Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

sky scooter pro2 gearbox..

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 04:48 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sky scooter pro2 gearbox..

what are the pros and cons of the aluminum 3:1 gearbox offered at servocity..compared to the enclosed 3:1 gearbox by mp jet?..also..will the pixie20p esc..be able to handle a 8cell- 1850 mah nimh in the sky scooter with the stk motor..and will the pixie 20p also be good if I decide to go with a different motor in the future..like a zagi 400 reverse..or even a brushless..thanks ..
Old 12-12-2004, 02:45 AM
NotAnAceYet
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: sky scooter pro2 gearbox..

Rumme - I have the Sky Scooter with Mods to include the aluminum 3:1 ball bearing gearbox, air scoop for cooling, the Zagi 400 reverse timed motor, and the Pixie 20 esc. I'm using CBP 7 cell 1650 NiMh batteries. In this configuration I draw 9 amps WOT. Adding another cell, per your question, would certainly fall within the capabilities of the Pixie 20. As far as the difference between the stock gearbox and the aluminum bb - I don't have a good answer, except the very long thread in this forum and many recommendations to change out the gear box when you change the motor - so I did - result with the new gearbox and Zagi is a lot more power and still 10+ minutes flying time with the 7 cell NiMhs.
The Pixie 20 will not work with any brushless motor. Brushless motors require a special "brushless" esc. The jump to brushless is quite an investment, so I haven't gone that way yet!

Happy flying!

Larry
Old 12-14-2004, 04:01 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

notanaceyet....when you say you got more power with the b.b. gearbox/9x6 s.f. prop...did you mean to say you got more top speed??.....which in essence isnt power..power would be more climbing ability/looping ability..etc...the reason im asking is because i just did that upgrade and although i havent flown yet {due to bad weather}..i notice a drop in power just when i hold the plane and run the new setup...i have been told that this is normal..and that the speed increase will result in a slight power decrease with this modification..
Old 12-14-2004, 11:28 PM
NotAnAceYet
My Feedback: (9)

Rumme - what I noticed was increased speed - I also replaced the stock motor with the Zagi 400 - are you still running the stock motor?
Old 12-15-2004, 10:06 AM
RickAvery

Rumme,
Check the lash on the new box and give her a run. I think you’ll find, as NotAnAceYet mentioned, an increase in speed. I found this to be a good thing as it made the plane a more stable and responsive flier. Loops, Rolls and other tricks are more positive with a little extra speed. As for the zagi motor, I have tried them and they work fine but I have also had basic speed 400 can motors work just as well or better. What I’ve been able to find out is that these 400 can motors are manufactured in the same place. Almost all of them,. Zagi, Graupner, Permex, all look identical side by side. The quality control can vary widely. Some claim to time the motors for better performance and they may well do just that. The best 400 can motor I ever saw was a cheap one from hobby people for $10.00. It was one my bro-in-law put in his sky scooter after wearing out a few others. It was broke in, in water. That motor went noticeably faster, stronger and lasted longer than any I’ve seen since. I think it’s just the luck of the draw. The point is, don’t expect a zagi motor to turn your scooter into a pylon racer. You may or may not notice any difference at all. But I think I mentioned before that IMHO, the biggest single performance upgrade was to get a better battery. Good luck!
Rick
Old 12-15-2004, 11:06 AM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

ok,,,thatnks for the info...still havent been able to fly due to 20 mph consistent winds where im at...when this stk motor goes up..i will try the other 400 can motors i have that came stk with my t-hawk...i doubt i will be flying the t-hawks i bought anymore..they were more or lesss great trainers..but not very modifiable after one has learned the basics on them...
Old 12-15-2004, 11:03 PM
Hepdog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One more great thing about a Scooter is it handles the wind quite well. Once you get the hang of flying it, I found it quite comfortable to fly in way windier conditions than I'll fly anything else. Just for kicks I flew it once where it was so windy, there was very little forward speed at WOT. I had to hang on to it very tightly just to launch it Downwind turns were a bugger of course. I was seeing if I could slope soar it off a small hill and it actually worked out not bad. Great little airplane.