Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

GWS Slow Stick w/EPS-400C/BB Questions

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS Slow Stick w/EPS-400C/BB Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 12:28 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Slow Stick w/EPS-400C/BB Questions

Hi All - New to the electric side of things. I've been thinking about getting a park flyer, and one of the guys brought out his GWS Slow Stick to our monthly meeting last night and let me fly it.

This is exactly what I'm looking for, but before I had time to ask him more about we started the meeting and never got a chance to ask him any questions.

I happen to have two new JR NSE 321 servo's I can already use.

I see where Tower has the GWS Slow Stick w/EPS-400C/BB for $35. What I don't know anything about is:

What would you suggest for a RX if I'm running a JR radio as well as type of speed control?

He had a 1900 LiP battery, which we got just over 45 minutes out of. Any hints on a 30 minute or so LiP battery and charger?

I just want something that on those days I don't want the hassle of loading all the glow stuff up and driving all the way out to the field I can go down to the huge multi field soccer complex we have a couple of blocks away and get a nice flight in (or 2 or 3).

Thanks for any help or hints you can offer.

Gregg
Old 08-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: GWS Slow Stick w/EPS-400C/BB Questions

Well, most of the guys here are fuelies, but I have a Slow Stick, so I'll offer a few suggestions.

1. RX - Almost anything will work on the Slow Stick. A Berg RX is probably my suggestion. Around $50 or so depending on which model.

2. Speed Control - Definitely a Castle Creations Pixie 20P speed control. Fairly inexpensive, 20 A continuous, allows for programmable low voltage cutoff which is important when using lithium polymer batteries. $20 to $25 lightly used, maybe $30 new

3. Battery - Kokam 1500 High-Discharge - good for 12A continuous and 15 amp burst. 2s pack $28

4. Charger - Higher cost best choice - Triton charger $110 -OR- lower cost good enough Hobbico Mark II field charger $45

With that setup you'll get 25 to 40 minute flights depending on your throttle management.

Duke
Old 08-04-2004, 06:36 PM
GPutt33

Thanks Duke - That was the kind of info I was after. Unless someone else chimes in I'll start collecting pieces as I can find them. I'll do a quick search but if you would can you tell me where to look for the Berg Rx and Castle Creations Pixie 20P speed control. Horizon, Hobby Lobby, etc.??

Thanks
Gregg
Old 08-04-2004, 07:59 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

For used stuff, I'd go register at RCGroups. That is the same kind of thing as RCUniverse, but has a very active electrics group. Go into the electric planes for sale board and post what you want to buy. I have bought a lot of stuff off of there and its all been either new or very good condition used stuff. In addition you'll typically get a good deal, but as always use common sense and if its too good to be true it probably is (but there are thankfully few of those guys there, read their trader ratings for the good ones).

For brand new stuff: At tower they have:
Castle Creations PIXIE-20 Sub Micro Motor Control 36.99
Kokam USA 2-Cell Lithium 1500mAh w/FMA Connector 27.99
Hobbico Quick Field DC Charger MKII 12 Volt 49.99

Those are all fair prices, you could definitely get the Pixie 20P lightly used or new off RCGroups for $20 to $25 though. The battery and charger are ok though.

You'll have to get the Berg from www.RC-direct.com I woudl recommend the Berg 5 for $49.99 on special now and it comes with a free crystal. There are cheaper RXs, but the Berg has full range and is known for glitch free operation. I woudln't hesitate to use it in a big glow model.

Hope this helps you,
Duke
Old 08-05-2004, 08:31 AM
GPutt33

Duke - That was a lot of great info and help. I can only hope I can return the favor one of these days.

Thanks again
Gregg