Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Maiden voyage of my first Slow Stick

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Maiden voyage of my first Slow Stick

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 05:15 PM
manateemedia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maiden voyage of my first Slow Stick

Well, I finally got my slow stick together and took it on its first flight today. I must say it was more
difficult to put together than I thought. I didn't have the proper tools, which caused most of the delays. Not
very fond of the Tawain style manual that came with the kit. I think GWS should take note of the "Ultimate Slow Stick"
thread and make a super stick or something.

I didn't get a good chance to fully test the plane out as there was a slight wind. I was surprised at how sensitive
the plane is with respect to the wind. Was fun hovering it when flying directly into the wind, but I was afraid to do
too much flying for fear of losing control of it. It would be my guess that this plane prefers almost zero wind.

My other surprise was how easily I broke the propellor. I landed and the prop hit the ground and broke off
one blade. It wasn't that hard of a landing, either.

But, all in all I think this will be a fun plane to fly - as long as there is no wind. I'm a beginner and need every advantage
possible. Anyone have problems with props or recommend a better prop?

To be continued...

Pic of my slow stick below:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38772.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	162454  
Old 08-10-2004, 10:55 PM
afineman

Default RE: Maiden voyage of my first Slow Stick

this is my ONLY problem with the Slow Stick.

check the forum, you will find "Prop Savers" and epoxy reinforcements that do help.

I now fly the Stick well, so, I don't use the prop saver BUY I do epoxy the weak points
Old 08-10-2004, 11:06 PM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

If the landing gear seems flimsy you can solder a piece of wire across it about half way down. This stiffens it a lot and might help prevent prop strikes.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:49 AM
manateemedia

Hmm.. why didn't I think of that earlier? Doh! There are quite a few mods.. I wonder if GWS will ever take notice? They really
should take every mod out there and put a Super Slow Stick on the market (with manual in better english). I knew the tape that
came with it wouldn't work so I used fiberglass shipping tape instead. The prop breaking was a big surprise though... never thought
it would break so easily.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:18 PM
Epoxy Cup

Manta

As you are finding out the SS is a great starter plane. But it is really more than that. I have many planes glow & electric form 3D to the SS. I still like the SS. It is probably one of the best small thermal gliders I have. I am in the process of putting LED's on it for night flying[8D], and I just got the GWS floats.
You made a great choice for your first plane, now go fly. Oh yeah, the posts in RCU are a great source of tips to help make your plane last longer and fly further. The people are a really great part of the sport.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:16 AM
manateemedia

I love the Slow Stick! I need to do some work on it as I think I might have warped the wings by leaving
it in my car when it was hot out. One side of the wings seems to be higher than the other which is making it fly to one side.

Need to bring it in the pit stop for a tune up. I love the plane and I think it is an excellent first plane especially because
it is slower and gives you more response time. Aerobird is good as well... much easier to put together than the slow stick, but
won't give you as much time to correct errors as the slow stick does.

I give them both a thumbs up.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:25 AM
WRX
My Feedback: (1)

I prefer "real" props like Master airscrews. They are heavier and would reqire a prop adapter but they are 100 times more durable. GWS prop = 1 prop per flight for new pilots.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:48 PM
manateemedia

Where do you get those props? Are they wooden? Silly question?