Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

a good docile warbird? (Suggestions?)

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

a good docile warbird? (Suggestions?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 05:10 PM
echolmberg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a good docile warbird? (Suggestions?)

Hi everyone!

I'm so used to flying my easy-going three-channel planes (Bleriot III and a Chubby Lady) that I thought I was ready for a step up. My brother (bless his heart) sent me a GWS P-51 for Christmas and I took it out for its first flight last weekend. Long story short, it now has about four inches of its right wing busted but it's nothing I can't fix. Looks like a nice clean break. Anywho, I thought I would fix it and then shelve it until I am ready for it.

Can anyone suggest a nice warbird that isn't as touchy as the GWS P-51 and has nice slow flying characteristics at the same time?

Thanks!

Eric
Old 06-23-2004, 06:39 PM
jkind

Default RE: a good docile warbird? (Suggestions?)

From what I have read on the forums the Corsair is the easiest GWS warbird to fly and the P-51 is the hardest.

Jim
Old 06-24-2004, 07:27 AM
echolmberg

Jim,

I think I'll agree with that. I was browsing the web yesterday and I came across a site which stated that the Corsair was probably the easiest GWS to fly. I didn't hear anything about the Mustang but I won't argue with you when you say it may be the hardest of the GWS models to fly.

I've been looking at some of the Alpha Models offerings and I was wondering, between their Corsair and their Thunderbolt, which of the two might be easier. Does anyone have any experience with either or both of them?

Thanks!

Eric
[&:]
Old 06-24-2004, 07:35 AM
Woody 51

The ALFA P47 is a very nice electric warbird to fly. (See the Hobby Lobby Website)

You will find that the finish quality of all the Alfa models is hard to beat.

The P47 is the slowest of the Alfa's, due to its shape.

They have an upgraded Corsair on the way, looks good. Pic below.

Have a close look at their FW-190. It is superb. Fly's very nicely.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26988.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	146830  
Old 06-24-2004, 03:05 PM
Tweet
My Feedback: (1)

The GWS PT-17 is docile.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:20 PM
Morb

If you want to jump into balsa, and a very docile warbird, which flies on cheap IPS power, and is very upgradeable, you may want to check out the Molt Models Hellcat. www.moltmodels.com

Seriously, balsa is NOT that hard, and will bring a whole new level of flight to you. I'm not knocking foam models, (have quite a few myself, and love them all. ) the Molt Models Hellcat will be the one for you.

Throw a brushless PJS up front, and you quite the rocket. If winter sets in, go back to the IPS motor...it's beautiful to fly, and LOOKS great.

Here's some video for you: http://www.moltmodels.com/hellcat%20promo.wmv

and indoors..

http://smoothair.rchomepage.com/video/hellcat.wmv

Some posts: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=Hellcat

You'll find that she flies like a traner, yet will give you performance when you need it.

Just my .02

Geof.
www.smoothair.ca
Old 07-08-2007, 08:56 AM
rleed

Check out the Parkzone spitfire. It is a very docile plane. Its slow flight is amazing for a warbird and it will do all the basic manuvers, Loops, Rolls, and flies inverted. Hand launches are a breeze and I have found no bad habits with this one!
Old 07-08-2007, 11:33 AM
FMB42

The GWS Zero is not too bad either. I have a clone of this model and it is pretty stable at low speeds with acceptable tip stall. Yet this was still a big jump from my high wing electric and glow models. Spits, 190 D 9s, Corsairs, P47s, PT 17s and 19s, etc, make for some difficult choices these days.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:15 PM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay, GWS and all others move over!

If you are seriously looking for a Docile WarBird and one from World War II and super light, brushless power but, can be slowed down like a "true" Park Flyer?

Then look no further than the FREE WING model, F6F HELLCAT as this HELLCAT is a True *****CAT when it comes to it's Flight Characteristics!!

Just look at the Video:
http://vimeo.com/1412238