Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Thermal Hell

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 05:16 PM
ricktkenny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermal Hell

Well after an email from the gadget store I bought two littel park fliers called the Faclon gentle. These are ready to fly with 27 pr 35 controllers.
You control them with power on for climb and left and right is acheived with one motor sloing down.

I was impressed the first day with how easy they flew. It was so easy my wife flew it for at least 10mins and she as never flown in her life.

All was well until later this afternoon on the beach. Lanch was normal and she gained height easy, I powered off to let her sink back down but I never anticipated waht would happen next.

Seagulls started looping and circling above the plane, the plane followed with power off and just kept on going up and up and up, I still had control but with the lack of elevator there was no way I could stop it climbing. I tried to power out of the thermal but this just gained more height. I resigned myself to just letting it go on and on.

Suddenly when she was about the size of a pea she lurched up and the wings just folded and down she came. Spiral after spiral of speed build up until she hit terrafirma.

I have never hot thermals like that before, not even in my glider. I just wish I had an elevator. It;s a good job they only cost 60 dollars for two.

www.rcwing.co.uk

Rick
Old 08-02-2004, 10:10 AM
afineman

Default RE: Thermal Hell

Well at least you got it back

Unlike me []

See post http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/A_we...1968488/tm.htm
Old 08-02-2004, 05:07 PM
kevinv
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Thermal Hell

I know what you mean I farm and have a slow stick and a Yard stick plus another electric.
In the morning when the terra firm is heating up these guys are thrown around like leaves in a
wind, thats why I flew over the soybeans it has saved me acouple of times. Then to make matters worse in the evening I have to watch out between the silo an machine shed I get a venturi affect the breeze just sucks it between the two.