Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Wing Dragon fail-safe - with new 4ch reciever??

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Wing Dragon fail-safe - with new 4ch reciever??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 06:34 PM
renesw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing Dragon fail-safe - with new 4ch reciever??

Hi,

Ive got at Wing Dragon on the way in the mail.

Im really intrested in converting it from 3 to 4 channels, so that I can make the plane roll.
I have a 4 channel transmitter already, but Ill need an extra servo and most importantly, a 4ch reciever.

My problem/question:

The Wing Dragon has a fail-safe function, that shuts off the motor at low batterylevels, so that you have enough batterypower to control the plane for a landing...

Does anyone know if the failsafe is in the Wing Dragons reciever or if its in the ESC (electronic speed controller)?

Can I get a new 4ch reciver and just put it in the WingDragon and install the Aileronservo and pushrod, and still have the failsafe??

Thanks
Old 07-09-2004, 09:02 AM
lozza

Default RE: Wing Dragon fail-safe - with new 4ch reciever??

There is a low voltage cutout on the ESC that cuts the power to the motor circuit when the battery voltage drops below about 6 volts. It shouldn't make any significant difference how many servos are connected to the receiver. The WD ESC has a very high current rating, 25A continuous, so extra servos will be a drop in the bucket for it. My Wing Dragon draws about 6A from the standard 7-cell battery in static tests with the motor at full throttle, and operating the servos doesn't change this much.

Someone in Indonesia has modified a WD to have 4 channels/ailerons, and there is a posting somewhere here on the subject, with a link to an Indonesian site that has photos and I think even a video of a WD doing passable rolls.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:26 AM
vinzlum

Hi. Do you still remember the forum which the Indonesian guy? I'm now living in Indonesia but it's really hard to find pilots around here especially when we both have the same plane.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:28 PM
lozza

Sorry, can't remember. Did a search but couldn't find it.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:15 AM
englischdude

Hi,

Art-tech will be bringing out the Wing-dragon Sportster at the end of the month. The sportster has aileron control for more areobatic menouvers. Should be good.

The receiver of the wing dragon is a four channel system so converting your normal wing dragon should be a breeze, certainly no problem with the stock receiver and speed controller.

They are also bringing out the Cessna 182 at the end of the month.... this should be interesting.

You can check it all out under www.art-tech.cn

Regards
Englischdude
Old 07-19-2004, 06:31 PM
lozza

Yes, I did know about the Sportster, or Sporter, and I think it's exactly the right direction for Arttech to take. I think it'll be a little while before we actually get our hands on any though. They also seem to be putting the 480 motor into the standard Wing Dragons now, at least the ones with Mode 1 transmitters.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:20 AM
hadis

Default I have CESSNA 3 CH from Art Tech

Hi,

I tested the another product from artech, Cessna 182 , It flew well. And it is affordable too.

[link=http://knvonline.net/files/cessna182s.wmv]CESSNA 182 [/link]
Old 09-25-2005, 12:39 AM
PaulPerry

I have the 400 motor in mine and it came with a 4ch FM receiver... the 4th channel isn't used. As a beginner myself, this plane has plenty of power during first 2/3 of each flight. Not difficult to climb until bat starts to die. That fail-safe works very well. I normally cruise at around 2/3 throttle and get 15+ minute flights. Also very stable when flown at unusually slow speeds. Therefore, in calm wind conditions I can safely practice slow-flight maneuvers low enough to see exactly how the plane is reacting to my control inputs.