Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

glassing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 08:33 PM
E-snake
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glassing?

I've heard of people glassing foamies. My question is what materials are needed to do it? Also, what kind of weight does it add. Also, could someone give me a basic description of how to do it? Pictures?\

Thanks
Ethan
Old 12-27-2004, 11:45 PM
bugeater

Default RE: glassing?

This is a basic thread of my glassing effort: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293147
Basically you use water based polyurathane (WBPU) or similar (Minwax in your part of the world) and quite light cloth. You prep the plane with a lot of sanding and spakling and then paint the cloth on with the WBPU. Trim, followed by another coat of WBPU mixed with a filler (like babypowder or microspheres). Sand and repeat until you are happy with the finish.
It doesn't add too much weight (about an ounce to my formosa I think) and it does add a lot of strength. I have managed to crack my Formosa on a real bad landing, but I think that is bacause it teared on a cut edge around the fuse. If it wasn't glassed, it would have been a lot worse off.

Marty
Old 12-29-2004, 11:30 AM
E-snake
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: glassing?

Thanks, I probly will to do it on my future formosa.

Ethan