Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS Beaver

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 08:16 PM
Fliegenmong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Beaver

Hi All

I'm considering the purchase of a GWS Beaver, and was wondering what other peoples experience has been with it. Is it an all foam a/c or is there some plastic/fibreglass to it? I don't know whether I had a faulty kit with previous all foam park flyers, but it sure did break easy, and often, more so than I would have reasonably expected. Also I have found performance to be simply no where near where it is claimed to be with park flyers, do I need to buy a more powerful motor straight away if I bought a GWS Beaver, or will the engine provided give it adequate power to actually fly.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-05-2004, 08:43 PM
sierra gold

Default RE: GWS Beaver

I have found the provided motor to provide good performance - it's the EPS 300. I plan on replacing it with an EPS 350 motor when the original dies. No substitute for brute power.

Foam kits will break when crashed... but they repair easily with 5 min. epoxy glue. EPP foam, as used in Zagi type wings, will crash and not break.

Sierra Gold
Old 05-05-2004, 09:47 PM
Fliegenmong

So it is a hollow foam airplaen then?
Old 05-05-2004, 10:18 PM
Delphi36

I just orderd a Beaver. I keep reading nothing but goood things about it and the Piper J-3 cub from the same maker. I orderd From GWS Experts. com They offerd me a motor up grade for $5.00 more. I got a EPS 350 C. I already have a Flying Styro Kits "Chubby Lady" and a Alfa Models Lavochkin LA-7. But so far I seem to like the slow flyers a whole lot. I can't wate to get the beaver. I got everything but the charger for $133.00. I will let you know how it goes.

Mike
Old 05-06-2004, 09:16 AM
geo8498

The Beaver is a terrific plane. The stock power system is fine for this plane. It'll fly well with either 7.2V AA Nicads or 8.4V AAA NIMH. It's a very light plane and quite durable aside from the very thin wing. It's entirely foam, except for a plastic cowel.

Some hints...

#1 - Make sure the clevises on the wing spars are secure. They pop off very easily and your wing will fold like paper. I've secured mine with either a small wrap of duct tape or a very thin piece of copper wire.

#2 - I reinforced the weak landing gear by running copper wire across from each wheel (@45°) otherwise the gear will tend to spread.

#3 - Get a good supply of propellers. The GWS orange props break alot. After some experience, I stopped buying new props when I discovered that they glue back together with CA very well. Almost every prop I have has been broken at least once. You may decide to change to APC props.

#4 - There's an insert to the instructions on running packing tape across the wing to reinforce it. This will help minimize the wing flutter.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:38 AM
BellX1

This plane was my first electric powered aircraft and I was very impressed. Flown with the newer released kit including the 350 motor
I used an FMA Super 20 ESC and 1500mah li-poly batt.

This set-up provides 15 minute flight times.

My only suggestion would to fly this plane on days where the wind speed
does not exceed 10mph. The light construction is easliy manipulated in the
air with strong winds. Fly it on calmer days and you will be very pleased.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:34 PM
gofaster72

I have one of these models and I keep going back to it as it is so well behaved in the air. I am on my third main wing due to making my base legs too close to some swing sets at the school where I fly. I ffound that the landing gear works much better with a spredder bar half way down the gear. Cuts down on the bonce and make smoother touch and goes. Also install a 3/8 inch square balsa block in the fuselage behind the gear wire where it enters the body. This point will soon loosen after a few landings. Enjoy, great little plane.
" M "
Old 05-21-2004, 07:40 AM
david5272

Just a great named plane