Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

New Begin-Air RTF Plane sighted

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

New Begin-Air RTF Plane sighted

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 03:20 PM
parkflyers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Begin-Air RTF Plane sighted

check it out at www.parkflyers.com

the 1st 4 channel trainer ever.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:31 PM
Planebeach

Default RE: New Begin-Air RTF Plane sighted

the page is blank
Old 09-28-2004, 05:22 PM
lozza

It appears to be very similar to, if not identical to, the Wing Dragon Sportster.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:57 PM
orernie

I just got my Begin Air put it together but have not flown it as yet. I am experiencing difficulty in getting enough right rudder throw. Any suggestions?[&o]
ORIGINAL: lozza

It appears to be very similar to, if not identical to, the Wing Dragon Sportster.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:15 PM
lozza

Remove the rudder control horn at the servo end from the servo after removing the tiny screw that secures it. Reposition the control horn so you get enough right rudder throw, and replace the screw. I am assuming of course that you have used already all the adjustment available by moving the push rod to the innermost hole of the rudder control horn and the outermost hole at the servo control horn, and by screwing the clevis on the rudder push rod out as far as you safely can.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:08 PM
orernie

Thanks Lozza your suggestion worked and the first flight was perfect. This Bird flies well but seems to want to wander a bit. Perhaps with experience control will be better.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:52 PM
orernie

I recently purchased the Begin-
air RTF electric and found that the design is not air worthy. Following all insturctions to the letter I was not able to get this model to fly at all. When hand launched it simply crashes like a rock, even with full trottle and full up elevator. It will take off from the ground on a smooth hard dirt surface with full trottle and full up elevator applied. Basically it has been a total waste of $192.99 including shipping cost and is useless. I would not recommend this model anyone.[&o]
Old 12-25-2004, 08:55 PM
orernie

Note: typo meant to say that it would not take off from the ground under any circumstances.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:33 AM
lozza

Either your technique or your Begin Air is faulty. Have you had experience with any other R/C planes? Remember that full UP elevator means you pull DOWN on the elevator stick. Please forgive me if you are well aware of this, but it would not be the first time someone has misunderstood this! If that is not the problem, then check these things:

1. Power - your symptoms could indicate your plane doesn't have it! Causes could be flight battery not fully charged, motor or speed controller faulty. The Begin Air 480 motor is pretty powerful, and it should move the plane quickly along the ground before taking off. Mine gets off in about 10 - 15 metres, much less if into a breeze. If you suspect that power is the problem, and know how to do it, connect your battery directly across the motor terminals, USING CARE, and see if the motor has a lot more power than you usually get at full throttle. If it does, it indicates a faulty ESC.

2. Controls. Check the elevator is level when the elevator stick is in the neutral position, and moves UP when you push the stick DOWN, and vice versa. If it is NOT level with stick in the neutral position, you can make small adjustments with the trim adjusters (little wheel-like levers beside the stick) or larger adjustments by screwing the clevis (on the end of the push rod) in or out. You can make even larger adjustments by unscrewing screw that holds the control horn onto the servo and repositioning the horn, then (of course) putting the screw back. You can also increase the throw (the amount the elevator moves for a given movement of the stick) byt positioning the clevis at a different hole in the elevator control horn, or the push rod in a different hole in the control horn at the servo end. The rules are, MORE throw if you move the clevis TOWARDS the elevator, and LESS throw if you move the push rod TOWARDS the servo shaft.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:51 PM
orernie

I also thought it was a not fully charged battery but made sure that was not the case. My Begin-air moves out rapidly but even after covering 200 feet does not fly. I am very well aquainted with the flight controls but this model simply will not fly. Even hand launching is to no avail. It simply has the glide attitude of a rock.
I have complained to Parkflyers but so far no response. Since the plane has sustained damage it is doubtful they will be willing to help.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:29 AM
lozza

You can be sure there is something wrong with your particular Begin Air. The Begin Air/WD Sportster is not normally lacking in power, responsiveness to the controls or glide ability. I can say this from my own personal experience and that of a number of friends who have them. However, because it has standard modular components it would be easy to swap out items to find the faulty component.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:49 AM
orernie

Right now I am totally frustrated with the Begin-air model and have switched to flying my Magister which flies like a dream. Because of it's many problems it has been placed on a back burner. Perhaps you are correct that mine is a defective unit but it is doubtful that any help will be forthcoming to solve the problem since it has sustained damage from a very unsuccessful hand launch. The Magister has flown perfectly from day one even though I have only about a year as a R/C pilot. The Magister lifts off in about 20 feet and flies with real command, giving me at least 16 minutes per flight before changing batteries. It will even lift off without elevator input but climbs out with much better authority with some up elevator applied. However if you have any suggestions on what to change out on the Begin Air I will do that in an effort to get it into the air for the first time.
Thanks
Old 01-04-2005, 07:33 PM
lozza

Since I am sure you have checked out all the control surface issues, I think the first place I would be looking would be at the ESC and motor. Do you have an ESC you could change over, say the one from the Magister?
Old 01-04-2005, 07:52 PM
orernie

The Begin-Air does have some control surface issues due to a rather hard landing following a very unsuccessful hand launch. I am working on that problem along with making sure the battery is fully charged. Right now weather does not allow a test flight so will have to get back to you on further results. I do have a spare ESC so will try that too if all else fails.