Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone Slo-V Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 09:51 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ParkZone Slo-V Review

Hi,

The new ParkZone [link=http://parkzone.com/Products/Detail.aspx?ProdNumber=PKZ1300]Slo-V[/link] Electric RTF slowflyer is meant for either indoor gym flying or outdoor park flying. The 45.9" wingspan and geared 370 power system enable the Slo-V to fly very slowly at an all-up weight of only 15oz.

Here are the Specifications:
[ul][*] Wing Span: 45.875 in (1170mm)[*] Overall Length: 36.75 in (930mm)[*] Flying Weight: 15 oz (0.41kg)[*] Motor Size: 370 Power w/gear reduction[*] Radio: FM with 3 proportional channels[*] Speed Control : Power FET proportional ESC/receiver[*] Recommended Battery: 6-Cell 7.2V 600mAh Ni-MH[*] Approx. Assembly Time: 10 minutes[*] X-Port: Yes[*] Charger: DC peak detect
[/ul]

Here are some of the Key Features:
[ul][*] Ready to fly right from the box [*] Includes fully proportional 3-channel FM transmitter, batteries and DC peak detect field charger [*] Mode Change Flight Controlâ„¢ System [*] Fully proportional elevator, rudder and throttle [*] One-piece wing [*] Factory-applied decals [*] 370 motor with gear reduction [*] Carbon fiber fuselage [*] Powerful enough for the park [*] Slow enough for indoor flight [*] X-Port enabled for aerial combat and bomb dropping
[/ul]

While I don't agree that it is "Ready to fly right from the box", it does come with everything needed to get the Slo-V flying in one box. That includes the transmitter, transmitter batteries, rechargable 600mAh Ni-MH battery pack and DC peak charger. All that’s left for the modeler is about 30 minutes of assembly, which can easily be done while the battery pack is charging.

Best of all, the Slo-V is X-port enabled!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19094.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	162723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47000.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	162724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89549.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	162725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60789.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	162726  
Old 08-11-2004, 09:59 AM
Greg Covey

Default RE: ParkZone Slo-V Review

To ready the transmitter, you need only to screw in the antenna and plug in the 8 supplied AA batteries.

Not mentioned in the Key Features above is that the transmitter has a switch for high-low rates. This is a nice feature that I have not seen from ParkZone before.

Name:	Xv65016.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	162727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15919.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	162728  
Old 08-11-2004, 10:13 AM
Greg Covey

There is some amount of assembly required to ready the Slo-V. The gear mains and tail gear simply press into place but the wing requires some sticky-back guides and tape to be applied. My wing arrive damaged but I had no problem pressing it back into shape before applying the plastic guides that hold the proper dihedral. Although a bit beat up looking, it should still fly fine.

The tail section must be assembled with a plastic "V" piece and two long thumbscrews. The control rods are then connected on the bottom side of the tail. I needed to initially thread my screws in from the opposite side to get the holes cleared in the plastic "V" piece.

The wing is then secured to the fuselage with 4 rubberbands.

Name:	Yw66700.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	162738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32697.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	162739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41331.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	162740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj20025.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	162741  
Old 08-12-2004, 08:13 AM
Greg Covey

I could not find where the manual said to install the wheels so I put them on last just before testing the control surface directions. The wheels simply slip onto the metal axels and are held on with a plastic cap.

The servos, receiver, and geared motor are all ready to go. I only needed to snap on the plastic option module tray for when I test out the X-port enabled [link=http://www.hobbyzonesports.com/Products/Detail.aspx?ProductID=HBZ6023]Drop Module[/link].

Name:	Tq48681.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	163009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10338.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	163010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75585.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	163011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj20100.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	163012  
Old 08-12-2004, 08:14 AM
Greg Covey

My Slo-V was ready to fly in about 30 minutes. The control surfaces seemed fine and I really liked the High/Low rate switch function.

I can't wait to test fly it this weekend!

Name:	Ca81584.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	163013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17692.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	163014  
Old 08-12-2004, 08:18 AM
Greg Covey

I put my new ParkZone Slo-V next to an old "friend" for comparison; the GWS Slow Stick. The sizes and dimensions looked very similar, if not exact. The big differences here were in the V-tail design and level of integration. The Slo-V comes virtually Ready-To-Fly in a complete kit and is X-port enabled.

Name:	Yv66201.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	163015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58395.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	163016  
Old 08-12-2004, 10:27 AM
RickAvery

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just picked one up to teach my son to fly. Assembly was as you described. Watch for the double sided tape which holds the Rx to the fuse. My Rx was hanging down ready to dangle by the wires. Will probably put a zip-ty to make sure it stays in place. Will try to maiden this evening wind, or lack of, permitting.
Rick
Old 08-12-2004, 03:48 PM
Greg Covey

Sounds good, Rick. Keep us posted!
Old 08-12-2004, 05:33 PM
lwien

Yup............I'm really curious as to side by side comparison of flight charcteristics to the Slow Stick...............

I'm a total novice with about 10 minutes flight time on a Firebird Outlaw. I'm thinking of either getting the Slow Stick or Slow V for my second plane............I do not have access to an instructor, so this will be a total self-taught program..........

Really looking forward to your evaluations........
Old 08-13-2004, 08:38 AM
RickAvery

Well, the wind died down just after sundown, 0 to 5mph, and we took the 'V' out to the fly-spot. I was concerned about the amount of travel in the elevons as it didn't appear to me to be enough to affect the airplane much. I had the Tx in the 'LOW' rate mode. I went ahead and switched to 'HIGH' rate, wound her up and gave her a toss at about a 30deg angle. She took right off into the breeze and climbed well to about 50'. Trimmed her out without a problem. She flies real slow and fairly steady with the slight gusting breeze. I switched to 'LOW' rate and found that the apparent small amount of travel was enough to control the plane and did slow down the response. It should be a great trainer. I've never flown a stick plane, I have a sky scooter, and an e-slayer wing, so nothing to compare it with. I bought this plane to teach my kids how to fly. I throttled back a little bit and we flew her around for about 7 min. letting each of my kids get a small bit of stick time with me holding the box. It sure did look neat that big ol fat wing lumbering by so slowly. I launched and landed her twice without incident and brought her back to the hanger in one piece. I need more batteries, LOL!! She'll be a fun plane. I did put a zip-ty around the Rx and fuse. It was going to fall off with just the double sided tape holding it. Happy flying!!
Does anyone know what the technical size of the slo-v batts are? Looking to get a couple of extra packs.
Ri
Old 08-13-2004, 11:14 AM
dribbe

The 7 cell x 600 from the Cub is a great choice of battery... If you want a lot of run time, and are willing to make the commitment... Try a Thunder power 2s LiPo. It flies welll with a 2100 mAh.
David
Old 08-13-2004, 01:00 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

These are great reports. I hope others will post soon. I am really interested in this plane as something to recommend to new flyers. I have been suggesting the Aerobird, but it needs a fair amount of space. A real good flying slow flyers would be perfect. This could be the ultimate first plane for the non-builder.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:14 AM
rsknapp

Can you buy this plane without the Tx and battery?
Roy
Old 08-14-2004, 03:01 PM
dribbe

No, not unless you want to buy it in parts, and risk more shipping damage. David
ORIGINAL: rsknapp

Can you buy this plane without the Tx and battery?
Roy
Old 08-16-2004, 05:28 AM
foreverNight

So the gear isnt transferable to another plane?
Old 08-16-2004, 05:56 AM
Mhale71

hey greg ive seen you do reviews before.... man you must have a full garage

*drool
Old 08-16-2004, 10:25 AM
RickAvery

Flew 7 or 8 battery packs through this plane this weekend and all is well. My daughter, 11yrs old, did very well. I launched and landed it but she took the stick for the majority if the packs and with me calling out a few instructions was able to keep her altitude and keep it in front of her. We're using the low rate mode and as long as the wind very low, it flies fine. It's going tp be a good learning tool. I can't compare with the slow-stick, never flown one, but the 'V' sure seems like a good flier. Happy flying!!
Ric
Old 08-16-2004, 08:27 PM
jchumley
My Feedback: (1)

Flew mine this evening for the first time. My first real electric. Slight Breeze. No problems. Easy control. Easy takeoff from pavement. Just put it on full power, don't touch the controls and watch it take off. The one thing I could wish is for more power. Takes forever to climb and I only got about five or six minutes on a charge. I did a loop on the second flight but came out of it a bit low to the ground.

Unfortunately it is a bit too big for my little yard but I don't have to go far to find a good place to fly it.

Jeff
Old 08-16-2004, 09:20 PM
Rat1

Put mine in the air yesterday. Ran a few packs through it but night fell upon me and the skeeters got bad and had to go in. Can't wait for fall when the evenings are cooler and the skeeters are gone. On my next trip to the hobby store I am picking up a couple more battery packs.

One thing I really like about this plane is the easy adjustable wing. When it is a little breezier out you can slide the wing forward and increase flyability.

So far it is the best 150 bucks (including tax) ever spent.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:39 AM
jchumley

anyone care to recommend a brushless motor? One that would be an easy upgrade?
Old 08-17-2004, 10:26 AM
Rat1

I ran mine for a bit to run in the motor and it seemed to help out in the power department. Also it seems to have a little more power each time I fly it.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:41 AM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: Rat1

I ran mine for a bit to run in the motor and it seemed to help out in the power department. Also it seems to have a little more power each time I fly it.
The batteries typically need to be cycled a few times to reach their full potential. If you run them down till the speed control cuts the motor off, let them cool 5 minutes, then charge them fully, after the 3-5 cycle, they will have reached full potential. That is probably what you are experiencing as well as the set-in of the motor brushes.

Good luck with it.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:01 PM
cgibbs

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and really enjoy reading the reviews and the flight stories. Currently I fly an old firebird xl and am looking to take the next step and this plane sounds like the one I'm looking for.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:27 PM
jchumley

I have flown the firebird XL a little bit. The biggest difference is that the Slo-v uses traditional controls. Up and Down are acheived by control surfaces rather than throttle. This is a huge improvement. You will love it.

The other major difference is that the firebird series has long, narrow wings with a fairly thin airfoil. It is much faster than the "SLOW" - V which has a really broad, high arching airfoil. So it depends on what you like about the Firebird. If you like the speed, this one might disappoint but the controlability is excellent. It has large elevons. On high rates with the linkage moved to the highest physical throw, I suspect it will roll pretty well and I know it will loop (with a bit of a dive first).
Old 08-17-2004, 12:58 PM
aeajr

If you like the speed of the Firebird and in fact might want a little more speed, then go to the Aerobird 3 Channel. Looks like a bigger Orange Firebird, but give you elevator/rudder/throttle controls. A great plane

If you would like a slower plane that can be flown in smaller spaces, then the 3 channel Slow V woudl be the better choice.

Both can take X-Port options

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.