Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Firebird XL?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 11:02 AM
Tail dragger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firebird XL?

I have an old firebird XL laying around. I need a new tail and main wing. Will the wings from a fighterbird work on this plane? Are the wings any better? The problem with the vtail on the XL is that the control surface separates from the wing and effects how much throw you get. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-12-2004, 07:42 PM
kennydee

Default RE: Firebird XL?

I believe you could make the Aerobird or fighterbird wing work but I would replace the XL with XL parts. You can get replacement parts for this plane at Hobby-Town and many other hobby stores. I always glue the V-tail on the plane, I don't rely on the sticky glue that comes on the part. I use a little thick CA and kick it gently (spray a light coat of CA accelerant). When you replace the V-tail, carefully place the control lines through the holes closest to the wing surface. This will give you slightly more travel. You know, the performance range of this plane is pretty limited. I'ts probably best to fly it stock or near stock. If you are ready for a more advanced plane then try an Aerobird or maybe the new ParkZone Cub. I almost forgot, the old XL is now sold as the Commander which is an updated XL, so you could buy the Commander wing and tail.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:27 AM
ninja neb

i have the firebird outlaw
but it does not turn very well and has no rudder
so it needs a lot of space it turns by cuting power to the left motor and right motor
and likes fences and trees
Old 06-13-2004, 07:55 AM
kennydee

The BIRD line of planes from Horizon Hobby are pretty good beginner planes. I would NOT include the Outlaw in the good category. This little plane is really not manuverable enough, even for a beginner and as you've found, it takes a pretty large area to fly the thing(for it's size). You might try the Firebird IIST, the yellow one. This is an updated version of the Firebird II(my first plane). It's inexpensive at under 100$ and fairly easy to fly. When you're ready for your first "full control" (up,down, right, left) plane, you could try the Aerobird or the new ParkZone Cub. I have find an experienced flyer to help out the first time up with either of these planes (or a similar plane).
Old 06-13-2004, 12:42 PM
ninja neb

think ill get a fire bird commander
Old 06-13-2004, 08:54 PM
lift off

firebird outlaw takes more skill than my slowstick to fly.

sigh, I somehow had three now all are r.i.p. (resting in pieces)

Matt