Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Mountain Models SmoothE questions.

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Mountain Models SmoothE questions.

Old 08-04-2004, 08:24 PM
newparkflier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mountain Models SmoothE questions.

I have been lurking and flying for a bit now. I want to move up to an aileron trainer and figure the smoothE looks like a great plane. I like the Dandy sport as well but I think the wider and longer fuse on the smoothe and skinnier wing will make it a lil better flier for me. Anyway, on the the questions.

Would a GWS 400 geared motor be too heavy in this plane. I have 3S 1500 lipo packs now and don't want to spring for 2S packs so I can run the 350 motor. I also am not ready for brush less just yet. Will Hs81 servos and a hitech 555 receiver be too heavy as well. Maby I could just get 2 pico servos and use the one extra hs81 I have for the ailerons. This would save me some weight.

My main thing is the motor. I guess I would rather just go brush less then have to get 2s batteries. The brush less will be a lil more (thinkin himax 2015-4100) but it is something I could use in other planes
Old 08-05-2004, 08:24 AM
bugleboy
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Mountain Models SmoothE questions.

Well, I am flying my SmoothE on a HiMaxx 2015-4100 in a GWS D GB turning a 10x8 prop. I am using a 3s E-Tech LiPoly pack. It has incredible amounts of power. I am using a GWS Naro receiver, but I have the larger GWS Micro servos. I had to enlarge the servo tray opening to make it fit. I have had no problem with this setup.

That 400 would be awfully heavy. It may work as long as you could regain the proper CG. It will fly faster for sure.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:45 PM
newparkflier

Thanks, I did want to use the 400 for the power but just for the economics of it. It would be much cheaper to use a motor and battery that I have then have to get all new stuff. Guess I can try out the 400 and if it doesnt work upgrade from there. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:47 PM
bugleboy
My Feedback: (8)

Good luck!