Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Aerobird Rolls

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 08:26 AM
travelmaven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerobird Rolls

Out for a fast flight with the Aerobird last night and I got a good laugh when Irolled my Aerobird. I replaced the stock wing with I think the Commander wing and replaced stock rubber band with a stronger one. I was amazed that this plane can roll with just elevons. Has anyone else been able to do this???
Old 05-20-2004, 09:01 AM
mgenung

Default RE: Aerobird Rolls

Yes

I can roll both my ABC and ABX, but my ABX is easier to roll.

Good Luck and Have Fun
Old 05-20-2004, 11:41 AM
RC Sumo

ok gentlemen......so how are you achieving this with your ABC's? Can you describe how you are pulling it? Just something more I can do in front of the guys with my" toy kit" that I wasn't supposed to be abe to do......[>:]
Old 05-20-2004, 12:00 PM
mgenung

Again it is easier w/my ABX. But in general, full throttle, go to shallow dive to build airspeed (which you need plenty of), pull up nose to about 10 degrees above horizon. Full roll left to take advantage of motor/prop torque (it is easier than rolling right). There are two ways to do this, one is to hold the full roll left until the maneuver is complete. This is faster but if nose is not enough above horizon at beginning of roll your plane will end in a "diving" roll.

The second method results in a slower roll, but can have less of an altitude drop. Again start the same, commence full roll left, and once wings are vertical push up and left on controller until aircraft rolls 180 degrees (wings vertical again) and then pull back and left until wings are horizontal. This takes some practice to end the roll on the same heading you started with. I recommend you have plenty of altitude on your first attempt.

Again this requires good airspeed and I recommend you do it into the wind.

Good Luck and Have Fun

ABC
ABX
GWS Corsair
Old 05-20-2004, 12:03 PM
RC Sumo

Fantastic!!!! Great! now if only my commitments after work would just disappear.....
dont they understand I have a plane to roll?!?!?!
Old 05-20-2004, 12:06 PM
mgenung

Now I'm going to make you feel really bad. Am on leave (between USN ships) and will go out to fly this afternoon. (2nd time today).

Have Fun

Mark
Old 05-20-2004, 01:23 PM
RC Sumo

hey man...you're on leave...... ENJOY! BTW....lol.......you try any "carrier" landings @ sea? I guess that's too high a risk if you miss the deck eh?
Old 05-20-2004, 02:06 PM
mgenung

Actually while I was in command of a frigate, we landed on our flight deck (on the stern). We were using heavily waterproofed RC planes as 50 cal machine gun targets. A lot of fun.

Mark
Old 05-20-2004, 06:10 PM
foreverNight

I've done rolls.. I can also fly inverted. I'ts actually kind of easy you just need alot of speed.