Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone Slo-V Review

Old 05-24-2007, 11:10 AM
hawk3ye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone Slo-V Review

Yep get away from housing developments. My servos still twitch a lil bit but not badly whenever i fly at the local park.

Also, my TX has never failed due to a crash, that's plain poor service - you should try and contact PZ directly.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:18 PM
toka519

THANK YOU...it is 27.045mhz and I was in my apt. when I ran the tests
i will try and see if it makes a diff. by getting away from civilization......thanks again!!!!!
Old 05-24-2007, 06:50 PM
XH2OMANN

Ok guys put on your thinking caps.. I have to decide what to do. My father who has had his slo-v for about a year and ahalf now, wants a little more power. He said he might like to go brushless and lipos. Is there anyway to switch over without a major over haul. (new radio esp etc...) He has a futaba 6ch. radio that is not in use, but its not a computer radio. How could I get it to work with the Vee tail? If not do you guys think it might be better to change over to the slow stick (I already have a 400 motor and gear box so I can get him just the No power version for 21$) This is what I fly and it has more power than the V. So for 21$ and esc. He could be flying the slow stick. What do you think? I would appreciate any ideas and thoughts. thanks you guys rock!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2007, 07:00 PM
eghershey

My transmitter failed on my Slo V and the ParZone people tell me its because I must have crashed it ????????? Anyway, I replaced the servo's and receiver and transmitter with a 4 channel Futoba. I had to replace the V tail with a conventional tail because my radio didn't have a mixer???? so I could keep the V tail. Yours might. It fly the same with the conventional tail....as best I can tell, I'm a pretty new flyer so I'm not very good at it.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:11 PM
XH2OMANN

ORIGINAL: eghershey

My transmitter failed on my Slo V and the ParZone people tell me its because I must have crashed it ????????? Anyway, I replaced the servo's and receiver and transmitter with a 4 channel Futoba. I had to replace the V tail with a conventional tail because my radio didn't have a mixer???? so I could keep the V tail. Yours might. It fly the same with the conventional tail....as best I can tell, I'm a pretty new flyer so I'm not very good at it.

No I do not have a mixer. thanks for the good idea!! anyone else have any suggestions??
Old 05-25-2007, 07:59 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

XO, You can buy a mixer very cheap if your TX doesn't have the feature. Just plugs into the rx. Then you can still fly the V tail.
Towards the bottom of the page, here. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/servos.htm
Old 05-25-2007, 09:25 AM
hawk3ye

ORIGINAL: XH2OMANN

Ok guys put on your thinking caps.. I have to decide what to do. My father who has had his slo-v for about a year and ahalf now, wants a little more power. He said he might like to go brushless and lipos. Is there anyway to switch over without a major over haul. (new radio esp etc...) He has a futaba 6ch. radio that is not in use, but its not a computer radio. How could I get it to work with the Vee tail? If not do you guys think it might be better to change over to the slow stick (I already have a 400 motor and gear box so I can get him just the No power version for 21$) This is what I fly and it has more power than the V. So for 21$ and esc. He could be flying the slow stick. What do you think? I would appreciate any ideas and thoughts. thanks you guys rock!!!!!!
I "think" the slow stick would handle the power better than an unmodified SLo-V. Tthe Slo-V's wings do some serious floppage whenever I push it into a steep dive, I'd hate to see it with a BL going full bore heh

Old 05-25-2007, 02:47 PM
XH2OMANN

Thanks guys for all your suggestions. and ideas. Now I just have to decide the best way to go. Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend. Happy flying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:35 PM
Slo-V Flyer

The wings may flap like a bird and shake the entire plane (how do I know this...), but even with a 3s lipo and 160 watts going through it full speed using a 7x6 prop (for kicks), my Slo-V has yet to fold it's wings even in the tightest of tight loops I've had it do. That's the original wing with no strength mods. I don't think you can say the same for an un-modded Slow Stick wing, which is infamous for folding upon hard loops or strain, from what I gather.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:56 PM
steve_a_reno

Just gotta say that HorrizonHobby/Parkzone customer service came threw unbelievably. Phone calls and e-mails from many CS staff appologizing for the problems and slow response. Motors and basically enough parts to rebuild my whole plane if I should ever crash or lose it showed up the next day. I am very impressed. I have no doubt I will be making many more purchases from them.
Just gotta add, all I asked for was for some extra rubberbands for the wings.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:10 PM
eghershey

Glad to see you received such excellent service. I'm still at a loss at their attitude about my transmitter failing due to, in their opinion, a crash?????. I had to convert the whole plane to another receiver and servos etc because it was rendered usless as it was with the faulty transmitter.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:10 AM
ivanskye

with regards transmitter not working,did you switch it on without the aerial extended??, this can easily blow the output transistor and is easily repaired, can send you a step by step guide to a d.i.y repair if you like the other thing i noticed was dry joints on main pcb their aren't many components on it so have a dab around with an iron,even though you have replaced radio, have a go to get it going and then you can justify buying another plane to the wife lol!!!!!!!!!!!.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:10 AM
steve_a_reno

Having some more problems. Took the Slo V out again for it's maiden flight. I had just replaced the motor. Conditions were dead calm. From ROG plane hooked left sharply and didn't get off the ground. I noticed one of the motor screws did not seem secure even though I had just istalled it. So I tightened it up it never truly gripped felt sort of like the thread may be stripped on the new motor. The replacement seels to be slightly different then the original. The motor seemed flush to the mounts so I retried flying. Still pulling left hard. So I gave it some trim on the radio and adjusted the servo rod a few turns.

Well I got airborn but it was a ***** to control. Could not stay airborn without giving lots of up elevator but then would go from barely lifting to a steep climb and stall. I managed to deal with and control the flight and stay in the air but each flight ended the same with the plane turning hard in 1 direction and me being unable to regain control even with hard rudder in the opposite direction.

Also I noticed the entire tail section seams to bend when turning the plane is this normal?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:27 AM
ivanskye

with regards banking hard, just check that the control surfaces on the v-tail,(the moving bits) are dead level with the fixed portion of the tail,the stick fuselage will flex if it don't bend it will break this happens with the front if you spin up the motor on full throttle quickly,the torque effect will momenteraliy(forgive my spelling) warp the fusalage the carbon main spar,but no ill effects or damage occurs it's meant to do it again flex built in to withstand heavy knocks etc,also check wing position personally prefer it as far forward as possible but a couple of notches back is fine for outdoors, the banking hard check symetry of alignment of wings and tail measure tip of wing to tail with tape measure so all is equal both sides hope this sorta helps,but glad u got airborne dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-28-2007, 10:34 AM
eghershey

ORIGINAL: ivanskye

with regards transmitter not working,did you switch it on without the aerial extended??, this can easily blow the output transistor and is easily repaired, can send you a step by step guide to a d.i.y repair if you like the other thing i noticed was dry joints on main pcb their aren't many components on it so have a dab around with an iron,even though you have replaced radio, have a go to get it going and then you can justify buying another plane to the wife lol!!!!!!!!!!!.
Sorry I wasn't too clear on the transmitter problem. It operates the servos properly but the speed control is irratic. It goes from zero to full with just a slight movement and then as you continue to move it it goes back to slow or zero and then on to mid throttle or full. You can't really find a position of reliability of a particular speed. Its just way too irratic to attempt to fly and land the plane. You may end up trying to land at a full throttle or fly with little or no throttle.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:11 AM
steve_a_reno

Thanks for the info IVan. I will check it all out. At full throttle with a new pack and full up elevator I barely left the ground. Had to swithch to the high throw position to get airborn and then fight the left turn tendency. I know something is wrong. I will try moving the wing foward. Yeah, I was in the air but it wasn't pretty.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:07 PM
steve_a_reno

Took it for another flight tonight in dead calm conditions. Control surfaces are flush. Wing tip to tail is dead even. Smae problem puling left. Corrected by giving full right trim. This gave me straight flight but still felt difficult to control and when it went into a loop without me giving any up elevator I knew something was wrong. Checked everything and tried again. Same thing felt hard to control and after a few minutes pulled into a straight up stall on its own. No wind.

I may be picking up a stray signal in the park. When I was taking the wing off to stow the motor came on full blast for 5 seconds but my radio was off. Glad my hand wasn't in the way. My v is on Channel 1. Anyone experience issues like this?

Thanks
Old 05-28-2007, 08:19 PM
darticus

How about cell phones? Maybe satelite signals? Microwaves?
Old 05-29-2007, 12:23 PM
hawk3ye

ORIGINAL: steve_a_reno

Took it for another flight tonight in dead calm conditions. Control surfaces are flush. Wing tip to tail is dead even. Smae problem puling left. Corrected by giving full right trim. This gave me straight flight but still felt difficult to control and when it went into a loop without me giving any up elevator I knew something was wrong. Checked everything and tried again. Same thing felt hard to control and after a few minutes pulled into a straight up stall on its own. No wind.

I may be picking up a stray signal in the park. When I was taking the wing off to stow the motor came on full blast for 5 seconds but my radio was off. Glad my hand wasn't in the way. My v is on Channel 1. Anyone experience issues like this?

Thanks
Maybe a surface is warped? could be a bad balance? what's your CoG?

Also, did you give the main wing a few clicks "back" on the lil part where it clips onto the fuselage? I personally fly with it pegged to the furthest setting.

As far as the motor going off when you had the TX (radio) off - i was taught to never turn off the TX before disconnecting the RX (receiver), for one, it can pick up a stray signal and do exactly what you described with the motor running on it's own and two one of those stray signals can cause a servo to swivel and bury itself into a side and burn out.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:28 PM
steve_a_reno

Thanks Hawkeye. Where should the CG on the Slo V be. I am using the 8.4 volt battery pack and wing is set in the middle position. I could not get off the ground with it all the way back.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:14 PM
hawk3ye

Heya, check the manual for the exact CoG - I'm sorry, I'm not at home at the moment to find this for ya....

I would try and slip that wing back to the furthest "back" notch though since you're using a larger battery, 8.4 hhmm...this is the 7 cell right?

Also, you may want to recheck to see if the brakcets used to hold down the wings and tail are screwed in around the proper place just for kicks - and lastly take the fuselage shaft and try to twist it gentl, if it "gives" you may have a crack in the fuselage which may be giving that unwanted twisting you observed earlier. Its a simple epoxy fix but it does screw up a flight.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:06 AM
steve_a_reno

Couldn't find COG info in the manual. I believe I am getting some radio intereferrence at the field. Which sucks because I haven't found any other decent places to fly near by. But I was there yesterday with an Aero-ace and in the same location where my Slo v went into full up elevator - the AA jet was going on and off by it self and in the air was doing what ever it wanted.

At this point the Slo V has done a few nose dives and I will need ito check for damage but I can't see replacing things just to not fly correctly in the same park. I think I am going to shelf the Slo V for a while and see if I can find a plane on the 72 mhz frequency so I can fly in this location. I am thinking of a Tiger moth. Small and slow and upgradable as I improve in flying.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Just remember ->>>> Turn off the PLANE first, THEN turn off the transmitter. NEVER leave a plane battery plugged in/turn on by itself or any r/c vehicle, it will one time when you least expect pick up a stray signal and BAM bad stuff will happen, as you experienced with the motor starting up.

It's unfortunate that your plane keeps turning hard left. When it does that, can you see if its tail is actually moving and causing the left turn, or is it doing that without the tail? It seems that there must be a twist or warp in the main wing, even the slightest amount can do that.

BUT if it's turning left, that also can be in addition to motor/prop torque, since it wants to twist the plane in the opposite direction of the prop spinning, i.e. to the left. Do you know if it would still turn to the left if you cut power in mid air? My other bi-plane would turn left with more power, but if I glided it off power, it flew straight. My current Slo-V wing is weird too, it wants to slightly turn in one direction all the time, even though I can't see anything warped. oh well.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:28 PM
steve_a_reno

I just did a inspection of the damage from the nose dives after I lost control. Tail section is damaged and the fuse is cracked. I have replacement parts but am holding off till I find a different field for this plane.

Thanks for all the help and support.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:49 PM
danjfoley

Hello everyone. The answers to my questions might already be in this thread somewhere, but it's 43 pages long already! And i've read a good deal of it without seeing what i'm looking for.

I just got my slow V the other day.. and i have the following problems:

- the fuse snapped right behind the motor. So i just cut the fuse square, put the motor back on it, drilled a new hole for the screw in the bottom of the motor mount. I also moved everything else back a little bit (maybe about 1/2 in) to accomidate it.

- the wires came off the motor. I know how to solder, but the tabs came off the motor too, so i have no place to solder to. I tried soldering where the tabs should be, but it just wouldn't take. Any suggestions on how to make the connections or am i going to need a new motor?

- Almost right away the wing folded down right infront of the rear edge. Can i maybe put a peice of plastic or something under that spot in the wing to hold it up, attach it to fuse? OR am i going to need a new wing too?

- With moving everything back do you think this is going to effect the CG in a bad way? I will check it as suggested in this thread doing the wing fingertip test and move the wings untill it's good. Should that be ok?

- I was never able to fly it. Right from the start it would try to take off, but would bank hard right before even leaving the ground. Thus slamming the prop into the ground. I think the wing problem was there from the start. What are the odds of parkview giving me a new wing and motor? And just where do i contact them. I see the contact opion on the parkview web site. Is that where you guys have gotten your excellent service from?

I'm really excited to get this thing in the air, but i'm dissapointed with the banking right out of the box. I've flow before, but a very long time ago, and i've been using the sims for 2 weeks and can fly pretty good.. even land in the sim.

Any suggestions on how I can get it back up and running. (Basically have a wing / motor problem as far as i can tell)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.