Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

slow stick prop choices versus flight performance

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

slow stick prop choices versus flight performance

Old 05-05-2004, 01:05 PM
SimonBryant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slow stick prop choices versus flight performance

Hi Guys,

i've got a question for the room.

Out of the 1047 , 1180, 1260 prop, what would be the difference in terms of flight performance, this is based on the Standard 300C and D gearbox.

Which of the three props would give me the best climb rate, and which of the three props would be best for carrying extra payloads...

Now that i've clipped the Slow Stick wing, would this also effect my payload carrying weight?

Would be interested to know?

This is based on a 2400mA Lith-Poly 2 Cell and 20P Pixie speed controller

Regards to you all

Simon
Old 05-05-2004, 03:08 PM
darrell_f
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: slow stick prop choices versus flight performance

Generally the diameter, the first number, gives you thrust and the pitch, the second number gives you speed. So the 1047 will be give the least thrust and the least speed but will also pull the least amps. The 1260 will give the greatest thrust but be slower than the 1180. The 1180 will give the fastest speed but will have a lower thrust than the 1260. Slow Stick needs thrust not speed, forget the 1047.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:35 PM
SimonBryant

Hi Darrell

Thanks for that, so should the all round prop be the 1260 as it has the best thrust ratio?

I still find it quite confusing?

Simon
Old 05-05-2004, 06:11 PM
darrell_f
My Feedback: (2)

There's a lot of variables, how heavy your Slow Stick is, even the altitude of where you live. I live at sea level so what works for me may not work for someone who lives in a mountain area. I tried 1260 first and I did not have enough output from my battery to use that. You have plenty of power in your 2S battery so for you I would recommend the 1260. Don't even try to fly in wind more than 10mph, but the 1180 might be better if you're flying in a very light wind. Expect that your motor will start to loose power and you will need to replace it. It happens with all brushed motors. I couldn't find a replacement 300 and have been using 350 motors. The 350 requires more amps and requires that a smaller size prop be used. The 1260 with your battery would burn-up a 350 very quickly.

Here's a tool that you should try. [link=http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma.asp]P-Calc[/link] It a motor calculator. Input the motor, (your 300 is equivalent to Graupner Speed 280 6V), your battery, gear, prop diameter and pitch, and it will show you the estimate amps, thrust, and speed. Good tool to know about; very helpful in trying different motor, gear, prop combinations. Experiment with your Slow Stick! Find out what good for slow, easy flight and what's good for go-fast loops and climbs.