Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

slow stick throttle problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 08:40 AM
foreverNight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slow stick throttle problem

hi all... when i do full throttle when i try to launch the motor runs for maybe 10 seconds then shuts off.
the battery is fully charged and it just stops. I try again and the same thing happens. Could i have damaged my speed control? its a ics 100. Also when i do manage to get up it has trouble gaining altitude
then the motor shuts off. I'm using 1080 and 1180 props and a 8.4v 730 mah batt. eps 300c motor. the ics doesnt feel hot. maybe i damaged the battery?
Old 05-28-2004, 10:36 AM
Tweet
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: slow stick throttle problem

I've had that problem before using a non-programmable radio. Do you have a basic radio with manual trim adjustments? If so, you might want to back off on your throttle trim. Try this. Put the throttle trim to a low setting and give your airplane full throttle. Adjust the trim until you have peak RPMs but no more. Make sure the engine stays on.

Some of the speed controllers have a method for calibrating the throttle range. Check your documentation. It would be nicer than having to remember where to put the trim, especially if it is a physical and not a digital trim. Based upon what you have said and my experiences I think this is your problem.

The other possibility is that your speed control is doing its job and cutting out because too much current is being drawn. You might want to try swapping the battery out or the motor, but what you should not be having a problem with the combination you listed.

Do you have any way to measure the current? I'm not familiar with the ICS-100...how much current is it rated for? I'm guessing 10 Amps.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:28 PM
foreverNight

thats a really good idea! I'll try it. the ics is rated for 5 amps 8maps max
Old 06-18-2004, 12:09 PM
connolly

I was wondering what is the speed controler? My brother has a gas aiplane and uses a servo to ajust the amount of gas which changes the speed of the airplane. how much do they cost?
Old 06-18-2004, 06:11 PM
NCQ3

AN ESC CONTROLS THE ELECTRIC CURRENT THAT GOES INTO THE ELECTRIC MOTOR CONTROLS THE ENGINES THROTEL. UNLIKE YOUR BROTHERS GAS PLANE IT NEEDS A MANUAL THROTEL TO CHANGE THE ENGINES SPEED. YOU CAN GET A GWS ICS 300 FOR $15 LHS. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT SIZE ESC , DEPENDS ON YOUR ENGINE SIZE. gws IS ONE OF THE CHEAPEST. If you go brushless , esc will cost you more!!
Old 06-18-2004, 08:38 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: foreverNight

thats a really good idea! I'll try it. the ics is rated for 5 amps 8maps max
I'm willing to bet that's most of your problem. You are pulling too many amps through the controller and it's shutting off.
Get one rated for 20-25 amps.