Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

CEDAR HOBBIES B-29 BOMBER

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 12:39 PM
nchouker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEDAR HOBBIES B-29 BOMBER

HEY,
I HAVE A CEDAR HOBBIES B-29 ELECTRIC PLANE AND WONDERING WHAT TYPE OF LITHUIM BATTERY I CAN USE, IT GOTS 4 ELECTRIC SIZE 130 MOTORS . BATTERY SIZE 650MAH 7.2 VOLTS NICKLE METAL HYDRID. PLEASE REPLY ,THANKS NEIL
Old 07-14-2004, 10:26 AM
afac

Default RE: CEDAR HOBBIES B-29 BOMBER

Hi Neil,

I just ordered one of those B-29 from Raidentech. I can't wait to receive it!!! But I was wondering what is the flight time with the included battery. I Looked on a lot of different websites and they all say something different: 5-6min / 10-15 min / 5-10min. So I was wondering if you can tel me how much flight time do you get with yours ?

Thank you for your time.

Andy
Old 07-14-2004, 01:04 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been wanting one of those B-29 models but I keep looking for a version without the radio system.

The stock 6-cell, 650mAh NiCd pack can be replaced with a 2-cell Lithium pack. The capacity will be determined by the available room, current delivery, and desired weight.

The most likely choice will be the [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/thunderpower.htm]ThunderPower[/link] 1300mAh 2-cell pack or the [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/kokam.htm]Kokam[/link] 1500mAh 2-cell pack.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:20 PM
nchouker

hey ,
this is neil with cedarhobbies.com
did you say something about battery convertion from nimah to lite poly,if so please let me know your progress so i can tell everybody about it and what flight time did you get out of it. to answer the other question, the flight time on the b-29 is about 8 minutes but you can get 10 minutes if you thermal up with it. i tell you, it flies great with rudder/elevator control. i offer plans along with the plane to show you the cg and servos instalations+what type of speed controller you would need.check out the november issue of backyard flyer for product review on this nice plane.please email me with any questions regarding the b-29 and i will be glad to help .
thanks again neil.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:49 PM
SaMx

i thought the b-29 model from cedar was just a 2 channel plane. it can be converted to 3ch??
Old 07-18-2004, 08:58 AM
afac

Thanks Neil for the info about the flight time.
I have the regular NiMh battery from the kit. I just received my B-29 yesterday. This model have arealy nice look! Can't wait to fly it! Hoppfuly on Monday if the weather is ok. This is a 2 channel plane with thrust vectoring, but there is a some room inside the fuselage that would easly allow 2 micro servo and a ECS...

Thanks Andy

Here are some picture :
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26823.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	154709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47406.jpg
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	154710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66203.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	154711  
Old 10-28-2004, 08:58 AM
TerryE
My Feedback: (12)

Built it, flew it - 30 SECONDS!
Crashed it [:@]

Lessons:

1) before you attach the plastic motor holder to the wings, take a screwdriver and tighten down (carefully) the motor hold-downs. This is what caused mine to crash (a motor got loose, jammed the prop and it was all down hill from there).

2) Put some plastic packing tape on the front and rear of the wing - it is fragile! My wing broke at the far end of the plastic motor holder.

3) Take some of the expandable insulation foam (in a can) and squirt it into the very front of the b-29. The thing is hollow [X(], and when/if you crash the entire front section will just crumple (trust me [:@] ). By filling this are with foam it will really strengthen it.

4) Take some clear packing tape and run a piece lengthwise down the fuse covering the seam in the foam. You can also use duct tape, which matches the color pretty well. The plane is literally put together with tape [X(][:@] and is liable (gonna) to split. With packing tape over the fuse join it is a lot better.

If you crash and the wing is not reapirable, you can substitute a badius wing from Radian tech (http://www.raidentech.com/acbamapa331.html) for the b-29 wings. They are almost exactly the same size, but the Badius wing has a spar in it. (You can paint it with silver spray paint because of the covering - the paint wont eat the foam!)

I have done all of the above and my b-29 flies (finally). I love the sound of the 4 engines, and with the reinforcements it will withstand my inevitable crashes.

Terry
Old 11-02-2004, 05:19 PM
nchouker

man,
you need to start dealing with cedar hobbies,they are experts on the b-29,just call them up on the b-29 bomber,they have plans ,even
how to for 3 ch version with lithuim poly and the right stuff to get you going,check out the new backyard flyer about the b-29 bomber.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:48 AM
TerryE

I have tried e-mailing them several times (for advice before I started, and repair parts after I crashed.

Never got a response
Glad you had a better experience than I did.

Terry
Old 11-03-2004, 12:14 PM
nchouker

www.cedarhobbies.com or try 832 202 7343
Old 11-03-2004, 12:36 PM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

Thanks for the info, Neil from Cedar hobbies. I've been looking at this plane but didn't want the "thrust vectoring" control. Do the instructions for converting to rudder/elevator control come with the kit or do I have to order them separate? Thanks, Gary
Old 11-03-2004, 12:52 PM
TerryE

Thats the website I have been using to try to get them...

ORIGINAL: dc5

www.cedarhobbies.com or try 832 202 7343
Old 11-03-2004, 03:45 PM
Keester

I bought what I think is the same B29 off Ebay. It came with a cheap radio, and only throttle and motor bank speed control for steering. The first thing I did was hinge the rudder and elevator, installed 2 HS55 servos with a feather Rx. For the speed control I removed the existing [and heavy] set up and used 2 GWS 100 speed controllers. I soldered them together [keeping the wire length the same] but I wired them so that one speed controller runs the 2 inboard motors and the other runs the outboard set. So if one quits before the other it will be easier to control. I did this soley as an experiment, Boy was I suprised! With the stock 6 cell AAA 650 Mah batt pack it flies very well. It seems to take a lot to get it off the ground [slow to rise] But when it gets up I can back off the throttle to 1/2 and the thing will stay up a long time. I think the long slender wings are very efficient [probably like the real B29] What a pleasant suprise though. Its one of my favorite planes to look at and fly. I traced out the lines with a felt pen to make it more scale looking. Also the silver foam is easy to repair with testors enamel silver paint. I also found silver striping tape to cover the wing cap to make it look better. I never thought this would turn out so well, What fun!
Keester
P.S. How do I show pics on my posts?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31049.jpg
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	189564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58213.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	189565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51290.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	189566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un33747.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	189567  
Old 11-11-2004, 05:05 PM
fmacvpusa

My b29 is tail heavy. Needs 1 1/4 oz to balance. Should I add weight or fly as is?
Old 11-11-2004, 06:22 PM
Keester

Your right I had forgotten, but I did put a little clay in the nose but I didnt add much trying to keep the weight down. I hardly notice it being tail heavy. I put the Rx and excess wire as far fwd as possible as well.
Happy flying, Keester