Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Yard stick sux, Slow stick rocks!

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Yard stick sux, Slow stick rocks!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 06:56 PM
PhoenixM3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yard stick sux, Slow stick rocks!

Could not get the Yard Stick to fly and had several problems with small plastic pieces breaking. Bought the Slow Stick yesterday. There is no comparison between these planes. Very crash worthy. I went through 3 props today, but no other damage. Can anyone recommend another prop which may be more resilient?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 11-15-2004, 01:22 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Yard stick sux, Slow stick rocks!

You can get APC props in similar sizes. They don't go on the shaft stock; you need to get an adaptor for them. GWS sells them. I have some, but haven't tried them yet (still using up my GWS props--you crash less if you buy a bunch of propellers!). You can also use a prop adaptor. You cut off part of the prop shaft, install the adaptor and then install the prop in the adaptor.

What you will notice though, is that you'll start bending more prop shafts when you go to the APC as they are stronger than the GWS props. This may not be as much of an issue if you use a prop adaptor because once you shorten the shaft, there is less leverage to bend it.

Many people use prop savers on their Slow Sticks which helps with both problems. Instead of breaking a prop, the prop pops off. Do a search on Slow Stick and Prop savers and you'll find a bunch of stuff.

If you can't find it here, go to rcgroups.com and start reading the ultimate Slow Stick thread. It is gigantic and will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about Slow Sticks. Keep in mind you don't have to do every mod. I just did the simple ones and have had great success with my SS.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:02 PM
rubychild

I believe the Slow stick uses 1180 props. My Slo-V uses 1147 props and these two planes are very similar. The 1180 is actually considered as a good upgrade for the slo-v. My guess is that the Parkzone 1147 props could be just fine for the Slow Stick.

I'm telling you this because parkzone's 1147 prop for the slo-v seems undestructible! I never had the chance to see the GWS 1180 yet but the parkzone 1147 plastic is very flexible and though.

Hey I crashed so many times on the nose so far and no prop broken. I once crashed so hard that the prop. shaft proke in two pieces, the motor mount exploded (motor hanging badly), but even with a bad nose crash like this one, the prop didn't broke at all.

So that's about it. On the other hand, you might just be fine with many GWS 1180 extra. Only takes a minute to switch...

.fs.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:33 PM
Time Pilot

The Slow Stick will fly with an 11 x 4.7 prop. I never did like the way the SS flew with it though, not fast enough for me. It was like driving a car around in 2nd gear. Lots of get up, but not much go. Flew with 12 x 6's too, but the 11 x 8 remains my favorite prop for the SS.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:58 PM
Diggidy

Flew my slow stick for the first time today and i am hooked. What a great plane. I started out this morning in about 2 to 3 mile an hour winds and it handled perfectly. Later in the afternoon i went out and tried again except this time i was cocky and the wind had kicked up to about 6 to 8mph. Low and behold five minutes later my prop doesn't exactly look as good as it used to.

Gonna see if i can find the stock prop somewhere in the internet. It has to be out there somewere.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:46 PM
bryris

Horizon hobby has the stock props. Bought a couple today, in fact.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:12 PM
PhoenixM3

Time Pilot,

I've switched to a prop saver and shifted to a 10x47 APC brand prop. I've also learned to balance the plane better and use more controlled stick inputs. I'm getting about 10 minutes from a 720mah battery and switching to a fresh battery, just to be safe. My daughter loved running beneath the plane as I flew it on the school playground. This plane really is fun to fly. I plan on clipping the wings, to see if that will allow for more stable flight in low winds. I bet this baby could hover with a little brushless outrunner and a 10 inch prop

Thanks for the advice,

Jeff
Old 11-18-2004, 01:51 AM
Time Pilot

PhoenixM3,

Good to hear you're having fun. Not to spoil your daughter's fun though, you may want to reconsider her running underneath. It is light, it is a slow flyer, on calm days I've never seen a SS do anything crazy, but there is always the what if's....
Old 11-21-2004, 04:01 PM
PhoenixM3

Yeah,

You're right. I have the motor brake set, and if I lose control, I shut the throttle and recover. It's not really directly over; I'm just kinda buzzing around....

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 11-21-2004, 07:46 PM
Rat1

Hate to scare anyone but I have seen the Slow Stick actually penetrate through the outer door skin of a car door. Thsi being said I would also recomend not having young childeren in the flight field. I too have kids that would love to run around under my flights but I do not allow it. I just could not bear the idea of them being hurt from a mistake made by myself.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:09 PM
AndyL

Jeff, You can repair SS props with medium CA! It works great. Props can be purchased from aeromicro.com and balsapr.com. Both sites have alot of info on prop size.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:44 PM
bh95

I'm a new SS flyer myself. I really like this plane; the things that has helped the most are: minimizing the throws of the rudder and the elevator, ordering a hardened prop shaft, APC props, and a "Wobbley Prop Adapter" from allerc.com. I have not broken a prop or bent a prop shaft since I got the aforementioned parts and I have crashed quite few times. The other day while flying in too strong of a wind, I broke the tail. Another SS flyer was flying nearby and I went over to talk with him. He had replaced his SS tail with a tail from a Yardstick. He told me it was a lot more durable and it looked good too. That afternoon, I ordered a Yardstick tail for mine. It was less than $10.00 from Tower Hobbies. Have fun!!!