Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Best Ready to Fly Electric Less than $150 ??

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Best Ready to Fly Electric Less than $150 ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 07:06 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Ready to Fly Electric Less than $150 ??

Hi everyone,

As usual, Christmas is rushing in, and I want to get my nephew a ready to fly electric plane. I normally fly pattern and have zero experience with the electrics or the ready to fly stuff.

SO...... I am asking for opinions on the best "READY TO FLY" R/C electric under $150...... and, I am looking for a "1 box" suggestion.. not a group of parts to buy.. but "1 Box" that can be "assembled" and flown pretty easily for a 15 year old boy......

Thanks for all your help in advance... I figure I've got till Friday to order.. so... HELP !!!!!!

Dan... aka deadstik....[8D]
Old 12-15-2004, 07:36 AM
thenamshow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best Ready to Fly Electric Less than $150 ??

maybe the wing dragon for hobby lobby its great for beginners and has everything, do you mind putting things together?
Old 12-15-2004, 07:50 AM
TenTen

I have an Aerobird Challenger and a Hobbico Ventura and I love them both. I am a beginner myself, I learned to fly with the Aerobird and just moved to the Ventura.

They are both completely ready to fly (just adjust the wing and batteries) and both under 150$.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:59 AM
RickAvery

Without a doubt, The Sky Scooter pro II. Real 3ch. 72mhz radio, real hitech HS-55 servos, aileron, elevator, throttle control. Easy assembly in less than an hour. A great flier right out of the box.

I’ll add this edit; I’m assuming you will be there to give instruction to the 15yr old recipient of the sky scooter. To a first time ever flier at 15, with no instruction, the sky scooter will be a handful and would probably be turned into multi pieces of foam in short order. I would also recommend the slo-v as mentioned below. It is also a RTF with everything in the box flier. They fly very well and slow, a good thing for first timers. They’re also a good thing for experienced speed nuts who want to just mellow out and putt around for awhile. Good luck.
Rick
Old 12-15-2004, 09:20 AM
cadetman

i Too would recommend the Sky Scooter but would add Make sure he downloads the FMS free flight simulator of the net
once he has his cordination skills sorted let the Scooter Rip
Enjoy
Cadetman
Old 12-15-2004, 10:29 AM
INeedHelp
My Feedback: (1)

The Slow V is $150 and everything comes in the box that you need to just charge the batteries and go fly.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:13 AM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

SKY SCOOTER PRO 2 ...SKY SCOOOTER PRO2....IS JUST FOR YOUUUUUU...promise,,,but spend a little time with a flight simulator...i just bought my sky scooter pro2 from hobby people for $139.00..it is the best most complete easy to fly rtf availiable...and an questions you have about it can be answered on this site..trust me/...ive asked em all..LOL...
Old 12-15-2004, 11:23 AM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

deastick..the only alternative to the sky scooter..would be the T-HAWK..{my opinion only}...the 1 advantage the t-hawk has is its a pusher plane..so the propeelr is mouunted behind the cockpit...meaning that when there is a front nose crash..the propeller/motor/motor shaft..doesnt get damaged,also the t-hawk is made from a lightweight but strong plastic...so it can take a ton of abuse without worrying about it breakling in pieces and having to epoxy it...with that said...the sky scooter is still the best flying plane i have owned right out of the box..and if you do the flight simulator..theres a good chance you may not even crash it on the first flights.1 opther thing to consider...more then likely the t-hawk will get a lil borng after a few months time of flying...and they are not easily modified to become a faster more aerobatic plane {they are basically a trainer with a set speed of about 0-20 mph}.. the sky scooter can be modified..and i also feel the sky scooter electrics are better then the t-hawk electrics...more industry standard... the sky scooter is a complete RTF..you just need 8-aa batteries for TX...and it even comes with a charger that is defintiely not top of the line..but will suffice for a while..
Old 12-16-2004, 01:19 AM
scupking

All Im going to say is Sky Scooter Pro 2. This was my first plane. The scooter flys great. I ended up crashing the plane lots of times and had to trash it but that was because I got to confident in my flying and decided to do crazy stuff low to the ground. I now have a Shock flyer and I think I will be getting a Space Scooter kit for christmass If I were you I would get the Sky Scooter Pro 2.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:25 PM
lozza

Wing Dragon would be a good choice. There is lots of information in these forums saying why. Then graduate to the Wing Dragon Sportster, also known as the Begin Air.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:49 AM
crossj_2002

Well I just ordered a T-hawk. I'm brand new to r/c flying although it's been something that i've wanted to do for a long time. I bought a really cheap foam 2-ch cargo-plane like kit and had some fun flying it, but a few hard crashes and it was totally wasted. The last crash, it just nosed down from about 100 ft and turned into hundreds of foam particles as it struck the ground.

I'm very excited about the hawk's durability and ease of flying! I'm not going to be able to hardly sleep until it arrives.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:04 AM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

cross...I think you made a great choice...excellent rtf flyer..and a great value...most improtant thing to remeber..is that if your going to crash..turn the motor off completey before it makes impact..whether its with the ground a tree or your girlfriend/wife..lol...
Old 01-31-2005, 02:07 AM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

p.s..and when you install the tail section into/thru the back of the boom..do it gently..to makes sure you dont damage the antenaa that runs thru the hollow section fo the boom..I actually took my whole antennna out of there..and wrapped around the outside of the boom..then just put a small piece of tape around the end of the antenna and the boom...never have to worry about damaging the antenna now..when I take out or install the tail section...I just wrote a GREAT rightup on the t-hawk over at the rcgroups.com forum..you may want to check it out..I didnt do it here..casue theres some goof who follows me around..and calls any of the planes I recoemmend P.O.S///...
Old 01-31-2005, 07:00 AM
Maine_Flyer

MP you've got an RC stalker? LMAO...
Old 01-31-2005, 07:56 AM
Rat1

ORIGINAL: Maine_Flyer

MP you've got an RC stalker? LMAO...

I am LMFAO at this one. We got a guy that runs all over the net telling people stories about two so called great models when there are others out there that as just as good if not better for the same money. Never ever heard him talk about anything other then a scooter or a T hawk so I highly doubt he has tried anything else or could he be a spammer for these brands.

Oh well to each his own I quess.

All I know is from my own first hand experience and from watching others in my area fly theirs. Oh but I am the goof.

MP, you do not want me to post after you then do not give me a reason to have to defend myself by using words like goof ,uninformed etc.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions without be called names. I quess I could go all over the new and call anyone that recomends a T hawk a complete idiot or anyone that recomends the Scooter an uninformed imbasil.

I give these models the full respect they deserve by not saying much about them. There is so much more out there to be had for equal value.

Oh by the way I think you have it wrong because I feel I am being stalked.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:22 AM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

Rat..I didnt even mention your name..you have a guilty concsious??..AND BELIEVE ME..its you that has been the stalker..seems you have replied negatively with misinformation and lies when I suggest planes to others..DO YOU NEED EXAMPLES OF YOUR LIES..ok..heres on about a month ago...a newbie wanted a an inexpensive rtf for under $200..when I recomeeended the t-hawk..you came in that thread right after my post..and called the t-hawk .."A DISMALL FLYER AT BEST"...this is a LIE..nothing could be further from the truth..so I dont know why you would do this..ecspecially to a newbie that I was giving advice too..some wikll say you are entilted to your opinon..but in some cases..peopels opinions can be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to be 100% wrong..like if I were to go around and tell people that the slowstick was TO FAST...that would be lie..even if it was my opinion..heres another example of your lies..2 weeks ago someone asked for a good 1st time airelon plane..when I recvoemneded the sky-scooter pro2 //you immediatley came and replied to my recomendation..that the SKY SCOOTER PRO2 WAS A P.O.S......another LIE..I despise people like you in this hobby...and then the other day..you have the nerve to imply to others that I have only flown 1 or 2 models..and am not qualified to offer advice to newbies..your just bad news IMO..please..stop following me around and replying to my posts..you did it again here...and I didnt even mention your name in my post..like you have done once again in your posts..OH..heres another LIE you posted the other day about the t-hawk..you said "Once a newbie gets the plane in the air..it will QUICKLY be out of radio range..please stop your lies ...your hurting newbies who need INFORMATIVE truths about planes to get them started in this hobby..
Old 01-31-2005, 01:33 PM
crossj_2002

Oops, I didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest, just wanted to express my excitement about flying.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:38 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

cross..you didnt..evrything is cool..someone over at rcgroups just bought a t-hawk as thier 1st plane..and flew it in bad cnditions..small area/with trees/wind /cold..etc...and was succesfull..hopefully you have better conditions to fly in..will make it alot easier...just remeber to turn off that motor beofre a crash..which is something you need to learn to do with almost any r/c plane..its a good habit
Old 01-31-2005, 01:41 PM
crossj_2002

Oh hey, while I'm thinking of it, I've heard some people say that the first couple times flying the T-hawk, you should leave the landing gear off and let it belly land. What's the reasoning behind this? Any suggestions?
Old 01-31-2005, 01:48 PM
Rat1

Oh am I hurting your feelings????? Nothing I have posted has been a lie by anymeans and if your were to read my replies carefully you would see that I am talking about people in MY area and myself that have had the experiences I have posted. Believe it or not but some people do have their opinions. My opinion is that the T hawk is a dismal flyer thus making it not so great for a new flyer. For an Aileron Trainer I feel there are much better models otu there. A very good example is the Mountain Models Magpie. This in my opinion is a great model and it comes with two wings, slow fly wing without ailerons and a Sport wing with ailerons. It is my opinion that there is nothing available on the market that can touch the Magpie as far as ease of flying and versatility. But then again this is my opinion and also the opinion of many others that have purchased it and posted about it on the net.

For RTF type models I would say that HobbyZone and ParkZone wrote and still own the book in this catagory. Even though ParkZone has been slow at getting some of their parts out they are still one of the best available. But then again this is my opinion and also the opinion of many thousands that have purchased from this manufacturer. Sorry but the numbers do not lie.

When I receive a proper flying T hawk then my view may change but I will not spend my hard earned money on one. Same goes for the scooters. I do admit the pro scooter looks much better since it got ride of that dorky looking head but I have seen a few of them fly and I also tried to fly one and after this I would not spend my money on these either.

Again these are my opinions and I am entitled to them.

Oh just a bit of information. Unless the admin of this board has a problem with me then I am entitled to post when and were I want.

Oh I did not start paying attention to MP till acusations were made in my direction.

So I quess I would say that maybe someone should quit acting like a _____ and get on with their life and allow people to have their opinions and quit telling people that everything posted are not true and all out lies.

It is not a lie that I think the T hawk is a dismal flyer and that the scooters are a POS. This is my opinion. It is called living in a free world and if we are nto entitled to our opinions then we can no longer call it free now can we.

A new flyer asked about a model and I along with others had agreed it was a proper model. It was only yourself that said it was not a proper model for the task. Oh and believe me the Slow stick is a very capable trainer if directions are followed carefully during set up.

Since my opinions are considered a Lie in your eyes then maybe it is ok for myself to call you a lier also since our opinions differ. This calling each other liers can go on forever if we let it.

Just think about it for a bit and leave it at that and quit saying things are a lie See what happens. Life will go along much smoother.

It would ahve stopped along time ago if you would not have kept pushing one model when someone suggested that somethign else might suit the needs. you could have said that everyone is entitled to their opinion and left it at that.

I am done with this thread for now and if you would like to discuss this further then please do so via PM or email.

Start throwing acusations around again and it may not be done. But then that will only get the thread locked down.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:50 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

are you flying above grass..or on a harder surface..like a packed dirt..if your flying over grass..jsut take the landing gear off..belly landing the plane is fine..since the area that hits the grass on the landing is plastic...if your flying over a softer packed dirt area..you can do a rolling takeff...and landing..up to you..some poeple prefer hand launches...for me..when I first started..I noticed that hand launching was harder..I fund that most of my crahses happened becasue of my hand launch..whether it was becuase I dint toss the plane with the right amount of force..or on to much of an angle..or becuase I wasnt able to get both hands on the controller quick enough..after the hand launch..to compensate for any adjustments I needed to do..my most succesfull launches in the beggining were from a rolling take off from a baseball diamond area..where there was soft dirt..but it was hard enuff for the plane to take off and land on....which allowed me to keep both hands on the tx at all times..youll have to expiriement on which way works best for you..also..the landing gera adds a bit of weight...which slows the plane down a bit..which may be a GOOD thing for a newbies 1st flights...
Old 01-31-2005, 01:55 PM
crossj_2002

Yeah, I imagined that the extended landing gear would add a small moment arm when trying to roll the airplane. I can see how that slower response could be a good thing so that i don't accidentally roll it over and have it start to plummet towards the ground. For the most part, I fly on grass, however, there are some baseball diamonds around here that i could use for takeoffs. One is especially nice. The outfield was extended into a full soccer field with only a chalk line denoting where the wall would be. That means more space!!! I imagine I'll probably need it. Now if the postman would just hurry up and get it here.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:57 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

OK..RAT..you are right,,the t-hawk is a dismall flyer..and the sky-scooter pro2 is a P.OS....so now that we agree {actually we dont}..theres no need for you to state these things everytime I suggest them to others who I feel will be succesfull with them..theres on difference that your refusing to accept about this whole subject...its not that I disagree with the planes you suggest..its that I disagree with the planes you continually bad mouth that I suggest...if you dont like the planes I suggest..you are entilteld to say so..but do it with some C L A S S ..dont just hop onto a thread and make a ridiculous vague lying statement ..like "THE SKY SCOOTER IS A P.O.S"....these are the kind of statements a 8 yr old might make..but surely not a grown man like yourself who has a family..and supposedly belongs to a flying r/c club//...p.s..if no one at your flying club has been able to successfully fly the t-hawk..id suggest they get some advice from a BEGGINER over at rcgroups who just had his very 1st flight with the t-hawk..in windy conditions /a small area with trees and bitter cold...are you sure the peopel at your club arent putting the t-hawk wing on upside down??..this may be the reason as to why you call it a DISMALL FLYER AT BEST'..lol..
Old 01-31-2005, 02:00 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

cross...make sure when you push the prop onto the motor shaft..you have the wing asembly off..so you can apply pressure on the back of the motor casing..this will allow you to puch the prop all the way on with the neccesary force..without concaving in the plactic housing section where the motor is mounted...cross..if you get a chance ..read my post over at rcgroups.com...its called "T-HAWK..possibly the best rtf value around..I list pros and cons of what I consider to be a great plane..
Old 01-31-2005, 02:06 PM
Rat1

There you go again with the llier thing. When will it stop. Why am I lier for stating my opinion???? Oh well I quess when you have to deal with imaturity you have to live with being called names.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.