Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Who makes a nice 48" + balsa electric kit?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Who makes a nice 48" + balsa electric kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 02:30 AM
czechyour6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who makes a nice 48" + balsa electric kit?

I want something with a little more precision than the flimsy foam with clear tape as a hinge, but something not needing a big fancy brushless motor, is there such an animal?
Old 08-12-2004, 11:59 AM
newparkflier

Default RE: Who makes a nice 48" + balsa electric kit?

not as big as you wanted but deffinatly more precision.

www.mountainmodels.com
Old 08-16-2004, 10:25 AM
bugleboy
My Feedback: (8)

I second that ...Mountain Models!
Old 08-16-2004, 10:30 AM
bugleboy
My Feedback: (8)

There is one about the size you are looking for made by Hobbico: SuperStar EP. Tower Hobbies sales it. There is a 3 or 4 channel option. Though I have not flown it, I have heard that it is a decent flyer. You might check the reviews listed on this site.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:02 AM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

What about the Great Planes PT Electric or ElectriCub?
They are nice balsa kits that you build.
I built the PT 13 years ago and still fly it. Very easy flyer. Glides pretty good too. 56" wingspan.
I don't like the trike gear that doesn't steer and the direct drive motor it comes with, but a geared motor works real good.
Both PT and Cub don't have ailerons.
They are very nice, relaxing fliers.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Epoxy Cup

CZ

I have to give Mountain Models a third. They are high quality and great designs, if you dont mind building. If you are looking for something prebuilt take a look at Hobby Lobby's line, just make sure in the discription its balsa. I have the Scorpio 3D from them. It's like a stick design not really 3D but flys ok on a stock speed 400 and is beutifully built and covered. Another is some of the wattage planes. I have the Decathlon, all balsa, looks good and flys great on again a stock geared 400. Rolls are very axial for this type of plane. Yes it has ailerons. Landings are tricky, small wing, 16oz, be sure to keep some power on. Fly long and prosper.

http://www.mountainmodels.com/

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/

http://www.hobbypeople.net/home.asp
Old 09-09-2004, 03:12 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Balsacraft used to make some warbirds. Towers used to carry them, but I don't know if they still exist.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:55 PM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: czechyour6

I want something with a little more precision than the flimsy foam with clear tape as a hinge, but something not needing a big fancy brushless motor, is there such an animal?

Echoing the Mountain Models suggestions, and adding that you might also take a look at the Stevens Aero line. They make a nice CAP 232 and also a 300 size called the G-Ride. They also just introduced their 3D of the same size, the Stella.

If you're looking at 48" size you may want to look at the 45" span Groove. It needs brushless but not big and fancy. A HiMax 2025 type will do.

Hope this helps.

BobbyG
Old 09-09-2004, 07:06 PM
geo8498

How about the Hobby Lobby Mini Telemaster; only $30? I also have been eyballing the Goldberg Eagle electric.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:16 PM
MAKODS

I've built 2 Hobby-Lobby Mini Telemasters and they are easy to build (they are my first) and you can't beat the price. One is brushless and the other brushed, both excellent flyers!
Old 09-13-2004, 06:51 PM
inverted flyer

I see hobby lobby has a balsa kit called miss stick....lovely looking, a really beauty, but no more than a trainer by way of performance...if you're after precision, i don't think you'll go wrong with stevens aero....the groove gets my vote...that thing has precision written all over it.
If you don't mind importing from Germany, 2 absolutely beautiful kits (and we're talking all-balsa precision engineering here) are the piper cub and tigermoth from Himmlische Hoellein. These are no run-of-the-mill versions of these classics, but rather 40" span lightweight pieces of perfection...manufactured to better than laser-cutting tolerances....to be powered by the humble geared 400 for R.O.G.
I.F