Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone J-3 Cub RTF

Old 07-12-2006, 05:57 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone J-3 Cub RTF

The BP should work out well. Do a little back peddling, someone here or on the shun da forum did one if I remember correctly.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:12 PM
PMDrive1061

ORIGINAL: Bob Cosby

PS....will have some pics of "Cubs over Baghdad" as soon as this wind dies down....which might not be till October, LOL.
^^You're welcome.

You'd feel right at home out here. Temps have been over 110 for several days, we have the obligatory wind and to top it all off, a wildfire is toasting the high desert big time as we speak. Not good.

Therefore my Cubbie, cleverly disguised as a WWII recon plane, is presently grounded.

You have GOT to do "Cubs over Baghdad!" Send a link over to Sean Hannity or Ollie North and you'll likely wind up on FOX!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74087.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	490486  
Old 07-13-2006, 09:05 PM
shovelheadfreak

sorta off the subject that was being discussed but what is the next brushed step after you get tired of replacing the venom motors? i know i shouldn`t run them full bore all the time but i can`t help it. i know i should let them cool down more but i can`t help it...so what is the next step? what else has been tried and what sort of results did you have..jim
Old 07-13-2006, 10:28 PM
Fort Knox

I have a Venom sitting in my parts box waiting for my skills to improve to the point of needing a hotter motor. I do not know the name of the motor but people have mentioned other brushed motors in this thread that they have used with sucess.

Kyle
Old 07-13-2006, 10:35 PM
shovelheadfreak

i`m sure there are many different motors that will work. sort of hate to just start buying different ones to test there usefullness. the venoms are good motors but i seem to be having problems with their lifespan. i`m new to this electric part of flying and hope there is a solution to the problem other than moderation. never have been good at that..jim
Old 07-14-2006, 05:38 AM
Glacier Girl

Jim,
Way back when I went through around 20 different motors, some more then 4 times the price of the Venom. None seemed to have the "guts" the Venom had. That's why I recommended the Venom. That said, it was 2 years ago, I'm sure there may be better choices out there. But a brushed motor is a brushed motor. They wear out, and if they can't be repaired reasonably the cost factor continues to climb, hence the switch to a brushless motor. Other then the bearings, there is nothing inside to wear out. And I'll be honest, I never had to replace a bearing in mine.
Might be time to look at brushless as a way to go.
The Hacker 4900kv motor in mine lasted me over a year, and I say lasted as I've just shippped it off to a bud, so he can play with it. Never gave me a lick of trouble, same power and speed when I retired it from the day I put it in there.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:13 PM
Crash One
My Feedback: (42)

Knowing you, I know where you sent that bird. To play in the sand and wind. That was nice of you!
Old 07-14-2006, 01:18 PM
shovelheadfreak

but can i use a brushless motor with the stock PZ electronics? didn`t think i could do that.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:33 PM
gunracer

if you get the powerzone adapter along with with a bl esc, you can go bl with the stock pz electronics...
Old 07-20-2006, 04:37 AM
service_dude

I have a 5 month old cub here and thought it was time to replace the wing. During the time I've had the cub I've always left the wing on the plane and It lost its dihedral and was fairly crushed on the center of the wing from the rubber bands. Not wanting the new wing to suffer the same fate, I attached it with blind nuts, screws and 2 popsicle sticks. I epoxy glued 2 popsicle stick half's inside the fuse at the front and back with the blind nuts attached. Shaped and painted 2 more popsicle stick half's and epoxy glued them to the top of the wing. It seems to have worked very well, was out flying the cub last night and she flies like new again.

JT.

Name:	Ay76037.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	494013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37763.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	494014  
Old 07-20-2006, 05:31 AM
Glacier Girl

service dude,
As long as you don't crash, you have a better hook up. The rubber band set up does have it's weakness. And in a way it's designed to be weak, so the wing can move in a not so perfect landing. In your set up the same landing is going to tear up the wing and the fuselage.

And as long as I'm on a roll, Rubber Bands 101: They are destroyed by exposure to the UV rays of the sun, check them often as they weaken quickly, this can cause a not so secure fit, which will play havoc with how she flies. Spares should be stored in a brown paper bag to prevent the sun from getting to them. Also try and keep them somewhere cool, as heat can actually fuze them together. Use one set for flying, and use just 2 bands for storing, you only need enough strength to keep the wing from flopping around. Some also suggest storing spare bands mixed in with talcum or baby powder to help extend their life. Never tried that one so I can't say yea or nay on it.

Lastly, on Dihedral, or the "V" shape the wing has, view'd from the front/back.
This is a self centering feature, helps keep the Cub flying straight. Simple explanation as to how it works, the dihedral allows air to spill out from the wing tips, less lift vs further in on the wing. This keeps the fuselage centered between the wing tips in flight, kinda like a pendulum. Helps when you are first learning to fly. BUT it will fight you when you try any type of acrobatics, as the wing will be trying to right the bird as you are trying something like a roll.
If you install ailerons, all you will see is a crabbing or yawl condition, it will barely bank.
You need to reposition the straps on the fuselage to pull the dihedral out of the wing, then you will see the ailerons do their stuff.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:01 AM
STO

I have been having some power issues with my PZ J3 Cub. Figured that since I had changed out the motor not that long ago maybe the problem was my batteries weren't getting a proper charge since I have been using the stock HZ Peak Charger. So I ponyed up the cash and bought the Hobbico MK II.

Bought a new gearbox to replace the one I toasted on the weekend, charged up my batteries and went to the local soccer field to give a test go. Same problem. Won't gain altitude, quite underpowered. So I thought maybe I need to completely discahrge my Nimh packs (600mih) and then recharge fully to get a good full charge. Put a pack in the plane to run it down.

After a few minutes the gear makes a funny sound like it's become disengaged from the motor pinion. I shut it all down and dissassemble the cowl etc and the motor had gotten so hot it had melted the new gearbox so that the motor was canted to the left and thus away from the gear.

This is a stock motor on a stock battery no hop ups. Should the motor get that hot?

Do brushless motors get that hot?

The motor has less than 4 flights of maybe 8 - 10 minutes each on it...what would make it get so hot as to melt the box?

Even running the second pack on the motor with no prop at half throttle the motor gets too hot to even touch...must be something wrong with the motor?
Old 07-20-2006, 06:15 AM
STO

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl

Jim,
Way back when I went through around 20 different motors, some more then 4 times the price of the Venom. None seemed to have the "guts" the Venom had. That's why I recommended the Venom. That said, it was 2 years ago, I'm sure there may be better choices out there. But a brushed motor is a brushed motor. They wear out, and if they can't be repaired reasonably the cost factor continues to climb, hence the switch to a brushless motor. Other then the bearings, there is nothing inside to wear out. And I'll be honest, I never had to replace a bearing in mine.
Might be time to look at brushless as a way to go.
The Hacker 4900kv motor in mine lasted me over a year, and I say lasted as I've just shippped it off to a bud, so he can play with it. Never gave me a lick of trouble, same power and speed when I retired it from the day I put it in there.
GG that sounds like the ticket i.e. Hacker 4900kv....? Does the motor fit the J3 gearbox and were you able to use the J3 prop shaft and gear? I read somewhere that someone using the Hacker said it was great but that with the increase in rpms would chew up gears....so I'm wondering if outrunner is an even better option....appreciate any insights...
Old 07-28-2006, 05:20 AM
service_dude

I had an art tech 1000 kV outrunner laying around so I went ahead and threw in on the cub. Had 2 flights yesterday and it worked fine. Really rises altitude fast at full throttle. ROG much better. Short video of the second flight, I bailed after 1 1/2 minutes due to high winds. I uesd an e-flite 9x4.7 prop and spinner. She still looks stock.

[link=http://jerrytmi.com/forums/Movie_0003.wmv]Video Link - Bushless Cub.[/link]

Name:	Pn35906.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	498067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48568.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	498068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73500.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	498069  
Old 07-28-2006, 08:55 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

I also have an Art-tech 1000 laying around, so would like to try to mount in on my cub also.
What did you use to attach the propeller? Did you use a prop adapter?
How about CG? Did it change much?

Thanks for posting photos. Looks like an easy set up.

Old 07-28-2006, 02:38 PM
service_dude

The prop and the spinner attach the same as with the stock parkzone setup. I'm using a e-flite 9x4.7 prop and an e-flite rubber spinner. The motor was .3 ounces heavier than the stock motor and gearbox. I replaced the parkzone electronics with art-tech 72Mhz electronics. As far as CG, I didn't check It before I started the conversion. I figured .3 tenths of an ounce would not make to much difference. JT.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:13 PM
PiperCubz

Could someone plz tell me the Shaft Size, or a good prop saver I could get? I was going to make one out of a wing nut but would like to see how much one would cost. So if someone could tell me the shaft size I would appreciate it!

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:56 PM
PMDrive1061

ORIGINAL: service_dude

I had an art tech 1000 kV outrunner laying around so I went ahead and threw in on the cub. Had 2 flights yesterday and it worked fine. Really rises altitude fast at full throttle. ROG much better. Short video of the second flight, I bailed after 1 1/2 minutes due to high winds. I uesd an e-flite 9x4.7 prop and spinner. She still looks stock.
She looks flat-out fantastic. Please, please, PLEASE post a template for that wooden firewall adapter. Did you use the stock gearbox as a template? Also, what are you using for batteries?
Old 07-29-2006, 04:55 AM
service_dude

I used the gearbox as the template and traced it onto 1/16 ply. I also epoxied small pieces of 1/16 ply to the left side of the wooden firewall adapter behind the mounting holes and at the top where it meets the boss of the cubs firewall, this was done to give the motor a slight offset to the right. Yes, I'm just using the stock batteries. JT.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:22 AM
STO

SD nice mod. I definitely need to go brushless on my Cub.

Thanks for the post and pics...
Old 07-30-2006, 11:41 AM
service_dude

2 video's from this morning.

1. Short flight of brushless outrunner J-3 Cub - 7.4MB [link=http://jerrytmi.com/forums/J3_cub_2.wmv]J3_cub_2[/link]

2. 5 Minute in flight video, J-3 Cub hauling around the camera = 132 MB [link=http://jerrytmi.com/forums/J3_cub_3.wmv]J3_cub_3[/link]

I changed the prop to a APC 9x6SF and had 11 minute flight with the stock battery.

JT
Old 07-30-2006, 01:04 PM
justletmesearch

Anyone interested in an FMS model of this plane?

[link=http://h1.ripway.com/pjprofili/ParkzoneJ-3.zip]Parkzone J-3.zip[/link]

Let me know how realistically it performs.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:33 PM
hray2

Fms Parkzone Cub file....i downloaded it and ran it on fms and i think it has most of the characteristics of the Cub even the marginal power....However i find my real Cub more responsive on the controls than the Fms model. There seems to be a very noticeable delay in the response to the commands suggesting sluggish servo action....Still fun when the wind is blowing above 10 mph....
Old 07-30-2006, 09:29 PM
PMDrive1061

Beautiful job rendering the Cubbie. Just wonderful. Looks great and performs pretty darn close. I'm now waiting for a RealFlight G3 version!
Old 07-30-2006, 11:28 PM
EBasil

ORIGINAL: PMDrive1061
I'm now waiting for a RealFlight G3 version!
Amen! I've been "converting" every plane I can in G3 to 3-channel, but most have a LOT more power than our Super Decathlon does...the Cub and the Super Dec would be cool to have!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.