Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Historical accuracy???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 10:34 PM
hargravebl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Historical accuracy???

Fellow flyer's, I went to my local flying field today and I was asked a question by another pilot that I wanted to get some opinion on.

I had my GWS ME-109 with me, I have a pic added for reference, and the guy asked me why I had the swastikas on the tail. I was kinda taken off guard by the question because it never really occured to me...I told him it was for historical accuracy of the model, and not wanting to be insensitive, I asked if it offended him. He said that it did and just stared at me, I didn't know what to say and I felt a little embarassed. His second question shocked the hell out of me...he asked if I was a nazi![:@] I was so mad and shocked I didn't know what to say...I of course told him "hell no" and again stated that it was just for historical accuracy of the ME-109, it was part of the insignia on all Luftwaffe planes during WWII. I was totally miffed by this guy because he just stared at me like he wasn't getting it, he must know something about history and what I was getting at but he just didn't seem to understand.

Anyway, I just wanted to get some views on this...do you guys that have built Luftwaffe planes put the swastikas on or leave them off? Better yet, how do you feel about those who put them on? After calming down here at home I thought about how the guy felt, he was an older gent and maybe he fought in WW2 and had a point...I've since thought about painting over the swastika decals on my bird but wanted some opions first.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32235.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	197928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70089.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	197929  
Old 11-29-2004, 11:31 PM
Arthur_GA
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Historical accuracy???

I think you have the right to keep your model as it is. He has the right to be offended by the swastika, but not by your model, since it only represents an actual aircraft. It doesn't mean you're a Nazi.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:40 PM
afineman

hargravebl

Well you are accurate, that is normal for the ME http://www.photovault.com/Link/Milit...ft/Me-109.html , and here http://www.photovault.com/Link/Milit...ft/Me-109.html as well as here http://www.jibble.org/pics/index.php...G6+taxiing.jpg as well as this model sight http://www.flypcm.com/109.htm .

But is accuracy more important than running the risk of offendind someone, that is only a question you can answer, and just how accurate is the GWS ME109 anyways.

It is a tough call[>:], you could produce dozens of vintage pictures with the offending emblem, but unless the GWS Me 109 is an identical scale model, I would of left it off.

Tough call, My less than 2 cents worth
Old 11-29-2004, 11:58 PM
Arthur_GA

I think that it's one thing to make a SCALE model SCALE (regardless of the manufacturer), another thing would be sticking a swastika on your trainer's fin, or on your pattern plane's wing.

Anyone who is offended by a SCALE model airplane's paint scheme is NOT a modeler, or shouldn't go to a model airplane flying field.

If this individual goes to a museum displaying wartime artifacts (which may include swastika-bearing artifacts) would he/she feel offended? It's HISTORY.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:46 AM
hargravebl

Exactly! It's not like I'm taking a E-Starter, Beaver or Cessna 182 and sticking a swastika on the tail. Do I get offended by a Japanese Zero because it bombed Pearl Harbor? No, and I live a half a hour away from the Arizona and see it on my drive to work everyday! []

I don't know, I can see both sides of this...and I can agree with what Brent said above also, I would rather not have the thing on the tail if it runs the risk of me offending someone. But at the same time I would think that r/c pilots, modelers and history buffs would and can appreciate a historical looking plane...even if it has a swastika on the tail. I mean come on, do model makers in the film industry leave off swasktias because they are afraid of offending the audience?
Old 11-30-2004, 03:08 AM
Arthur_GA

Ask any Top Gun pilot if they would leave the swastika off their WWII planes...
Old 11-30-2004, 06:55 AM
Woody 51

Sure if you turned up at a Veteran's day with a Swastika flag, then people would have a right to make a noise.

How many of us drive German or Japanese Cars? Or TV's etc?

Is the US Army's 7th Cavalry Regiment offended by Native Americans? Just where do we draw the line on historical fact.

The guys' a tosser! Take no notice. It's your scale model and if he is offended, he can always go elsewhere.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:50 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: afineman

But is accuracy more important than running the risk of offendind someone?

YES.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:32 AM
cimmy

I am not really going to comment on the graphics because they are only pictures. However I do believe that the bases that this conversation has no baring on whether the Swastika should stay or go ,but on whether we are willing to offend some on over a model. A piece of moving art.
There are many things that offend me but I am glad that someone gets to display or speak about those things that bother me.That is one of the great things about living in the free world. Now I don't mean to say that Hargravebl has any reason to think that he has offended anyone. He has created an accurate depiction of a ME-109 complete with the correct tail markings. Also this person has every right to feel offended by what happened during that time period and the atrocities committed by the German military, but not by a model of one of the finest aircraft,of the day, to fly. Also he has no right to assign blame to any one except those who committed the original offense.
mike
Old 11-30-2004, 10:58 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I choose to live in the south.
I see signs every day that offend me.
This is america, while I do not agree with many political, social, and religious beliefs, I defend the right of anyone to believe as they do so long as it doesn't affect me. I take it you live in Hawaii. You have the right to brandish a swastikas and show that the Nazi's and the Luftwaffe ruled the skies over germany in the 30's and 40's This is your right to do this.
Just don't expect everyone to agree.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:42 PM
WWI ace

I think you built an excellant plane! Don't paint over anything. If you do happen to meet up with this guy again just explain to him that you did not build the plane to be offensive or to make a statement. The plane was built to be true to the real plane. If he doesn't understand that, tell him to go build a Mustang and shoot it down!!! That's what the Allies did in WW2 when they were offended by a ME-109!!!
Old 12-01-2004, 09:23 PM
hargravebl

I like your view WW1 Ace!
Old 12-03-2004, 05:12 PM
crashawk

if he is offended by a swastika then what is next? maybe he will think electric planes should be banned at the field and if you where nice enough to remove your swastikas maybe you will be nice enough to leave the field with out putting up a fight. does that make any sense cause it's happening in America right now with a lot of other things. it started with prayer taken out of school, now some schools don't say the pledge of alligance and they are removing anything biblical from govt buildings, etc, etc.....
besides, it's none of his business whether you are a natzi or nat, you have that right in America.

boy I really made a stink, didn't I.

Jason