Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Slo-V vs 18 wheeler

Old 10-26-2004, 09:42 PM
jasonlava

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slo-V vs 18 wheeler

Don't worry, it's not as bad as it sounds. But here's the story.

I went in to work early so I can get off early and get some Slo-V time in. The weather called for 4mph winds which is almost the limit for the Slo-V but I decided to take her out seeing this would be my rare chance for a while. My friend and I found this big field of leveled dirt on the corner of two two-lane highways. The field was huge and quite big enough for a slo-v.

I did a preflight check, gave 'er the throttle and up she went. I could tell the wind was affecting her but I kept her in control. Did some circles around the field, then bringing her to half throttle for some Slo action. I flew her at about 20 feet to keep her out of the heavy winds. Well, I turned downwind so I could get her around to land. Well, a gust of wind blew her to the highway [X(] . I couldn't turn because the wind was carrying my poor baby away. LUCKILY, and I say luckily, an 18-wheeler came along. The plane glided above the 18 wheeler's trailer, barely scraped a wing on the back of the trailer and fell to the ground.

I RAN out to the highway where a car had stopped to let me pick the plane up. I was too shaken to even see if anything was damaged. I put her back into the car and brought her home.

The damage? Bent prop rod. Servo's worked like nothing happened and prop spins but I didn't spin it up since the rod's bent. Oh well, that's why I bought a new one. She'll be fixed soon and ready for another adventure.

I'm extremely amazed at the Slo-V. I thought I wouldn't like it at all because it seemed so delicate and clunky but it turned out to be the better plane than the Hobbyzone ABC. The ABC's a rascal and will get out of your control fast. The slo-v is very forgiving and will come back to you most of the time. It's not as delicate as I thought to survive a brush with an 18-wheeler and a great fall to the pavement.

Well, hopefully next time she flies, it will be in a field with no wind and a RC club to give help and support.