Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

plane turning

Old 08-18-2003, 08:23 PM
shamigo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plane turning

i've been looking around and i've noticed that some planes come with 3 channel setups that use the rudder to turn the plane. If i was to build a normal plane, could i use a conventional design for a rudder controlled turning plane, or is there a big difference between the designs of aileron and rudder controlled turning planes? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2003, 10:51 AM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plane turning

There are many 3 control aircraft and also many 2 control (sailplanes). The 3 controls are usually rudder, elevator and motor or engine speed. The banking part of the flight to overcome adverse yaw is a function of the dihedral or polyhedral of the wing. Enough dihedral will obviate the need for ailerons. It is not a perfect system but it has worked since the days of freeflight. Some pylon or quickie 500 speedsters use ailerons and elevator only. The best overall setup is used by 1' = 1' scale aircraft which is ailerons, rudder, elevator and engine speed control. The exception is the delta or flying wing which uses elevons which are a combination elevator/aileron setup using both surfaces or each individually as needed. In the case of the wing which has no rudder turning is controlled by the elevons in the case of some deltas they also have a rudder which is coordinated with the other controls. So you see you can find many combinations of controls. Just be sure you have them in the right order.
The difference in design of 4 control aircraft is that you can do away with dihedral if you have ailerons but you must control adversse yaw with rudder and aileron coordination.