Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Trimming the Hobbico Ventura

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 03:05 AM
TenTen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trimming the Hobbico Ventura

I am flying the Ventura for a while which is my second plane after an Aerobird Challenger.

I am having trouble trimming the Ventura because I actually do not Know how to do it. The Aerobird flew great out of the box and I fly alone, so the is no one to assist me.

My trouble is that I am not sure if I should trim the plane to fly level with full or half throttle. When I use half throttle I have to give a few clicks down trim so the plane flies level, but then when I use full throttle the plane goes up and stalls so I have to give full down trim. That way when I cut the motor the plane looses height very rapidly, faster than my Aerobird which is not a glider at all.

The GOG is correct. Any suggestions please?
Old 12-20-2004, 06:38 AM
cadetman

Default RE: Trimming the Hobbico Ventura

glaros
a solution is a bit more complicated than you think
the reason why a craft stays in level flight is because the lift thrust and drag are balanced
increase the thrust/speed and any aircraft will go upwards
there are ways to compensate for additional speed/thrust and that is to alter the thrust line of the motor to point downwards
so if you increase the power essentially the motor will pull the nose down,
The angle of attack of the wing maybe to high and with the additional speed it would Zoom Upwards
you could try a small packing piece under the trailing edge (cardboard or paper)
this would lower the angle of attack and give the wing a better speed/level range,
The centre of gravity also plays a very big part in level flight at different airspeeds
and i would suggest moving it forward and see if that helps,
it maybe a comination of all of these things that will make it fly level across a wider speed range.
One other thing Please dont take this the wrong way but i saw someone flying a craft similar to yours and having such a difficult time with it
so i went over and asked him if i could make a One small adjustment,
i unbanded the wing and turned it around Rebanded and said "Try That" !
Cadetman
Old 12-20-2004, 07:40 AM
TenTen

Thanks for the advice. I will experiment with the COG.

Should I place the piece of cardboard along the full length of the wind's trailing edge?
Old 12-20-2004, 08:06 AM
cadetman

the cardboard is just a pack piece to lift the trailing edge off the fuselage by a fraction of an inch, put the same size pack piece on both side were the wing touches the fuselage
Cadetman
Old 12-20-2004, 08:14 AM
TenTen

OK, thanks!

And I'll make sure the wings are at the right direction...
Old 12-20-2004, 11:22 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I typically trim my plane for half throttle or cruising speed. This allows me to fly level at normal speed without holding a stick offset.

I rarely use full throttle on my Ventura. Perhaps when launching or if needed to fly against strong wind or when the flight battery is near depletion.

I also increased my rudder throw by using the center hole on the control horn. This lets me have better control in windy conditions. I bought a second battery pack so I can fly for a while this Winter and land in the snow. The NiMH packs will work well in the Winter if you charge them before going out and keep them in your pocket until needed.