Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone Slo-V Review

Old 02-02-2007, 04:24 PM
djnsayne
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone Slo-V Review

gt

Your Center of Gravity is too far back....... move your wing towards the tail. Also check the trim of your V-Tail and make sure that when the sticks are nuetral the v-tails are level. You might also want to try it in the advanced mode so you have more control over the flying surfaces
Old 02-02-2007, 04:28 PM
djnsayne

Explain exactly what it did before the tail broke. For a beginner I would suggest keeping the center of gravity a little forward. The plane will fly a little faster but be more forgiving in a stall
Old 02-02-2007, 04:59 PM
churchill

I must admit I rushed abit as it was getting dark before launching it. I built the Slo-V per the instructions and everthing looked fine. After reviewing everthing I should have done some glide test to test the CG before a full out toss. I will, per your suggestion, find the exact CG and move it forward a little. Thanks for all your input.

Cheers
Shaun
Old 02-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Pilot352

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had some problems with the Sol-V. I launched mine climed to about 10 feet took a hark right and broke the tail. I have a replacement tal now and will be tryiug it again tomorrow. Any pointers?
churchill, I will give you fair warning on the Slo-V in it's stock configuration. Basically, it wont fly too well. It is so under powered that it will do what you have described every time. Until I drastically modified mine, I was almost ready to chuck it in the trash.

I suggest to replace the motor with the motor from the Blade CP pro. This will cost about $10.00. You will have to replace the pinion though. A pinion puller is about $14.00. Then buy a 3 cell lipo (can be had for about $20.). This combination will give the plane plenty of power to fly any way you like. The plane will a pleasure to fly.

I eventually put a brushless motor on mine with a 3 cell lipo and I can fly to 400 feet with a small camera on board. It can do inside and outside loops and fly so fast, the wings flutter.

The stock configuration is crap!!!

-Pilot

PS... thanks for the info on the regs!!!
Old 02-02-2007, 05:37 PM
djnsayne

Pilot

I beg to differ. The slo-v can fly well iin no winds in it's stock config. getting the CofG right is crucial. I wouldn't want to scare a newcomer away with all of the hop up talk

BTW. It is a good idea to get a couple of the 7-cell packs as they make the SLo-V much more fun to fly
Old 02-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Slo-V Flyer

I agree. I LEARNT to fly on the Slo-V using the STOCK motor AND battery, and tried the 7-cell only after I had already flown it in calm weather a few times. In fact I didn't know anything about CG back then and just put it together and it flew just fine as long as the wind cooperated (of course I went through the normal 3-4 nose-ins before my first event-free flight).

Just get some 8.4v 7-cell battery packs and you should be fine in calm conditions. If you want you can try the 11x8 GWS prop and get some more speed out of the plane to help if it's still sluggish with the 7-cell.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:23 AM
churchill

I went to my LHS after my trip home from NY this afternoon. I a 210 tail wind at flight level 415 got home to ATL 30 minutes earlier. Wind can be a blessing some times. Any way I did get the upgradesd battery and also noticed some some slots for moving the CG forward and backward. I had'nt noticed them before. I kinda went crazy in my local LHS and also bought a newTraxxas Rustler. WOW RC is great fun but also a bit expenseive. One other thing my LHS as a Hitec Optec 6 on for 50% off with 4 servo's total price $109.00 sounds like a great deal. I am building a 60" Zagi and think it would be a great radiofor the price. Any thoughts? Thanksfor all the input!!!!
Old 02-03-2007, 01:13 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Optic 6 is a great radio from what I hear. Plus I believe it can be programmed for use with heli's too if you wanted to. That is a good deal I think, though does it come with a micro receiver and are those micro servos (like those in the Slo-V) or standard large servos?

Careful with that Zagi! Flying wings like trick yer eyes when you least expect it! (Geee, how do I know...) But anyway, that's a nice fast plane to move up to, plus you only need 2 servos, so you'll have 2 servos left to use in your Slo-V once you upgrade to standard esc/radio equipment. [8D]
Old 02-04-2007, 06:38 AM
gt5500

ORIGINAL: djnsayne

gt

Your Center of Gravity is too far back....... move your wing towards the tail. Also check the trim of your V-Tail and make sure that when the sticks are nuetral the v-tails are level. You might also want to try it in the advanced mode so you have more control over the flying surfaces
I tried that but then it would nose down all the time I think it needs the 7 cell battery really although I flew it yesterday spent ages test gliding it and trimming till it would glide level then flew it, it was much better but it was a bit windy for it, one thing I noticed was to get a level glide it took a lot of up elevator but when I tried powered flight it kept stalling so I had to take off most of the up elevator does this sound like the CG is too far back?
Old 02-05-2007, 10:05 AM
hawk3ye

ORIGINAL: gt5500

I tried that but then it would nose down all the time I think it needs the 7 cell battery really although I flew it yesterday spent ages test gliding it and trimming till it would glide level then flew it, it was much better but it was a bit windy for it, one thing I noticed was to get a level glide it took a lot of up elevator but when I tried powered flight it kept stalling so I had to take off most of the up elevator does this sound like the CG is too far back?
Get the 7 cell and pick up a GWS 1180 prop...I can't stand that stock 1080 with the 6 cell battery, I haven't used that prop ever since I changed to the larger prop...

When you say stalling during powered flight, you mean that the plane is not staying leveled and keeps pointing upward into stall position? Are you able to at least compensate and nose down to regain leveled flight? I do notice that the Slo-V has a hard time gaining altitude with the 6 cell attached....

Old 02-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Pilot352

Pilot

I beg to differ. The slo-v can fly well iin no winds in it's stock config. getting the CofG right is crucial. I wouldn't want to scare a newcomer away with all of the hop up talk
It's funny that you say this when almost every post here says to change the prop/motor/battery etc...

I guess we're all entitled to our opinions and its my opinion that trying to fly the Slo-V in its stock configuration is like flying dog doo with wings!!! Why should the CG be so important? If it were powered correctly, the CG wouldn't be so critical. Don't get me wrong, I like this plane for quiet afternoons in the park, but only if it's been modified to fly like a plane and not dog doo.

-Pilot
Old 02-05-2007, 02:48 PM
gt5500

ORIGINAL: Pilot352

Pilot

It's funny that you say this when almost every post here says to change the prop/motor/battery etc...

I guess we're all entitled to our opinions and its my opinion that trying to fly the Slo-V in its stock configuration is like flying dog doo with wings!!! Why should the CG be so important? If it were powered correctly, the CG wouldn't be so critical. Don't get me wrong, I like this plane for quiet afternoons in the park, but only if it's been modified to fly like a plane and not dog doo.

-Pilot
Well I beg to differ with your opinion despite me entering this thread with feelings that the stock battery is not up to the job after playing with the CG I managed to get a great flight yesterday in a light breeze with the stock battery and prop. It was only my second flight on a 3ch and after a few minutes I was easily able to do an inside loop without loosing hardly any altitude. I will say that the bigger battery would probably make it fly better in a breeze and also make it climb faster but I would have to say in stock form it does not fly like dog doo doo as you say it flies as it a slow lazy parkflyer should, the bigger battery merely makes it a bit more versatile. Now don't get me wrong I am going to order the 7 cell battery and try the GWS prop but I would like to make it clear that anyone that thinks it doesn't fly in standard form needs to do a bit of trimming and check the CG.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Pilot352

Everyone has been saying here that the stock configuration is fine, yet they all say that "it could be better if..." or "It's fine, BUT....". I read this as saying that the stock config is NOT fine. If it's fine, then why change it? Because, by changing it, you can make it fly better. If it flew good stock, then you wouldn't have to change it.

I think that it doesn't fly very well stock, hence my original statment stands: In my opinion, the stock configuration blows!!! It flys like dog poo with wings. And let me tell you, I've seen dog poo fly, and it doesn't fly very well!!!

-Pilot
Old 02-05-2007, 10:01 PM
djnsayne

Everyone has been saying here that the stock configuration is fine, yet they all say that "it could be better if..." or "It's fine, BUT....". I read this as saying that the stock config is NOT fine. If it's fine, then why change it? Because, by changing it, you can make it fly better. If it flew good stock, then you wouldn't have to change it.

I think that it doesn't fly very well stock, hence my original statment stands: In my opinion, the stock configuration blows!!! It flys like dog poo with wings. And let me tell you, I've seen dog poo fly, and it doesn't fly very well!!!

-Pilot

When you saw that poo fly it must have landed on you because your attitude is really sh**ty. If you don't understand the importance of a proper cg then YOU should not advise ANYONE on how to properly configure their plane. Why do you think that they distribute luggage very carefully on full-sized planes? An improper CofG can do some pretty wild things!
Old 02-05-2007, 10:06 PM
djnsayne

Gt

Try to trim your plane so that when you are FLYING with 1/2 to 3/4 throttle the plane will maintain a straight heading with no real loss or gain of altitude. At full throttle your plane should climb without stalling and with no throttle you should have to hold a bit of down elevator to keep your plane gliding.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:04 AM
Pilot352

When you saw that poo fly it must have landed on you because your attitude is really sh**ty. If you don't understand the importance of a proper cg then YOU should not advise ANYONE on how to properly configure their plane. Why do you think that they distribute luggage very carefully on full-sized planes? An improper CofG can do some pretty wild things!
First, why are you taking this to a personal level? I never attacked anyone here. Your personal attack was uncalled for. I stated an opinion based on my experiences with this plane.

Second, as for my understanding of CG and qualifications to give advice, you need to read my off topic post to churchill a few back. I am fully aware of the concepts of aircraft behavior and flight characteristics. I would be bolden to say that I know more than you. If the FAA feels that after a year in training and several written and in flight tests that I'm qualified, then, I'm qualified.

So, please grow up and act like an adult and keep this civil.

-Pilot
Old 02-06-2007, 12:13 PM
djnsayne

Pilot

While you choose to deal with opinion, I deal only with facts. YOU stated that the CofG is not important in a previous post which means that YOU do not clearly understand the physics of a flying model airplane. You also stated that you have seen dog poo with wings fly, now I have never seen dog poo fly, but I can imagine that it was a very short and abrupt flight. A slo-v, in bad trim and severely out of balance would still perform better than dog poo. Also as someone that is fairly new to rc flight, it bothers me that you would try to discourage a newbie to the hobby. It is not a good thing to tell someone that their first excursion into rc is dog crap.It is my OPINION that you have a crappy attitude, and you SHOULD NOT advise anyone new to RC as you do more harm than help. I hope you have a wonderful day and I will not be responding to any of your posts again
Old 02-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Pilot352

What ever
*lame*
Old 02-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Pilot352

Hey churchill,

I went back through my posts and I still don't see that I wrote anything that would have put off any "Newbe" to the sport or disrespected anyone. However, as you are a real pilot, you know that if you fly a plane close to stall speed, the CG IS critical (like djnsayne said). But my opinion as stated many times, this critical CG is due to the stock configuration being GROSSLY under powered. You can adjust the CG until you are blue in the face and it still will not fly well. You may get a few stable flights, but you are always flying in a buffet. A small breeze in the wrong direction will stall the wing(s) and down you go!!

Everyone here has recommended to go to the 7 cell battery or as I recommend, change the motor and switch to a 3 cell Lipo and you will be amazed at the way this bird flys.

-Pilot
Old 02-07-2007, 11:59 AM
churchill

Pilot352

I did not take anything you said in that way. I agree in its out of the box trim the Slo-V is less than inspiring. So no worries!!

Cheers
Shaun
Old 02-08-2007, 11:14 AM
hawk3ye

Everyone here has recommended to go to the 7 cell battery or as I recommend, change the motor and switch to a 3 cell Lipo and you will be amazed at the way this bird flys.

-Pilot
Holy crap dude, how do you fly that thing when the wings would bend and flap around from the speed? did you modify the wings with some supports of some kind?

I ask because whenever i bring my bird into too steep of a dive the wings flutter a lot....
Old 02-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Pilot352

hey hawk3ye,

This bird takes a lick'n and keeps on tick'n. At high speeds, the wings does shake quite a bit, but they have never folded on me. I'm still using the original set of wings (2 years old). I've gone through two sets of tail feathers though. I also fly with no wheels. The wheels cause a huge amount of drag.

I normally don't fly fast, it's nice to know that I can though!!! It takes off and climbs at 1/2 throttle. At 1/2 throttle, it still climbs 3 times faster than the stock config (if the stock config climbs at all )

With my setup I have done many OUTSIDE loops (climb to about 300 feet... Nose down hard and balls-out full throttle). Doing this really causes the wing to stress. I've tried, but failed, many times to fold the wings and they won't. It’s pretty funny to watch.

I actually run brushless now with a 1300mah Lipo.

It's a really rugged bird.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:06 PM
oregon9guy

Pilot:

I actually run brushless now with a 1300mah Lipo.
I am a newbee and have joined this conversation late and you probably have covered this well already and sorry if you have. I am interested in this aircraft and am interested in what I will need total to get it to fly the best as you suggest. The cost and where to order them. Was thinking about getting the DX6 in the way of a radio too. What do you think. Also very interested in the best way to go in way of a charger or a charger/balancer combo?? Any links would also be great. Like the brushless/lipo idea too

By the way this is not limited to just Pilot. I know there is ha huge amount of knowledge and experience here.

Thanks

Jim
Old 02-08-2007, 08:37 PM
djnsayne

If you do not have the Slo-V as of yet, I would recommend getting a GWS SlowSitck. It flies a little better than a Slow-V, is very easy to assemble, and is a good match for the Spectrum DX6. Also the items you use to complete the SLowStick can be used in future projects. If you go with the Slo-V you will still get a very fun plane, but you will spend much more in the long run by having to purchase a Transmitter,RX, motor etc when you are ready to upgrade.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:47 PM
djnsayne

BTW

If any of you are looking for a forum to get great ideas and Discuss anything RC go here

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5202911/tm.htm

ALl the people there are very friendly and there is a wealth of info here

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.