper foam plane...they are not very forgivin in my opinion..of course you can fix it with epoxy..but you can only mend the plane so many times.. before you end up with a glob of bad flying epoxy instead of the plane you ordered...im sure the predator would be more forgiving and just as acrobatic...
Old 04-22-2004, 08:35 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

ive read where people think the mini piper is a good 1st time flyers plane...but i disagree...with the motor being mounbted in the front..whenever you have nose crashes...it gets pushed back in the plane or breaks the props or motor..and the nose breaks off...thankfully i chosse the t-hawk as my 1st plane...if i had choose the mini piper..i would have never continued with the hobby...
Old 04-22-2004, 08:36 PM
pioneer863

My scooter has had a lot of mods because I feel that it should have been done at the factory. First the motor overheats and melts the foam. So I cut a visine bottle in half and glued it to the motor for an air scoop. but then the plane pulled left because of the scoop and had to re- adjust the trim to full right to make it go straight. Works great now! Fun to fly until today when I did some very large loops and the wing broke in half at about 200ft and the plane broke in five places. Not sure if all ever get it back together again but i'll try anyway. 2nd the set screw that holds the prop in seems to never be tight no matter what i do so i took it out and put in a small wood screw. The Scooter is great, but be prepared for some quick mods so it fly’s better.

Good luck!!!
Old 04-22-2004, 08:53 PM
LTSharpe

But in these servos the gear assembly at the top is hooked into a small potentiometer which is soldered by wire to the board in the bottom. The gears don't appear to be removable. The ones that are 'fixed' and the ones that are loose both have breaks.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:59 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

i didnt think they were removable either..but they are...go to toytronix website,,and click on predator accescories..and you will see they seell the gear setws..for a fwe bux//..or just call them tommorrow..
Old 04-22-2004, 09:02 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

im sure the servos in your plane are the exact ones in the t-hawk...so they are repairable for a few bux...dont throw em away...they will come out..you have tio piull up on them and then take then out on an angle..then install the new gears,,