Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

question about GWS kits

Old 08-08-2004, 06:30 PM
The Boss

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default question about GWS kits

Hi, new here and to planes. I have just bought a few new GWS kits and I am just wondering if I would have problems using 6cell AA nicad batterys to fy these kits?

btw, the batterys are 500 and 600 mah that I have.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62754.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	161813  
Old 08-08-2004, 06:48 PM
afineman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: question about GWS kits

all good kits

BUT if you are new you may end up crashing them, order 1 more kit, the Slow Stick ( GWS)
try and get good with that first before trying one of those other kits.

if you are trying to fly for the first time and you are alone I would suggest a step even further back and get this RTF plane http://www.raidentech.com/newdesmrarec.html , it is a dual channel with no moving parts ( only the 2 motors are used for climbing and stearing), I taught my self with this plane and it was GREAT. I lost the plane to thermals, I watched for 1 hr 45 min then it vanished ( got SSOO high), but I did get almost 3 hr on in air time, and it made my step up to the Slow Stick easy (this is how I feel), and it was cheap money, $45.00 for everything. I was even able to convert the 2 ch to a 3 ch TX, this made fitting the Slow Stick low cost as well.

Just my $.02 worth
Old 08-08-2004, 07:02 PM
The Boss

Hi, thanx for the info. Other people have also been telling me that I should not try to fly these right away so I guess I will look for another plane first to fly. I would really like to buy a wwI bi plane (double wing) to start with instead of of a standard trainer, I undertand it would still be harder but the thrill for me would be trying NOT to crash a nice vintage looking plane.

My worry is if I could use the batterys I have (500 and 600 mah AA nicads), I have about 100 of them to use.

I have heard/seen good things about the tiger moth plane, I guess I should have bought that one lol... back to the store I go.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:05 AM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: The Boss

My worry is if I could use the batterys I have (500 and 600 mah AA nicads), I have about 100 of them to use.

Go ahead with the NiCads, you just won't get real long flight times with those sizes, but since you have a lot of them, just keep swapping them out, charging them up and fly til you drop!

When you say you have 100 of them, do you mean 100 individual cells, or 100 battery packs?

Cheers !!!

BobbyG
Old 08-09-2004, 09:31 PM
geo8498

those GWS warbirds like the 8.4 V or 9.6V AAA packs. Eventually you may want to try a brushless, and they will fly much better. I have an EFlite 370 in my Mustang and it really made a difference.

You really should try the Slow stick. It's a great bargain and a terrific plane. It'll carry your AA packs with no problem. It's a worthwhile investment of $35, before you risk that nice collection. I moved from the Slow Stick to the Beaver before I flew a warbird. That's a good trainer too.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:19 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a slow Stick and chuck the nicads! By short flight times he means maybe 2-3 minutes of very difficult flight! You might get it trimmed out but most likely will crash first[:@]. You will want at LEAST 800 Mah with NiMh to keep them flying for a few minutes. After the Slow Stick get a Tiger Moth, you will love both. For the TM you can use 7 cells of 300 Mah NiMh and have a very good time. As for the birds you have NONE of them are good to learn on. The Corsair is probabaly the best flyer out of the bunch. I have been flying my TM for about three years now and love it. My Corsair runs for about 9 min on 8.4v (7cells) NiMh 730 Mah and flies OK.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:04 AM
The Boss

Hi guys, thanx for all the input, I was really hoping I could use these 500/600 mah AA nicads for something, I have about 100+ of these individual cells coming out my bum and I wish I could use them for something good. I really have my hart set on a Tiger moth and PT-17 now but i will look into the slow ugly stick plane also. I guess I will build these war birds for display for now till I learn.

hopfully the slow ugly stick will work better with the AA nicads I have. I have good chargers MRC 959 and 969, I just did not want to buy more dang batterys lol.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:42 AM
foreverNight

You got some really nice kits there. Take everyones advice and get a slowstick and fly that first. the warbirds are fast and very responsive. I have the Zero and i love it. I had some problems at first but, it was due to lack of experiance. You may want to read up on the A-10, i hear alot of people have problems with it. good luck!
Old 08-10-2004, 10:42 AM
WRX
My Feedback: (1)

Hobby people have a wattage sopwith camel on sale fer 39.00
I have had a tiger moth, great plane once the wings are reinforced. I kept breaking wing spars mid flight.