Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Dribble......Help.....Trouble in Slow-V Land......

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Dribble......Help.....Trouble in Slow-V Land......

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 12:02 PM
lwien

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dribble......Help.....Trouble in Slow-V Land......

Got a new problem. I was out flying this morning and notice that I was getting glitches........The engine would momentarily shut off and the servos would twitch at the same time every once in awhile. So I took the plane home, put in a batt, turned on the xmitter, left the antenna collapsed, and walked out about 20 paces ...........Here's what happened. The moter would start and the servos's would start moving at 20 paces. This would happen for a few seconds and then stop and then start again. When I closed the gap to 10 paces, everything was ok.

So. I got a problem............either with the xmitter or the receiver. How would I trouble shoot to find out which one is giving me the problem ????
Old 10-03-2004, 12:52 PM
Rat1

Default RE: Dribble......Help.....Trouble in Slow-V Land......

Did you try replacing the batteries int he TX also?????? Another option is that ET has parked over your area and it transmitting signals to his friends on the ground and this is effecting your Slo V electronics.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:52 PM
lwien

Rat suggested I try a new set of batteries for the transmitter.........Helped out a lot. Still glithched once at 25 paces but not nearly as many glitches as before. I guess that warning buzzer doesn't warn soon enough, no?
Old 10-03-2004, 01:04 PM
Rat1

I had my Slo V transmitter act up a few times and replaced the batteries in it and all was fine. To tell you the truth I have not even heard the warning buzzer on my Slo V transmitter. I know the one for my Cub will beep whent he batteries get low.

Check with the airforce and have them do a radar sweep as I am betting ET is back for a visit.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:28 PM
lwien

Update:

I put new batts in the xmitter and it cured the range issue. I can now walk fifty paces with the antenna collapsed, and no issues with the servos twitching or the motor going on and off. So I thought that my problem was solved........Wrong....

I took it up today, and still had glitching issues. The motor would shut down and the servos would twitch for a second and then everything was ok, for a minute or two, and then it would happen again........intermittently.........This happened in two different locations that I fly in. I brought the plane in on both locations to do another range check and again, it was ok to 50 paces and even more.......So it's not a range issue. For now, it only happens when I'm actually flying.

What could this be ?????
Old 10-05-2004, 03:29 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

I know this is totally different equipment but... My hyperwing was doing this a while back, however it would do it even when the transmitter was off, the motor was start going full throttle and the servos were going crazy, then it stop for a while and do it again.

I didnt figure out what was wrong. I suppose it must have been getting interference from something, it wasnt the battery or my TX, maybe my PC (I was up in my room at the time).

It did it again the other day but it was while I was flying this time, right after I would hand launch the plane the motor would slow down to like half throttle and the servos would go crazy, it caused me to wreck into a tree.

I know it wasnt a range problem because I did range check from 80' away and everything worked just fine, and it shure wasnt the batteries as they were fully charged both in my plane and my TX. It would only happen once the plane got up in the air, when the plane was on the ground everything was fine.

Ive flown it a number of times since then and havent had any probems so i guess it must have just been intereference or something.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:59 PM
Rat1

I know that one time someone told me to make sure the antena (sp) wire from the RX does not touch the carbon fiber fuse. Any chance you got the wire wrapped up in something and damaged it during a tough landing???????? Just a couple ideas.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:25 PM
lwien

Just checked the antenna........it's ok...........

Range check is good. Now it only happens in flight.........
Old 10-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Rat1

Not sure if this is true but if you look ont he back of the motor you will see a little peice that is soldered between the leads and then grounded to the motor. I think this is for eliminating Radio frequency interference from the motor. Check the connections of this. Just grasping at straws here.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:17 PM
lwien

Just checked, Rat..........They're good.................

Thanks for tryin' to help............
Old 10-09-2004, 07:46 PM
dribbe

Tough to diagnose these things over the net... Especially if you don't have anyone on the same channel you can test equipment with.
Fresh batteries in Tx was a good first try. (It helps on occasion).
Try a different location to rule out interference (very rare).
I would say MOST of the time, it would be the Rx.... failing some how.
But, the Tx is also possible. I don't suppose the hobby shop or someone has a Tx they could loan you to test?
If the motor was damaged, or the capacitors broken off, it could make Rf noise. Any interference when gliding?

(There are no known issues, but things do fail occasionally)

Otherwise, get an Rx, or call customer support.
Good Luck,
David
Old 10-10-2004, 09:28 PM
sgarnett

Several decades ago when I was last in this sport, it was very important to avoid loose metal on metal contact. just tapping two screwdrivers together would make the servos jump.

Fast forward to today, and the Slo-V has two long metal pushrods that cross with a split washer loosely holding them together. It doesn't seem to be affecting the FM Parkzone receiver, and the lower frequency (27 instead of 72) may be helping too. However, I remain suspicious.

That said, the RX in my PKZ Cub crapped out on the first day. It would seem to work fine, then just quit, then it would work, etc. I have a replacement receiver ordered.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:57 PM
lwien

How do you know it's the rcvr and not the xmitter ??