Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

New Moderator

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 06:55 PM
rcav8or
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Moderator

Hi, all...

Thought I'd introduce myself, as one of the Moderator's in this forum...

My name is Roger Phillips, and I live in Oxford, Indiana, 20 miles from Lafayette, home of the Purdue Boilermakers.

I have been flying since '88 with a short hiatus in there, while rebuilding a 110 year old Victorian home. I work as an Electronic Technician with the US Postal Service.

I have built practically every sort of plane, other than multi-engine, and scale. I am not the classic airplane-buff turned R/C'er, but rather I enjoy R/C primarily, and planes were the logical progression - something about three dimensions!!

I currently have several park flyers, and have converted some stick-n-tissue planes. My 10 year old daughter is now flying a LiteStick, and actually landed it her 2nd flight! Looking forward to her .40 size trainer, come spring.

I prefer to "scratch" build, and I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 plans, from Peanut to Giants. Someday I hope to catalog them all, and provide a "lending" service to potential builders. If it comes about, you all will be the first to know!

Hopefully, I will be able to spread some of my hard-earned (hard-learned??) knowledge to this forum.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:37 AM
tam popo

Default RE: New Moderator

Hiya Roger! As a newbie returned to the sport and finding this website invaluable for info etc, could you xplain the role of a 'moderator' on this forum - how do you become a moderator, your responsibilities etc, but more importantly how big is your garage!!! Thanks for any clarification.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Roger,
Welcome.
Do you fly at the water company's land along the wabash river?
I have flown there several times and while the runway is short, it is a nice area.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:46 PM
rcav8or

Wow, a blast from the past - over 5 years!

I'll try to answer the questions...

Tam - I was one of the first hundred or so members. I took on the role of moderator, for numerous forums, because there just weren't that many people involved. It took a LOT of time, which I gladly spent. It was basically trying to answer questions, when the membership didn't, stopping fights before they started, and making sure people posted appropriately. I enjoyed doing it! I even went to the Toledo show, and met the original "owner", and had a blast. I did the Mod duties for several years, before I just didn't have the time anymore, what with a teenage daughter, and life in general. When I "resigned", I was dropped like a hot potato! I didn't expect any payment, but it would have been nice to have received at least a complimentary "Platinum" membership, a "Thank You", or SOMEthing after two years and countless hours doing the duties for free....you have to be dedicated, and ready to be kicked to the curb, when you get "burned out"...

As for the garage, I gave it over to my wife, after she graciously allowed me to build a 28' X 40' heated Pole Barn. Gotta love it!! Now I have enough room, if I ever finish getting it organized (don't tell HER, but I STILL have a dozen or so planes, hidden in HER garage!!).

Geist - yes, that is the field I learned to fly on back in '89. Jerry Dillman was my main instructor, although a few others had a hand in it. You probably know a few of the local club members - the Lafayette Cloud Jockeys. I am a past-president. That is now called the "north field", as the club also has use of a full-scale landing strip in a plane-based housing tract about 20 minutes south of town. I haven't flow there, but have been there, and it's really impressive. That's the "south field". It's a little far for me, so I drive 7 miles to a buddy with a flying field cut into 40 acres. 360° flying!!

The Wabash has flooded badly in the last few years - I think 2 or 3 years ago, we could only fly at the north field 3 or 4 weeks all summer, that's why they pursued the south field. I haven't been a member of the Jockeys for about 4 years. Not when I would only fly at their field once every 2 or 3 years...

Roger
Old 02-21-2007, 06:19 PM
tam popo

Thanks for taking the time to reply and its go to see that you're still flying!! Ive learned (1) check the date of e-mail i'm replying to and (2) flyers will travel miles to get a decent strip/club, perhaps thats the beauty of electric and park flyers. Also, if I learn half as much and acquire half the passion you have then I'll die a happy flyer! THanks for your time!!!
Old 02-21-2007, 06:52 PM
rcav8or

Tam....we will ALWAYS fly, no matter what the circumstances!

I am really loving the park flyers - I used to fly a little 1 foot by 1/2 foot flyer, in the lot that I built the pole barn in...miss the field, but appreciated the barn!!!!

People who want to fly will find a way, no matter what it takes...I flew in a 1/2 gymnasium, to a big crowd...but I flew in a 200 acre field, as well. I will fly anything, anytime. I fust love to fly!!!

Fly on, buddy, fly on!!!

Saying al lthat, I have followed the UK as far as their regulating planes - I like the idea of the equivalent of the FFA governing it. I would LOVE to fly a 1/2 scale Cub, or any other plane!!!! And I would be safe. Wow, what an opportunity!!

Roger

Roger
Old 02-21-2007, 07:07 PM
tam popo

Thanks but can you educate myself and she who must be obeyed - what is a pole barn? Is a barn to keep poles in, a barn to keep pole cats in, where pole jumpers keep their equipment or is it for pole dancing? Just curious![:-]
Old 02-21-2007, 08:05 PM
rcav8or

Tam - a Pole Barn is a metal sided barn, that uses 6" X 6" poles for the uprights on the sides. then uses 2" X 4" purlings for the rest of it. It makes for a wide-open space, plus it's an economical way of building...here is a like to see what one looks like:[link]http://home.earthlink.net/~rickob/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/000_0066.jpg[/link]

The end isn't done, but you can see the construction. Mine has a cement floor, and a radiant tube heater, as well as a bathroom, complete with an auto-flush urinal. I'm really proud of it, in case you can't tell!!

Roger
Old 02-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I have been to the south field but didn't fly.
I was visiting some friends in Frankfort and headed over there after my visit.
I remember when the north field flooded.
The water was at the roof of the shed when I saw it.
Some said it was over the rooftops.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:47 AM
tam popo

Hiya! Fit floats a la Catolina!!
Old 02-22-2007, 10:41 AM
rcav8or

ORIGINAL: Geistware

I remember when the north field flooded.
The water was at the roof of the shed when I saw it.
Some said it was over the rooftops.
Yup, sure was! The whole field, golf course and all, was one big lake. I have some pictures someplace.

Nah, there was virtually NO bank to fly a Catalina from...just WAY too much water!

R
Old 02-25-2007, 04:47 PM
packyj

The north field probably is flooded right now

Welcome as moderator Roger, nice to see some people from the area on the forums
Old 02-28-2007, 06:26 PM
packyj

i went to "fly" at the south field today... i think I'll wait another few weeks [>:]
Old 03-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Pilot352

Yup, sure was! The whole field, golf course and all, was one big lake. I have some pictures someplace.
Sounds to me like a perfect time to test out some new floats on your plane!!!

-Pilot