Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

"PARK ZONE" F27 STRYKER...MAIDEN FLIGHT

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

"PARK ZONE" F27 STRYKER...MAIDEN FLIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 01:23 PM
J3 CUB FLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "PARK ZONE" F27 STRYKER...MAIDEN FLIGHT

I OWN THE J3 , I WENT TO M LHS YESTERDAY AND THEY WERE JUST GETTING IN THE NEWEST MODEL IN THE PARK ZONE LINE..THE F27 STRYKER . IT HAS A 480 MOTOTR(DIRECT DRIVE ) AND IS A PUSHER DESIGN. THE FIRST RECOMMENDATION IS TO FLY THIS THING IN NO WIND WHAT SO EVER ......MY FIRST ATTEMPT WAS IN ABOUT 10-15 MPH WINDS WHICH ARE FINE FOR THE CUB BUT NOT THIS BIRD!!!! I MANAGED TO GET 'ER DOWN IN ONE PIECE....THIS MORNING I WENT TO FLY THE F27 IN NO WIND AND THIS IS MY OBSERVATION. THE F27 IS ALOT HARDER TO LAUNCH ....B/C OF ITS DELTA WING/FLYING WING DESIGN IT WANTS TO NOSE DIVE AND THEN TAKES A OFF ON A NORMAL FLIGHT PATH . THE SECOND OBSERVATION WAS THAT IT IS HARDER TO SEE B/C OF ITS LOW PROFILE WHILE IN FLIGHT . A NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE IS ALSO THAT THE F27 RESPONDS BETTER FOR MORE ADVANCED PILOTS BUT FOR BEGGINERS LOOK OUT ...ANY QUESTIONS?
Old 06-23-2004, 03:59 PM
dribbe

Default RE: "PARK ZONE" F27 STRYKER...MAIDEN FLIGHT

The F-27 flies great in the wind! It is a performance plane for more experienced (aileron) pilots. I think the wind handling for a flying wing like this is more up to the pilot's capabilities than the planes.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:24 PM
f00sion

My f-27 arrived from hobbytron yesterday and I cant wait for the weekend! I already lowered the control arms down to the 3rd hole down on the aileron horn, do you think that will be too much?.. with the stock setting the ailerons didnt seem to move much but how responsive is it out of the box?
Old 06-24-2004, 08:02 AM
J3 CUB FLYER

WELL AFTER A FEW FLIGHTS I'M GETTING USED TO THE STRYKER......

with the stock setting the ailerons didnt seem to move much but how responsive is it out of the box?

NOT VERY RESPONSIBE IN "A" MODE......."B" MODE IS MUCH BETTER ..
I BET IF YOU CHANGE THE CONTROL ARM DOWN TO THE THIRD SETTING IT COULD DO SNAP MOVES!

LET US KNOW HOW IT WORKS!
Old 06-24-2004, 09:39 AM
dribbe

I would start in the stock setting.... The high rate gives VERY good control there (and the low rate is positive). Even the JR team guys at SEFF were flying in the stock settings.

If you move the rods down, you will have a much higher chance of flicking out of a turn or loop.
Start safe... you can always easily move them down later to suit your tastes.
D
Old 06-24-2004, 02:57 PM
Airborne 2007

Does anyone know if the F-27 can be flown with the transmitter from the Aerobird? On the same channel of course. Thanks.

-John
Old 06-24-2004, 04:52 PM
dribbe

Probably it can be flown with AB Tx, but I think you will probably only get the low rate flight mode.... and no way to get to high... The safest way is to get the right Tx.
Remember a MODE change sends a signal, and changes the software running in the Rx... it is not a rate change in the Tx.
D
Old 06-25-2004, 10:52 PM
rharrismcse

Man, it's killing me!
I walked into the local HobbyTown and they had 3 of the new Strykers in!
I'm an Aerobird Challenger and Extreme owner - with series mods I can control the Extreme very well. I actually make my own rear V-tails. Rolls, (spiraled rolls, inverted flight - no prob).
But these Strykers look very cool! And Alerions are something I've never flown with before!

My only 'real' hang up on this plane is the foam body. And the fact that it seems Park Zone isn't offering just the molded body as replacement parts - meaning, you crash it too bad your buying a new plane.

What's your thoughts on the durabillity of this little plane? How (if you can) would you compare it to the Aerobird series (Challenger, Extreme)?

Richard
Old 06-25-2004, 11:36 PM
dockman2

Actually you can get just the body but its not painted. Some people are buying all the parts to build a plane and using their own TX, Rx, and ESC.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:03 AM
rharrismcse

Really? Where are they buying those bodys from? And what does the TX, Rx mean?
Old 06-26-2004, 11:02 AM
dockman2

From Horizon. Its listed as " Bare Fuselage (unpainted) part #PKZ1267" and its $18.99.

Tx stands for transmitter
Rx stands for receiver
Old 06-26-2004, 11:16 AM
rharrismcse

Okay, now I'm really tempted.
I wonder what this Stryker could give me that the Aerobird Extreme doesn't?
Old 06-27-2004, 04:46 PM
f00sion

ORIGINAL: rharrismcse

Okay, now I'm really tempted.
I wonder what this Stryker could give me that the Aerobird Extreme doesn't?
the stryker is a completely different animal.. i flew mine for the first time this weekend and it is amazing... very crisp rolls and maneuvering, and very fast.. my aerobird may be shelved forever... I have even crashed the f-27 very hard straight into the ground more than a couple of times, the only damage was the canopy coming unglued but easily fixed with tape at the field and then re-glued at home, this beast is super solid.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:58 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Test flew my F27 STRYKER this afternoon and after adding a bunch of down and left trim it is a blast to fly. The wind was about ten MPH and it had a real climb problem. The first flight the motor was cutting out till I looked and saw I hadn't pulled the antenna up, then all was well. I fly gas powered low wing stuff and this was my first electric plane. I saw the JR Team fly the F27 last May and was impressed by it's preformance. I am happy at this time leaving the control horns in the top holes. I am calling my hobby shop and getting some day-glo orange paint for plastic cars and painting the inside of the rudder fins a bright color because in cloudy skys I get dis-oriented which way is up. Thinking of taking my Dremiel tool and making small holes in the air in-takes to cool the battery.
I don't think this is a beginners plane....but if you have some low wing aileron time you would be fine??
Anybody try the 9V battery? Wouldn't the run time be shorter??
Jim
Old 06-27-2004, 09:44 PM
rharrismcse

Does anyone know if there is a place on the web with some video action of the F-27 in flight?
Old 06-27-2004, 10:23 PM
ttmr

Good luck breaking the stryker fuse! I pulled a high speed stall at 4 feet and powered it in right on its nose, no dammage. Finaly mannaged to break a fin when the wind pushed it into a tree. I know that the LHS has a pair because I work there and they came with the combo so most shops should have those. Plus she flies nice on just one. I do recomend the venom battery pack for it though, 1100 so the fun lasts longer. BTW I liked the look of the plane so much that I was flying one the day they arived here in cincy. One of my favorite planes.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:15 PM
rharrismcse

Well I did it!
Just picked up my new Stryker F-27 today
Here are my observations after assembly and two short flights with it..

* It's light! Realy light - this 480 motor is MORE than enough for this plane.
* The foam body is pretty strong, but it does 'chip' easily. I landed it in tall weeds and it took a small chunk from the outer wing, I am planning on wrapping the outside edges with clear packing tape.
* VERY good control in the air - even out of the box, I mean TURN -it turns!
* DO NOT try high rate off the bat if you have never flown with elevons before (I haven't) - I tried it and nosed my plane into a tree (again strong body - no damage)
* I do wish ParkZone would have given us an on/off switch somehere on the body
* LOVE the pull levers - yeah!! No more fishing pull line for elevator
* This thing looks REALL impressive in the air
* It will glide for an eternity - I mean that
* Need to order another spare fuse - I see it coming :P
* Though I haven't used it yet - the high / low rate switch is awesome!
* This CH1 controller works with my ABX and ABC planes as well - no problem
* I like flying it more than my ABC but about as much as the ABX - I need more time with it and that may change
* Wish they would have put landing gear on it - or something. I will likely build some for it
* No "HOW TO FLY" CD or DVD is a bummer - I would have liked to seen some pro-flying by ParkZone
* The manual is cheesy -again, refer to above, no real 'tips'. I mean, COMON' people, this is an aerobatic plane!
* Cockpit is a bit hard to get open - I think the battery casement should have been lined with something (maybe tape?)
* I HATE the breakoff nose thingy - or rather, like the idea I just wish they would provide better adhesive
That's my brain dump -
More to follow I'm sure.
Rich
Old 06-28-2004, 09:43 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flew my F-27 again this evening and like to use half power on hand launch (center on transmitter) no problem with prop...just know that it is comming. Plane flys off stright with power and if the nose is too high the power will keep it going till the ol thumbs can get on the sticks.

Mr. ttmr said something about a venon battery pack. Can you give more information like volts type battery?? Web site to order. You have a newbe here when it comes to ele power.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:56 PM
f00sion

ehobbies has the venom battery pack listed on their site under related items:
http://www.rcprices.com/link.asp?linkID=1504
its 8.4v 1100mah... ive also seen an 8 cell, 9.6v pack mentioned in a few place but havent been able to actually find it for sale, maybe its new?... but i think it is also 900mah like the 7 cell so it wont last long.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:04 AM
dockman2

If your looking for battery packs just go to Cheap Battery Packs.com . They have the same size packs (listed for the Firebird) for $16.80. Plus they are Kan 1050 cells so you get an extra 150mah for about $9 less than the packs that come with the plane.

We (2 friends and I) just got ours tonight so havent had a chance to fly it yet. Since it uses elevons and is basically a flying wing with a nose Im sure it will fly simular to my Razor from FMA. If you have never flown an elevon type plane it takes a little getting used to. Fly on the low rates for a while because elevons react quickly.

We mostly fly gas planes and gliders but got these to do a little combat with each other. The best part is we got them for $125 shipped. You just cant beat that for a RTF!

You must have posted that while I was typing.

$30 for that Venom pack, OUCH! I think I will go with the 1050 Kan's for $16.80 from CBP!
Old 06-29-2004, 08:06 AM
jboomer

Dockman, who did you order through?

Is that for the kit or did you buy separate and install your own electrics?
Old 06-29-2004, 08:20 AM
dockman2

That was for the complete setup RTF. Ive got a friend that owns a race track and hobby shop. Since we buy all of our car stuff through him he cut us a special deal on the planes.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:01 AM
f00sion

I noticed on cheap battery packs they also have and 8 cell kan1050 pack, that would work right?.. what kind of connector should I get?
Old 06-29-2004, 11:37 AM
bhpd1438

i got one this weekend......i must have terrible luck.....you all say that it is hard to damage!!!!!!!! WELL MINE IS IN ABOUT 10 PIECES. I NOSED INTO THE GROUND AND IT LITERALLY SHATTERED. OH WELL, I GUESS I WILL BE ORDERING A NEW FUSELAGE.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:59 PM
rharrismcse

Just got back from an afternoon - FULL flight test with my new Stryker.
WOW is all I can say. Two full batteries later - WOW
Crashed hard once into the ground, but recovered very well.
I did my first outside loop
I kept trying to use the High rate, but it's really touchy and you can lose control of the plane real quick - so I would have to turn it back to low rate.
Even with low rate though, it flys REAL nice. And I can land this plane better than any other plane I've had - the glide performance is outstanding!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.